Restonic Nevada Plush vs. Healthcare Crescendo

I’d like your opinion if I may on the mattresses we’ve narrowed to. We have done a great amount of research, but would like your opinion as you are clearly very knowledgeable and this site has been wonderful (thank you). We live in the Des Moines area. We both need a supportive bed as mostly side sleepers – it seems plush or medium firmness is where we’ve gravitated.

We’ve gone to several local stores, but have narrowed mostly to two mattresses as Midwest Mattress. They are the Healthcare Crescendo (memory foam with gel) and the Restonic Nevada (latex). We had never heard of either brand, but we know brand does not necessarily mean quality. We find them both of comparable comfort, although the Healthcare mattress may have a slight edge on comfort in our lengthy “test run” at the store. On “paper” we both like the idea of the latex comfort layers of the Restonic, however. We aren’t fans of the thought of major off-gassing with memory foam however and the potential health concern. I know another similar post I read said the foams may be difficult to know as they may be made overseas. Can you help me understand whether this should be a major concern?

I also read on another website (sleeplikethedead) that the Restonic, because they are made up of latex, may last 5-8 years which seems the lower end, however, I am not sure the science behind that comment or how that stacks up compared with the others. I want to be sure they are of comparable support.

To help compare the materials/construction aspects - here are the layers -

Healthcare Crescendo:
11" Thick
One Sided (No-Flip/Neverturn)
3″ Gel Memory Foam
1″ Ventilated Memory Foam
3″ Plush Support Foam
4″ Posture Support Foam

Restonic Nevada Plush:
11" Thick
2" All Natural Talalay Comfort Layers
5" All Natural Talalay Latex Core
4″ polyfoam stabilizer base
All Natural Bamboo Cover

Would you have any suggestions as far as the quality or materials of either of these beds, or overall comments or other concerns about these options? Thank you very much!

Hi DayMatt,

The foam guidelines I would suggest following are in post #4 here. If any polyfoam or memory foam is made in North America or is CertiPur certified then for most people it would be "safe enough and I would assess and compare them based on density. In the case of latex, all the latex you are likely to encounter would either be certified by Oeko-Tex or Eco-Institut and any type or blend of latex would be “safe enough” for most people and would be a good quality material relative to other types of foam. A good manufacturer or retailer should be able to tell you whether any polyfoam or memory foam in a mattress is made in North America or is CertiPur certified if it’s not.

The durability of a mattress depends on its construction and the quality/durability of the materials inside it … not on the name of the manufacturer that makes it. Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials regardless of which manufacturer uses it in their mattress and with a good quality latex mattress that has no weak links in the design then 5 - 8 years would be a much shorter lifespan than I would expect. There is more about the many factors that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to each person in post #2 here and the posts it links to. All manufacturers make a wide range of different mattresses and some will be more durable and some will be less depending on the specific design and materials in the mattress so this kind of information can be very misleading when it doesn’t specify a specific mattress. If two different mattresses made by two different manufacturers used the same materials and design then they would be equally durable regardless of who made it.

Comfort and support or what I call PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) has nothing to do with durability because a mattress that uses lower quality and less durable materials can be just as comfortable and supportive as a mattress that uses higher quality and more durable materials. It just won’t last as long. The best way to find a mattress that is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP is with careful and objective testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post.

[quote]Healthcare Crescendo:
11" Thick
One Sided (No-Flip/Neverturn)
3″ Gel Memory Foam
1″ Ventilated Memory Foam
3″ Plush Support Foam
4″ Posture Support Foam[/quote]

Unfortunately the description doesn’t include the quality of any of the layers (see this article) so there is no way for me to make any meaningful comments about it. If you can find out the specs that are missing (the density of all the foam layers) then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials inside it. Without this information there is no way to identify whether a mattress has any weak links or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses.

[quote]Restonic Nevada Plush:
11" Thick
2" All Natural Talalay Comfort Layers
5" All Natural Talalay Latex Core
4″ polyfoam stabilizer base
All Natural Bamboo Cover[/quote]

Talalay latex is a high quality and durable material and this mattress doesn’t have any obvious weak links. I would want to know the density of the 4" polyfoam base layer (it’s likely 1.5 lb) so you could make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses but the density of the base layer wouldn’t be a significant durability issue if there is 7" of latex on top of it. If this mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then it would certainly be worth considering if it also compares well with your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you - we tried to get the densities from the sales folks at midwest mattress. We had some discrepancy in the figures given however ----

We called one location and they said they did not know the support layer on the Restonic Nevada Plush (latex) but that the 7" of latex made this insignificant? This location told us on the Healthcare Crescendo - 4.5# memory foam before a 20% gel (unsure of what that would mean exactly) and 1.8# support layer.

Since we wanted to know more about the Restonic we called another location that had a floor model. At that location we were told that the Restonic was a 1# support layer, but also echoed comments on 7" latex layers being the important consideration not this support, and told us only 4# on the Healthcare Crescendo, with a 1.8# support layer.

We did try one more location just to try to verify this information since it wasn’t quite the same. The third store told us the Healthcare was 4# memory foam with a 2.5# support layer, and the Restonic was also 2.5# under 7" of talaley latex.

For what it’s worth I thought I read in someone else’s post that the Restonic was thought to be 1.5# but that was not from the manufacturer, etc. I know the Healthcare website is not super helpful, and I read another post here that they were not very responsive about this information. The website features one at 3# that may be close (different style name), but likely not the same exactly as I’m not sure it listed any type of gel.

I’m not sure what to think of all these differences. I suppose my guess would be the 1.5 or 1.8 on the Healthcare for support layer, and the 4# for the memory foam. And with the Restonic? 7" latex, and maybe a 1.5 or 1.8 as well? The 1# threw me off - hopeful that was incorrect.

That being the case, do you have any advise for us? Thank you!!

Hi DayMatt,

I would agree with this for the most part but I would still want to know to make more meaningful comparisons and because in much higher than average weight ranges the density of the deeper layers can make a bigger difference than they would for most people.

[quote]Since we wanted to know more about the Restonic we called another location that had a floor model. At that location we were told that the Restonic was a 1# support layer

And with the Restonic? 7" latex, and maybe a 1.5 or 1.8 as well? The 1# threw me off - hopeful that was incorrect.[/quote]

I would be somewhat uncomfortable if the support layer was only 1 lb even if it was deep in the mattress because it could certainly be a weak link in the mattress. I couldn’t see any reason to use foams of this low density in a mattress in this budget range other than the cost savings involved and I would much prefer to see 1.5 lbs or higher. Having said that … the 1 lb spec isn’t correct (see further in this post).

I’m guessing you mean the Restonic here. The 2.5 lb density also isn’t correct.

The variance in the specs were a little confusing to me so I called Joe Luhman (the owner) and he confirmed that the base layer was between 1.5 and 1.8 lbs (it can vary sometimes depending on which foam manufacturer their Restonic licensee is using) which would be fine in terms of durability in this mattress. He also told me that he would let his staff know to make sure they provide accurate base layer information instead of just focusing on the specs of the comfort layers.

[quote] This location told us on the Healthcare Crescendo - 4.5# memory foam before a 20% gel (unsure of what that would mean exactly) and 1.8# support layer.

told us only 4# on the Healthcare Crescendo, with a 1.8# support layer.

The third store told us the Healthcare was 4# memory foam with a 2.5# support layer[/quote]

I also confirmed with Joe that the memory foam in the comfort layers were 4 lb density. He wasn’t sure of the density of the base layer but he believed off the top of his head that it would also be in the 1.5 to 1.8 lb range. It certainly wouldn’t be below 1.5 and he said he would confirm this and let me know.

The Healthcare mattresses are made by Healthcare foam in China and I would also read post #2 here and the post it links to about some of the uncertainty that can be involved with purchasing a mattress that is made and shipped from China which I would also take into account as part of your purchase decision but they have sold these for several years and have had good results with them in terms of lack of returns and durability so the compression of the mattresses during shipping from China and storage hasn’t been a significant issue. They are also CertiPur certified so they meet the memory foam density guidelines I would suggest (see post #4 here) as long as you aren’t in a much higher than average weight range.

I would always tend to avoid guessing … but hopefully the information here can help you make a more informed decision :slight_smile:

Post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that may help you with any final choices.

Phoenix