Restopedic

New user here.
I’m seeing the Restopedic name in several threads and it’s local to my area and we like to support the local economy.
Are there spring mattresses in their lineup that stand out from a quality or materials standpoint?

Hi EddieC,

Restopedic does make a range of innerspring mattresses yes but I’m not familiar with the specifics of the materials in the mattresses they have on their floor and it’s always best to talk to them directly for this type of information. They can also custom build. There is some generic information about each of their mattresses on their site here but it’s always important to make sure you know the specifics (see this article).

Having said that … smaller local manufacturers such as Restopedic would typically use higher quality materials in their mattresses in every budget range than the larger mainstream manufacturers.

The mattress shopping tutorial has more information about finding a mattress that would “stand out” for you (a mattress that is best for each person would be unique to that person). In most cases … the “materials value” of the mattresses made by the same manufacturers would be similar across their lineup although mattresses in higher budget ranges will usually have higher margins. There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

Unfortunately I don’t know enough to have that conversation.
It seemed that in comparison, say to GoldBond, there seemed to be many fewer material layers and thicknesses in the descriptions. And only one appeared to have pocket coils that I seem to read is of advantage.
But then again, not knowing any of the ins and outs I’d hardly be qualified to judge or set the specifications for a built to order piece.
Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of time.

Hi EddieC,

Reading the tutorial post and following the steps there will give you all the information you need about “how” to choose and make meaningful comparisons between different mattresses but the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress are in post #13 here which is really about your personal testing (using the testing guidelines) to make sure a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP, finding out the specifics of the materials inside (see this article) so you can make sure there are no weak links and compare them with the guidelines here (or post them on the forum and I’d be happy to comment), and then comparing all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Restopedic is a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer and will also give you good information and guidance about their mattresses.

I would focus more on your own testing and experience than on the technicalities about which type of mattress (or innerspring) is better “in theory”. There is also more about different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here but the type of innerspring is only one of many factors (including the overall design of the mattress and the materials that are used over the innerspring) that can make one mattress a better match for some people and not others so I would focus more on your own testing and experience than on “theory” because nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks.

We made a trip down there and it’s a friendly no pressure atmosphere.

In general, is a no flip one sided mattress preferred over a two sided flippable for any reason?

A simple explanation was given that they would be the same spring assembly with the difference being of twice the thickness of comfort layer foam on the top in the no flip model compared to the flippable two sided mattress. So it’s either all on top of half on each of the top and bottom.

It was suggested that the no flip mattress gets rotated. but I’m not sure how rotating two body spots 180 degrees does much as body spots still end up in sleeping areas…

Hi EddieC,

[quote]In general, is a no flip one sided mattress preferred over a two sided flippable for any reason?

A simple explanation was given that they would be the same spring assembly with the difference being of twice the thickness of comfort layer foam on the top in the no flip model compared to the flippable two sided mattress. So it’s either all on top of half on each of the top and bottom.[/quote]

You can read more about the pros and cons of a two sided mattress in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

You’re right that rotating a one sided mattress isn’t as effective as flipping a two sided mattress in terms of evening out wear and softening but it still can make “some difference” and it’s a good idea to follow a regular maintenance schedule with any mattress (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Phoenix,

In general, would a thick foam layer be more prone to permanent indenting or degeneration than thinner layers?

Hi EddieC,

Like many other mattress subjects that have to do with the theory and application of different mattress designs … the only meaningful answer is “it depends” because there are other factors involved in the durability and useful life of a mattress than the thickness of one of the layers in the mattress. In this case it would depend on the type and density of the material, the firmness of the material, and on what else was under and over the layer in the mattress and its position in the mattress … not to mention the variables involved in different people sleeping on the mattress. Taking only one of many variables into account that are one part of a bigger picture or oversimplifying more complex issues can lead to some misleading assessments that can do more harm than good in making a mattress choice.

In very general terms though … and assuming that the materials you were comparing were the same, they were close to the top of a mattress, and all the other variables in each mattress design were the same as well … a thinner material would generally be less durable in terms of loss of firmness or loss of height because it would be more constantly compressed to a greater percentage of its thickness and there is less material to distribute the compression forces throughout the material. Having said that … “effects” of foam softening and breakdown of a thicker layer of material on top of the mattress can be more apparent because there is more material in a thicker layer that would be affected by foam softening or breakdown before the other layers begin to “take over” and absorb some of the compression forces.

This is why it’s normally “OK” to have relatively thin layers of lower quality materials in the upper layers such as a quilting layer (around an inch or so) because even though they can soften more rapidly than the better quality and more durable materials underneath them … they aren’t thick enough to make a significant difference in how deeply you sink in before the layers underneath it begin to take up the compression forces. Thicker layers of the same lower quality material would soften less in percentage terms if you were to measure the layer by itself but the softening would have a more significant effect on the longer term feel and performance of the mattress than a thinner layer.

Phoenix