Retailers for MD/DC area?

The wife and I are unexpectedly looking for a new mattress after a ceiling collapse took out our bedroom, and the mattress was deemed unsalvageable by the insurance company. We had an Ortho Royale mattress, for which we haven’t been able to find info so I’m not sure what would be comparable as a starting point for our search. We are both primarily side sleepers and prefer a firmer mattress, although for the past couple of years I’ve started to experience occasional back pain or stiffness upon waking up. I’m about 200 lbs. and my wife 140. I tend to sleep hot while my wife sleeps cold.

I’ve read through the various tutorials and, like another poster mentioned, we’re somewhat overwhelmed with the options. Our old mattress was a gift so we didn’t have much say in what we got. Any thoughts on what we should be looking for would be much appreciated.

Also, are there any recommended retailers/manufacturers in the MD/DC area? The membership list doesn’t appear to have anything in our vicinity.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Urban Mattress in Vienna, VA has a wide range of quality products. Most importantly they have in-depth information about what they sell and a thorough understanding of mattresses. We had a great experience there and was very pleased with the no pressure approach to getting us the best fit for our needs.

Hi src1425,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the region around Washington, DC are listed in post #2 here.

While none of them are members here (and they are the only ones that I officially recommend) … the manufacturers and retailers that are members are not the only sources of good quality and value across the country and there are certainly some better options and possibilities in the area (including Urban Mattress).

If you follow the steps in the tutorial post one by one you will have the highest possible odds of making a great mattress purchase :).

Phoenix

That’s fabulous info - thank you both for the prompt replies.

(Hope to visit Urban Mattress, Mattress Traditions, and Creative Classics this weekend. Will provide feedback on the shopping experience.)