Returning Dream Foam Ult Dreams Supreme

I purchased the Ult Dreams Supreme mattress about 3 weeks ago. It’s not working at all for my husband. He’s 260lbs and this bed is not supportive enough for him. It’s ok for me 105lbs but just not great. I’ve decided we need a latex mattress or a combo with a minimum 12" of thickness. He’s a side sleeper and I sleep on back and side. Want something that you don’t sink down into. A medium firmness.
I know it’s all abou the individual’s perception but would like some ideas. The price, well I’m gun shy about spending $4000 since in the last 10 years the three mattresses we have had were in that price range and not comfy after the 1st year.
Ideas anyone?

Hi Splendid,

I’m sorry to hear that your mattress isn’t working out as well for you as you hoped for although it’s not surprising that a mattress that is on the softer side or that would work reasonably well for you wouldn’t work as well for your husband because of the weight differential between you. The good news is that you had the foresight to choose a mattress that has a good return policy so there was little risk in trying it outside of the cost of the return.

I know I’ve linked these in my previous replies but just as a refresher there are some guidelines in post #3 here that will be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges and there is more information in the first part of post #2 here about some of the different ways that can help accommodate a couple that have very different body types or very different needs and preferences in a mattress.

I would also reread the comments in my reply here about firmness levels because the same mattress can feel like a very different firmness for you than it would for your husband because of the differences between you. The only way to know how firm a mattress feels for you or your husband or whether the same mattress will be a good match for both of you with any certainty will be based on your own careful testing or personal experience.

[quote]I know it’s all abou the individual’s perception but would like some ideas. The price, well I’m gun shy about spending $4000 since in the last 10 years the three mattresses we have had were in that price range and not comfy after the 1st year.
Ideas anyone? [/quote]

Unfortunately it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for someone else either for a mattress, a manufacturers/retailers, or a combination of materials or type of mattress because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Having said that … there is more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) in post #2 here that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for. With careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) a local purchase can have very high odds of success but for those that are making an online choice that they can’t test before a purchase, have a history of choosing mattresses that are unsuitable for them, have body types or health considerations that are more challenging and make choosing the most suitable mattress more difficult, or that for whatever reason are more uncertain about whether their choice is “right” for them then the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the comfort or support of the mattress or to exchange or return the mattress or individual layers can become a much more important part of each person’s personal value equation. Exchange or return options are built in to the cost of a mattress so the majority of people who don’t return or exchange a mattress or a layer are the ones who pay for the minority of people who do.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between the mattresses they each carry in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include a very wide range of different types of mattresses in different budget ranges.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well that you could test in person.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
I’m in Wichita KS. Pretty sure I’ve visited all the stores. Have yet to find a real latex mattress. Well I don’t know really because the sales people I’ve talked to won’t or can’t give detailed specs. Even specs on big brand names in any foam type are ambiguous. Let me know if you find a store.
There was a recent post on the forum vis a vis building a mattress. DIY layering. Sounded very interesting. I may put some layers together on paper and post it.
TY

Hi Splendid,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Wichita area (subject to making sure that any specific mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own DIY mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) as a reference point and try and “match” every layer and component in your reference mattress (including the springs, the foam layers, and the cover) as closely as possible or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

I’m thinking 3" med Nat t latex with 2" memory foam med. another layer of med Nat t latex and a base layer of 5lb hd poly. Going crazy in KS lol

Or 4" 5lb poly base 3" med nr t latex then 2"med memory foam topped with 3" med nr t latex

Hi Splendid,

If the base layer you are considering is 5 lb density then it’s very unlikely that it would be polyfoam because polyfoam typically comes in densities that range from under 1 lb/sq ft to about 3 lbs/sq ft. Although there are some high performance polyfoams that have higher densities they are usually only used in comfort layers so I would be very cautious and make sure you confirm that the material you are considering for use as the base layer isn’t memory foam which wouldn’t be suitable for use a support core.

As you probably know from your reading here the only way to know whether any combination will be a good “match” for you will be based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix

I’ve been to all the mattress stores in my area. Denver mattress has one called Aspen that both my husband and I like the feel of. Now I don’t want springs, and I’m not sold on DM’s quality. I’m listing the stats so hopefully I can get an idea of what a realistic combination of materials might be.
Quilt Layers:
Luxurious Knit Ticking
1" Anti-Microbial Super-Soft EF Foam
1 1/2" Anti-Microbial 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
Inherent Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
3" of 100% Natural HeveaPUR™
1" of 2lb Density HR EF Foam
Support System:
B.O.S.S.™ (Balanced Orthopedic Sleep System)
Coil Density: 1147 Alternating Checkerboard Individually Wrapped Coils
15.5 Gauge Tempered Steel
I’m really wanting to find or build a latex mattress.

Hi Splendid,

[quote]Quilt Layers:
Luxurious Knit Ticking
1" Anti-Microbial Super-Soft EF Foam
1 1/2" Anti-Microbial 1.8lb Density Convoluted EF Foam
Inherent Rayon Fire Barrier
Comfort Layers:
3" of 100% Natural HeveaPUR™
1" of 2lb Density HR EF Foam
Support System:
B.O.S.S.™ (Balanced Orthopedic Sleep System)
Coil Density: 1147 Alternating Checkerboard Individually Wrapped Coils
15.5 Gauge Tempered Steel[/quote]

As you can see in the foam quality/durability guidelines here the materials in the Aspen are all good quality materials that would be suitable for most people that are in more average weight ranges and they would certainly be higher quality and more durable than most mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers in a similar budget range but with your husbands higher weight in combination with the convoluted polyfoam (which would be less durable than a solid layer of 1.8 lb polyfoam), the 1" of additional polyfoam on top of it (which I believe is also 1.8 lb density although I’m not certain), and because this would be a softer mattress … I would consider this to have a weak link relative to his weight and it would be a more risky choice for him in terms of durability and because of the softness of the mattress it may also be a more risky choice in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) as well.

Phoenix

Any ideas of a good combination that might feel close to this.

Would 3" of 22ILD NT Latex with 2" Visco memory foam be too soft for comfort layers
Thinking of putting that on top of 3" 29ILD NT Latex with a 6" base of 36ILD NT Latex

The memory foam would be 5lb density

Hi Splendid,

[quote]Any ideas of a good combination that might feel close to this.

Would 3" of 22ILD NT Latex with 2" Visco memory foam be too soft for comfort layers
Thinking of putting that on top of 3" 29ILD NT Latex with a 6" base of 36ILD NT Latex [/quote]

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here but since it’s unlikely that you will find another mattress that has exactly the same type and combination of materials and components with the same thicknesses and firmness levels (if you are even able to find out what they are) … the only way reliable way to know whether any other mattress would “feel” similar to you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) would be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience. I would also keep in mind that different people can have very different opinions about how closely two mattresses with differences in their designs and components compare to each other because body type, sleeping positions, and individual sensitivities can also play a significant role in how two mattresses will compare for any specific person.

As I mentioned in my previous replies … I would keep in mind that it’s not possible for anyone else to make specific suggestions because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer any specific questions you may have along the way, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress or combination of materials is the best match for you based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix