Returning Dreamfoam Mattress

I first ordered my daughter a mattress from DreamFoam (Ultimate Dreams) and was very happy with the purchase.
I was so happy with the purchase that I ordered the UD: Freedom Mattress for my wife and I. I have been very disappointed. The king mattress cover appears to be two twin mattress covers stitched together…the softest layer is pretty much worthless, and the other two layers can’t provide enough support in view of them only being half the bed.

I have called and emailed Chuck. I have only got a short response and then radio silence for the last 24 hours. Chuck never answers the phone.

I am hoping that I can exchange it for the Eurotop or just return it.

Hi djdeg002,

I’m sorry to hear you aren’t happy with your new Dreamfoam mattress

This sounds odd to me. Could you attach a picture to the forum to show what you mean? The cover is a single king size cover not two twins sewn together so I’m not sure what you are referring to…

Some people would love the soft layer and others may not because comfort is very subjective and relative to the body type, sleeping style, and perceptions of each person so one person’s “worthless” or “too soft” can be another person’s “perfect”.

One of the main benefits of the Freedom mattress is that it can be configured many different ways and if a soft top layer is too soft for you then there are other layering configurations you can try to change the comfort or support of the mattress.

I’m not sure what you mean by this either. It’s possible that you could be confusing “comfort” with “support” there is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

I just called Dreamfoam to ask about your comments about the cover to see if they had any insights about why you may have been thinking that the cover was two twins sewn together. Chuck answered my call right away (they do answer their calls unless they are on another line) and recognized your comments and told me that he had talked with you and had made some suggestions about reconfiguring the layers so it’s good to see that you reached them and had the chance to discuss your situation and some potential solutions.

They also mentioned that you have split layers so with the softest layer you may have been feeling the split with the soft layer on top and that this may have been connected to what you were referring to with the “split” cover or your comments about “half the bed” as well. They told me that they had made some suggestions about reconfiguring your layers which should be helpful.

There are 12 different configurations that are possible with the Freedom mattress so most people would be able to find a combination that works well for them but of course if all else fails then if you ordered it from the Dreamfoam site then they also have a 45 day trial period where you can return it for a $99 fee.

I’m looking forward to finding out how your layering changes work out for you.

Phoenix

Thank you for the response.

I am not sure how this mattress works for anyone. The support layers are split down the middle. I really thought they would fit tighter together. When you lay on either side, the layers buckle since each only extends over half the bed…and if you move over half of the bed you feel where the two layers come together.

Re-arranging the layers is not easy and the latex will break off as you move the layers, especially on the blue layer that is very flimsy.

I have spoke to Chuck and tried arranging the layers such that I had red, white and red on the same side…which was firmer…but still the fact that it only extends across half the bed ruins any chance of support.

Anyways, I just requested a return and am hoping to get a very firm Eurotop which might be better since we obviously prefer a firm mattress.

Hi djdego02,

The mattress works very well for many people because of the different ways the layers can be rearranged and there are many people that love the flexibility of being able to rearrange the layers on each side (see post #5 here for an example) but of course each person is unique and what works well for some people may not work as well for others. From your description it sounds like you may have been better off without the soft layer in the mix.

Latex can tear very easily if you grab or pull on it and there’s a trick to rearranging and moving the layers which is to lift and “flip” or “wave” the layers into position (you can see what I mean in the videos that are linked in post #12 here).

I’m sorry to hear that the mattress didn’t work out for you but the good news is that you had the foresight to purchase a mattress that you are able to return.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you decide on with your next choice.

Phoenix