Reverie Sleep System (mattress) Dream Supreme with 8Q adjustable platform

I am strongly considering making a purchase of this Reverie Sleep Supreme in the future possibly and wanted to find out if anyone on here recommends this system, has tried it and either liked or not liked it and why? I was thinking I wanted to buy a 100% Natural Latex mattress but now I’ve discovered this system from Reverie and I like the idea of customization and this is something new to me. If I remember correctly ( and my head is spinning with all of this new found stuff researching beds) that Phoenix recommends this system as being at least quality materials throughout with little or no weak points. With that said, because of the customization I am to assume that I can find the desired outcome of my choice much more easily and over the years vs buying a traditional mattress when used specifically in a power adjustable platform. I read a claim from Atlantic Beds stating that when you use a “component mattress” with an adjustable base that there will be shifting problems and etc. I’m not certain that there claims are founded but if I bought this system from Reverie I am hoping there is less of a chance of this type of an issue.

Hi Wrewster,

The only two forum members I’m aware of that have purchased one of the Reverie Dream mattresses are JoD here (although they haven’t provided any feedback yet) and a.stauff here.

I would be very cautious about using anyone else’s experience or recommendations as a reliable indication of what you may feel on the same mattress because a mattress that feels too firm to one person can feel too soft to someone else (and vice versa) and a mattress that is a good match for one person or even a group of people in terms of PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on … even if they have a similar body type or sleeping style. In the end the only reliable way to know with any certainty whether a mattress is a good match for you would be based on your own personal testing or actual sleeping experience.

The Reverie Dream Supreme uses very high quality and durable materials (you can see the specs here) and there are certainly no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress. I do recommend the members here “as a group” but I don’t recommend any specific mattress or manufacturer for any specific person.

An adjustable base will have very little to do with the suitability of a mattress unless you have special circumstances or health conditions where sleeping in an elevated position can be beneficial.

While it’s always preferable to buy a mattress or a mattress/topper combination that is a good match for you in the first place … a component mattress with a zip cover and loose layers has several advantages if your sleeping experience indicates that in spite of your “best efforts” you ended up choosing a mattress that isn’t an ideal match for you in terms of PPP. It would allow you to rearrange or exchange individual layers (or in the case of the Reverie Dream System to change the pattern of the latex cylinders) to fine tune either the support or pressure relief of the mattress without having to exchange or return the entire mattress. It would also allow you to replace individual layers and components if one of them softens or breaks down faster than the others (the top layers are usually the weakest link of any mattress) or if your needs or preferences change over time instead of having to replace the entire mattress.

While it’s not a guarantee of success of course because it’s possible that you may not like the “feel” of latex or that none of the configurations will work well for you … it can significantly increase the odds that a mattress will “match” your specific needs and preferences. Many of the members here that sell latex mattresses have component systems with zip covers that have layers or components that can be rearranged or exchanged after a purchase although Reverie is one of only two that has a customizable zoning system rather than customizable layering systems.

You can see my comments about glued vs unglued layers in post #2 here and the posts it links to. There are thousands of people who have used component latex mattresses with adjustable beds over the course of many years and it’s not an issue with normal use.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I was talking to Reverie and they said that there Dream Cells are at least  80-85% natural latex but they said they wouldn't be able to provide me any specs. listing all percentages and materials on paper and only over the phone. I read in your previous post: "When I last talked with them a few weeks ago they told me that their latex has at least 60% natural content and is a variation of the Dunlop process that can produce a more consistent material."

I am very interested in making a purchase of this system but now am reluctant because they don’t seem to be as transparent as other companies I have contacted on the member list. What’s your thoughts on this?

Hi Wrewster,

The specs they provide are certainly “transparent enough” for me and make it clear that there are no weak links in either their materials or design which is the reason that knowing the specs are important.

Natural latex can vary in its properties from season to season and it’s not unusual for latex manufacturers to adjust their compounding formula to compensate for any changes and to keep their product more consistent. I am fine with “a minimum of 60% natural rubber” and beyond this any difference wouldn’t be particularly meaningful.

I’m not clear exactly what additional information you would need or why you would need it.

Phoenix

I guess I was looking for more precise specs more as a trust issue more than anything due to the fact that I’m finding other MFRS. eagerly willing to provide it is all.

I was referring to statements such as this one ( see below) by Sterling Mattresses (also a member here on MU) and I just wished Reverie was more forward about there mattresses being a natural AND “synthetic” blend. I’m not at all against a blend entirely but I want a company to be as transparent WITH ME as possible about it. NOTE: They did a better job explaining this time about it over the phone.

***From Sterling Mattresses website and I love the part where they warn you about being suspicious:

What is Latex Foam and why isn’t it widely used?

Latex foam is a type of foam designed to outlast traditional spring mattresses. It can be made using natural or synthetic (manmade) ingredients.

There are 3 different types of Latex foam:

1. 100% natural latex

Natural latex foam is processed Hevea milk (rubber tree sap). It’s rare to find 100% natural latex in brand name mattresses since it’s expensive and durable, lasting 15+ years. Big box companies will usually only include 1 - 2 inches of 100% natural latex on top so they can promote the mattress as “natural”. In reality, the bed is made up of more synthetic materials than anything else. Be suspicious when companies don’t mention the percentage of natural content in their latex.

Keep in mind that it’s just not feasible for any mattress under $2000 to be made entirely of 100% natural latex due to the costs.

1. Blended latex

Usually 20% natural 80% synthetic. A great product at a better price. Usually very durable

1. 100% synthetic latex

Still a real laxex mattress, just produced syntheticly, a great product and at a little better price. Can be very durable

Am I to guess that a company can make a statement like 100% natural latex if there mattress is at a certain natural % such as 60%?

Hi Wrewster,

I’m not quite clear what you are asking or guessing about here. A company can make any statement they choose to of course but if a company claims that their latex is is 100% natural (meaning that there is no synthetic latex in the compounding formula) and it’s actually a blend of natural and synthetic latex then of course the information they were providing would be wrong.

Phoenix

In other words if a company claims there mattress is 100% natural latex what is the minimum amount it needs to be at to make that claim?

Hi Wrewster,

I answered this question in my previous reply to you in post #30 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, do you think it would be a fair statement for Reverie to call there Dream Supreme, Sleep, and Nite system a hybrid bed because they have a latex blend along with the use of polyurethane (PU) foam to support the perimeter of the dream cells?

Hi Brewster,

No … it wouldn’t be accurate to call the Reverie a “hybrid”. A latex hybrid typically means a mattress that uses a different type of support core (such as an innerspring or polyfoam) with a latex comfort layer and it would be much more accurate to call the Reverie a latex mattress than a latex hybrid since it uses latex as the main material in both the comfort and support layers.

Phoenix

Isn’t the “Tub” ( made from PU ) of the Reverie Dream mattress a support core too since the dream cells are inside of it? So at the very bottom of the mattress it first begins with polyurethane that the dream cells press against and then the comfort layer above the dream cells right?

Hi Wrewster,

No .,… the tub is to keep the support cylinders together and prevent them from shifting and provide edge support … it isn’t the support core itself which comes from the latex cylinders. While it’s certainly a unique design that is different from other more traditional latex mattresses … it certainly wouldn’t “fit” into any definition of a latex hybrid mattress.

Having said that … knowing the materials and components inside a mattress is much more important that trying to decide which mattress category it fits in because there are many fewer mattress categories than there are mattresses and each category has a wide range of mattresses that would “fit” inside it.

Phoenix

Phoenix, are you saying the dream cells are directly contacting the actual mattress cover at the very bottom then? If so, then my mistake. I read the word “tub” and was thinking more of the visual shape of a bath"tub", lol where it goes underneath and around you. They should call this a frame or border instead.

NOTE ADDED: They have now provided the specs of their comfort layers which are as follows …

Dream Lite:
Tub: 35 ILD 2.5 density Polyfoam
Topper:
1"16-20 ILD latex
2" 20 ILD 2.3 density PU

Dream:
Tub: PU 2.8 density 45ILD
Topper: 2" Latex. Density 60-65

Dream Supreme:
Tub: PU 2.8 density 45ILD
Topper: 2" Latex. Density 60-65
1" PU 2.3 density 20 ILD

All of these are high quality materials and there are no weak links in any of their mattresses.

Reverie is also now a member of the site.

Hi Wrewster,

I’m not clear why you are pressing the point about which mattress category it belongs in which I’ve already answered and is really irrelevant anyway but the foam tub would be underneath and on all 4 sides of the cylinders. In other words the tub would have 5 sides (bottom and 4 sides) with an open top (like a bathtub) and would be similar to a foam tub that was used with many innerspring mattresses as well (except it uses much higher quality polyfoam than most innerspring mattresses would use) and which doesn’t turn an innerspring mattress into a “hybrid” mattress either.

Mattress categories are terms of convenience that are used to describe broad categories of mattresses and don’t have strict definitions that would includes all the differences between the many mattresses that would fit inside each category.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, I’m pressing the point because I’ve never seen one before and was curious what’s exactly inside, side to side and top to bottom.

Hi Wrewster,

It’s in the “mostly latex mattress that uses mostly natural latex with a high quality/density polyfoam tub for edge support and that surrounds customizable latex cylinders with different firmness patterns” mattress category … and it’s the only mattress in that category :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Agreed. Now do you know what the differences are between these sleep systems you can buy direct from Reverie vs the ones they make specifically for Costco?

Hi Wrewster,

If there is any difference you would need to talk to Reverie to find out what they were.

Phoenix