Reverie Sleep System (mattress)

Hi jeremyhub,

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can match another one in post #9 here but the Reverie Dream System mattress has a unique design so there won’t be other mattresses that are comparable in terms of their design.

There is more about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the adjustable bed thread that it links to that can help you decide on an adjustable bed that has the combination of price and features that are important to you.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them sell latex mattresses that use different types of latex with a range of different designs, options, features, price ranges, and return or exchange policies but the only other one that has custom zoning options is the Flobeds vZone mattresses.

Phoenix

I just spoke with Brian from Reverie and I am strongly considering purchasing there Dream Supreme System, my main reluctance is the warranty when compared to the competition. First the mattress, to compare apples to apples it only has a 5 year non-pro rated warranty where I’ve been comparing to 100% Natural Latex beds with 10 year non pro rated warranties ( BIAB) and Restonic with a 25 year non-pro rated warranty so 5 years doesn’t quite seem sufficient on something like this unproven technology over time because it’s so new. Second the adjustable base, it comes with the 1 yr full parts/labor warranty and then years 2 and 3 are full parts warranty and then things taper right off after that. I found a Leggett and Platt Prodigy, Premier, or Designer Series with a “full lifetime parts warranty” which sounds much more comforting than after years 2 or 3 from Reverie ( which otherwise looks to be a great product!). I asked Brian at Reverie if he could at least match the warranties of there competition and hopefully he will get back with me tomorrow promptly either way. When spending this kind of money nothing seems better than a company eagerly willing to stand right behind there products and when they realize there competition is perhaps doing a better job, to be able to swiftly respond in there favor to earn there business. These bed systems sure aren’t cheap so I want a premium warranty if I’m paying a premium price. Seems reasonable to expect right?

Hi Wrewster,

While the Reverie mattresses do have a shorter non pro-rated warranty than most mattresses in this price range or most latex mattresses … I would also keep in mind that a warranty only covers manufacturing defects in the mattress and materials and not the gradual loss of comfort and support over time that is the main reason that people will need to buy a new mattress. Warranties longer than 10 years are more about marketing than anything else and a warranty is not a reliable way to assess the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long you will sleep well on it before you cross the thresholds between sleeping well on a mattress to sleeping “OK” to “tolerating a mattress” to finally deciding to replace it. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here and there is also more about the most important factors that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people regardless of the length of the warranty in post #4 here.

It’s always more realistic to think of about 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress regardless of the quality of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

Having said that … with higher quality materials throughout a mattress and/or for people whose needs and preferences or physical condition or body type hasn’t changed much over 10 years then “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” with higher quality/density materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam or natural fibers is much more likely than with less durable materials. Latex has a very long history of being among the most durable materials in the industry.

With adjustable beds that have electrical or electronic components and moving parts there is a higher chance of sudden failure than there would be with a mattress so a warranty may be more important even though adjustable beds as a whole are generally quite reliable. Most adjustable bed manufacturers though only have a full warranty for the first few years and after that what is covered by the warranty is significantly reduced in most cases. Some of the general warranty terms for some of the larger adjustable bed manufacturers are …

Leggett & Platt’s manufacturer warranty is here:

YEAR 1: Covers everything including parts and labor and shipping so there would be no cost for anything
YEAR 2-3: Covers the parts but doesn’t include the cost of transportation or service.
YEAR 4-25: Covers only the steel and mechanical base parts and does not cover any electronics, electrical components, drive motors or massage motors. Costs are prorated depending on how long you have owned the adjustable bed except for the Prodigy.

According to the Leggett & Platt site they don’t have a lifetime warranty but some dealers such as Richmond Bedding here offer extended coverage.

Reverie’s manufacturer warranty is here:

YEAR 1: Covers everything including parts and labor and shipping so there is no cost for anything
YEAR 2-3: Covers the parts but doesn’t include the cost of transportation or service
YEAR 4-20: Covers only the steel and mechanical base parts and does not cover any electronics, electrical components, drive motors or massage motors. Costs are prorated depending on how long you have owned the adjustable bed.

Ergomotion manufacturer warranty is here:

YEAR 1: Covers everything including parts and labor and shipping so there is no cost for anything
YEAR 2: Covers the motors including parts, labor, and shipping.
YEAR 2-5: Covers all parts but doesn’t cover the cost of transportation or service.
YEAR 5-20: Covers electrical and mechanical parts. Costs are prorated depending on how long you have owned the adjustable bed.

Most of the adjustable bed manufacturers warranties are “fairly” similar although some are a little better than others.

How much a warranty will play a role in each persons choice depends on the importance of the warranty differences relative to all the other features that each adjustable bed offers and on price per features comparisons between all the different adjustable bed models that are available (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Thanks for responding Phoenix, I am still strongly considering the Reverie Dream Supreme system. I like the idea of customization. Do you recommend this system vs a quality 100% latex mattress? The benefit of a quality latex mattress is that many have been proven over time where as this new innovative sleep cell technology has not. I’m not sure how transparent the company is as far as the specifics of the latex specifications. They said this style of bed has been out for many years but was put on the back burner because of there relationship making platforms for Serta and Temper.

By the way there are several Leggett and Platt preferred dealers that are offering a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser for ALL electronic parts including the motors!!! This is the stuff at risk of breaking in the teak world. On top of that they make the procedure rather easy by having me contact the factory direct for troubleshooting and then they contact the company I bought this from to have them send me the new part. They say it is not hard for the consumer to change out the defective part. Plus they don’t require you to send them back the old part, how simple is that?! This really helps give me the extra piece of mind when spending this kind of money I’ll tell ya. I asked Reverie almost to the point of pleading and they would not budge on there warranty coverage. They instead claim they make the better product but would not put there money where there mouth is. Leggett has a leg up because they have a much longer history of making these and now offering much more robust warranty protection. I have read on several sites that customers often times feel misled by the mfrs. 20 year warranty only to find that nothing is really covered here. It seems as though Leggett and Platt is doing there part to add real protection through some of there best dealers.Your thoughts?

Hi Wrewster,

They are very transparent about the blend of the latex they use and the density of their polyfoam layers. You can see the information about their mattresses in post #6 here and they are all high quality and durable materials and there are no weak links in their mattresses.

They are also a member of the site which means I think highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry and transparency is one of the requirements before a manufacturer can become a member of the site.

Latex is among the most durable materials in the industry so I would certainly have no durability concerns about latex layers or latex cells.

Other than that though … while I do recommend the members here “as a group” … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or materials because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to know which type of mattress design or materials would be best for you based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or theory at a distance (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

They are certainly well worth considering as purchase and they have a 101 day trial period with a free return if that becomes necessary (except on the Dream Lite mattress) so you have more than enough time to decide if the mattress as you ordered it or one of the other configurations that are possible is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and confirm that you are sleeping well on the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Wrewster,

Yes … there are quite a few L&P dealers that I’ve seen that offer improved or extended warranties (including the one I linked as an example) and I would agree that for some people this could certainly be an important benefit that may be one of the deciding factors that leads them to purchase one adjustable bed vs another.

While I personally place a higher value on some of the other features or benefits and the price than I do on the warranty because all the major manufacturers of adjustable beds are typically reliable … I can certainly understand that this would be a more important part of a buying decision for others that have different priorities than I do and if I was was buying an adjustable bed and all the other criteria and features that were important to me seemed “equal” then an extended or improved warranty could easily be the tie breaker.

Phoenix

Phoenix, is it true that a brand/mfr. must first pay $$$ in order to be a member of this site? When I mentioned Mattress Underground to Reverie they discounted the credibility of this page because of this fact. The difference between Consumer Reports and Consumers Digest is that one takes $$$ for advertising and etc. and the other does not. This can play a role in the opinions made is what CR claims. I also mentioned to them Sleep Like The Dead because I am trying to find as much unbiased info. as I can before making that all important buying decision(s).

I also want to add that so far the opinions I’ve seen from you seem to be sincere and unbiased.

Hi Wrewster,

You can see how the site and the time and efforts that go into it are supported in the Our Services/how we survive link in the main menu and there is more detailed information in post #4 here.

I’m not sure what you mean here or which page you are referring to (or whether you mean the whole site). Reverie initially requested membership here and after a fairly extensive vetting process (which would exclude about 90% of the stores in the industry) to confirm they were completely transparent about the materials in their mattresses and that they shared the goals and ideals of the site they were invited to become a member. If one of their customer service representatives is somehow “discounting” the information here when it was the basis for their membership request then they may not be aware that they are a member here and would need some additional training. ADDED: I received an email from Reverie to tell me they had read your comments here and to let me know that you must have misunderstood what they told you and that they think highly of the information on this site and use it on a frequent basis as a reference source.

You can see some comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more “objective” purchases … as you can see I (and most knowledgeable people in the industry) would consider them to be a unreliable source of guidance about purchasing a mattress.

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on or vice versa (see post #13 here).

There is also much more detailed information about review sites in general and some of the other “resources” that are available online including the amalgamated reviews at Sleep Like The Dead in post #4 here.

The goal of the site has always been to provide information about “how” to choose a mattress that provides the tools and information that will make the quality and value of a purchase self evident so that each person has the knowledge and information to be able to assess the suitability, quality/durability, and value of a mattress purchase for themselves based on their own unique needs and preferences and criteria regardless of what anyone else may prefer or recommend and without having to “believe” anyone. It’s the difference between helping the members here learn “how” to choose vs telling them “what” to choose based on preferences or criteria that may not be relevant or meaningful to them or in many cases may not be in their best interests (or the difference between giving someone a fish or teaching them how to fish).

Phoenix

Maybe not in terms of “design” but what the material is comprised of as to the durability of the product, where does the Reverie Dream system mattress components rank vs 100% Natural Latex bed such as one from Plushbeds.com? Have you heard of Plush beds before? They are GreenGuard Gold Certified and dies this certification mean anything to you?. Mattress Summary:

:black_medium_small_square:Organic Cotton Cover
:black_medium_small_square:100% Natural Joma Wool
:black_medium_small_square:2" 100% Natural Talalay Latex
:black_medium_small_square:6" 100% Natural Dunlop Latex
:black_medium_small_square:No Glue or Glued Layers
:black_medium_small_square:No Harsh Chemicals

All PlushBeds mattresses are GreenGuard Gold Certified – a certification that less than 1% of all mattresses receive

What are VOCs?

Volatile organic
compounds (VOCs) are chemicals that are released into the air from everyday furnishings. They can emit hundreds of chemicals into the air that we breathe into our blood stream for years on end. Once inhaled, VOCs can trigger a number of health problems.

Breathe with Confidence

All PlushBeds mattresses are GreenGuard Gold Certified. Through rigorous testing, our mattresses are certified to meet the world’s most rigorous, third-party chemical emissions standards.

At a Gold level certification, PlushBeds mattresses prove beneficial to everyone, but especially children and the elderly, as they reduce indoor air pollution, minimize chemical exposure and create healthier indoor
environments.

PlushBeds Mattresses
are certified against…
• PBDE Flame Retardants
• Prohibited Phthalates
• Mercury, Lead & Heavy Metals
• Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
• 2-Methoxyethanol
• Formaldehyde
• Chloroform
• Methylene Chloride …and 10,000 other harmful chemicals!

• Tested & Recertified every 90 days

Hi Wrewster,

You can see some comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here.

Greenguard Gold is a safety testing standard that tests for harmful VOC’s. Two other testing protocols include Oeko-Tex and Eco-Institut which also test for harmful VOC’s and also for harmful substances that can leach out of a material. There is a little more about Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, and Greenguard Gold and other certifications in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Where does the Reverie Dream system mattress components rank vs 100% Natural Botanical Bliss Latex bed such as one from Plushbeds.com in terms of durability?

Hi Wrewster,

They are both latex mattresses which is among the most durable materials in the industry so they would be similar and I would expect a minimum of 10 years plus some “bonus time” for both of them and for some people there could be “extended bonus time” depending on the other factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress (see my reply here)

Phoenix

I was thinking more of the specs such as if the Reverie Dream Supreme being 100% natural latex or is it a synthetic blend possibly? If I look around I thought you listed the specs. I wonder if it’s using both Dunlop and Talalay similarly to the Plush Beds. a.stauff (other member with this system) mentioned the odor and temperature regulation. 100% natural latex won’t emit any off gassing so I’m suspicious the Reverie is using cheaper materials to some extent than the 100% Plush Botanical Bliss.

Hi Wrester,

You can see the specs of the Reverie mattresses in the post I linked in my reply to you here.

Neither one (natural or synthetic latex or a blend) would have any harmful VOC’s but both of them would have some initial smell.

You can read more about the most likely reasons for temperature regulation issues in post #2 here but from the sounds of it the issue that a.stauff was having was connected to his blankets and sheets (he was too warm with one set of bedding and too cold with another).

Phoenix

So the dream cells are 60% natural latex and a synthetic blend? I’m guessing the 2" latex is made from? What’s the additional layer the Supreme one had that the Sleep doesn’t have?

Hi Wrester,

All their latex has a minimum of 60% natural rubber (which would mean 40% synthetic rubber) and the PU means polyurethane or polyfoam. If you need more specifics then a phone call to Reverie will be your most reliable source for any additional information that you may need.

Phoenix

I just want to reiterate, I did NOT say off-gassing. I said minimal odor. As in, it has a SMELL. Not a chemical smell. Just a smell. I would have been shocked if a king sized mattress of any type didn’t smell like something. Plus, as I mentioned we got all new sheets, blankets, pillows, plus the base. I’m really surprised it didn’t smell more than it did. Wrewster, please stop saying I said it was off-gassing. It was not, and I did not say that. I am trying to be super honest with my review and I wanted to at least address the smell (or lack of one).

As for the temperature issue… I am still fine tuning it. I think what I have on the bed right now is too heavy as far as blankets go. But it has been really cold here in Wisconsin. I am more concerned (as I said) about day sleeping in the summer. I do believe the mattress is warmer than my old inner springs. But I have never slept on a memory foam mattress. Only tested them in stores. The Reverie does NOT feel cold or firm when initially getting into it like I have heard memory foam owners say.

Hi Phoenix, I will call Reverie. I was asking you because I figured you may know because of the credentials it takes for them to be a member. I didn’t realize that the synthetic latex blend is as good as 100%natural latex in many ways with so many online companies touting the benefits of 100% natural. I hope Reverie will tell me with transparency as there was something you mentioned earlier that they keep close to there vest.