Reverie Sleep System (mattress)

Hi Wrewster,

They are both latex mattresses which is among the most durable materials in the industry so they would be similar and I would expect a minimum of 10 years plus some “bonus time” for both of them and for some people there could be “extended bonus time” depending on the other factors that can affect durability and the useful life of a mattress (see my reply here)

Phoenix

I was thinking more of the specs such as if the Reverie Dream Supreme being 100% natural latex or is it a synthetic blend possibly? If I look around I thought you listed the specs. I wonder if it’s using both Dunlop and Talalay similarly to the Plush Beds. a.stauff (other member with this system) mentioned the odor and temperature regulation. 100% natural latex won’t emit any off gassing so I’m suspicious the Reverie is using cheaper materials to some extent than the 100% Plush Botanical Bliss.

Hi Wrester,

You can see the specs of the Reverie mattresses in the post I linked in my reply to you here.

Neither one (natural or synthetic latex or a blend) would have any harmful VOC’s but both of them would have some initial smell.

You can read more about the most likely reasons for temperature regulation issues in post #2 here but from the sounds of it the issue that a.stauff was having was connected to his blankets and sheets (he was too warm with one set of bedding and too cold with another).

Phoenix

So the dream cells are 60% natural latex and a synthetic blend? I’m guessing the 2" latex is made from? What’s the additional layer the Supreme one had that the Sleep doesn’t have?

Hi Wrester,

All their latex has a minimum of 60% natural rubber (which would mean 40% synthetic rubber) and the PU means polyurethane or polyfoam. If you need more specifics then a phone call to Reverie will be your most reliable source for any additional information that you may need.

Phoenix

I just want to reiterate, I did NOT say off-gassing. I said minimal odor. As in, it has a SMELL. Not a chemical smell. Just a smell. I would have been shocked if a king sized mattress of any type didn’t smell like something. Plus, as I mentioned we got all new sheets, blankets, pillows, plus the base. I’m really surprised it didn’t smell more than it did. Wrewster, please stop saying I said it was off-gassing. It was not, and I did not say that. I am trying to be super honest with my review and I wanted to at least address the smell (or lack of one).

As for the temperature issue… I am still fine tuning it. I think what I have on the bed right now is too heavy as far as blankets go. But it has been really cold here in Wisconsin. I am more concerned (as I said) about day sleeping in the summer. I do believe the mattress is warmer than my old inner springs. But I have never slept on a memory foam mattress. Only tested them in stores. The Reverie does NOT feel cold or firm when initially getting into it like I have heard memory foam owners say.

Hi Phoenix, I will call Reverie. I was asking you because I figured you may know because of the credentials it takes for them to be a member. I didn’t realize that the synthetic latex blend is as good as 100%natural latex in many ways with so many online companies touting the benefits of 100% natural. I hope Reverie will tell me with transparency as there was something you mentioned earlier that they keep close to there vest.

Hi a.stauff,

Just for the sake of clarification for others that read this, the Reverie is latex and doesn’t have any memory foam in it.

Phoenix

I called Brain at Reverie and he claims that no latex can be made 100% just latex and that it needs a combiner/filler to be whipped up and then baked. Can anyone confirm what this means exactly and is this true of all mattresses claiming to be 100% natural latex?

Hi Wrewster,

Yes this is accurate … see post #8 here.

No latex is 100% rubber (either natural or synthetic) but 100% natural latex by convention means that all the rubber used in the formulation is natural and it doesn’t include any synthetic rubber in the mix.

Phoenix

I am trying to purchase this system and am hoping things work out. After all of this work I just want to enjoy a great nights sleep. Wish me luck! Reverie I hope you are listening…

One thing I liked about Oeko-Tex was the ease of obtaining their testing standard limit values right from Oeko-Tex.com without jumping through hoops. Greenguard is more difficult because you have to set up an account with Underwriters Lab in order to download a .PDF which contains the information. Not the end of the world by any means, but less transparent for sure.

At the end of the day, my conclusion was: Greenguard Gold vs Oeko-Tek (which is the cert my mattress has) is a don’t care. And I also felt that Plush Beds was (a) trying to gouge the consumer on the basis of being Greenguard Gold certified, and (b) were misleading about its implications. To me, they imply that Greenguard Gold is an exclusive certification that ensures certain safety standards, when in fact Greenguard Gold is very very very similar to another standard (Oeko-Tex) by which many or most natural latex mattresses certified. So perhaps one questions would be: do Oeko-Tek certified mattress meet Greenguard Gold standards and do Greenguard Gold certified mattresses meet Oeko-Tek standards by default? Probably not. But in looking at the chemicals and testing limits of each - to me again, it’s a don’t care. These certified natural mattresses are all VERY safe, no matter which certification it is.

This is just my opinion and observation as a consumer who read and researched a bit before making a recent purchase.

Hi LJGMDAD,

Your comments about GreenGuard Gold also reflect my own thoughts.

GreenGuard Gold also only tests for VOC’s and not for harmful substances that can leach out or migrate out of the material through close contact.

I sent an email to Oeko-Tex about how they compare about three weeks ago but haven’t received a reply yet.

Phoenix

"Hello,

I run a website and forum that helps people with their research on mattresses and many of the forum members are very interested in testing certifications for the safety of foam and other materials.

I have often mentioned and recommended an Oeko-tex standard 100 certification as a reliable source of safety information but there are many mattress manufacturers that are now claiming that they are Greenguard or Greenguard Gold certified and I was wondering how their threshold limits for various VOC’s compared to yours.

I am aware that Greenguard doesn’t test for harmful substances as you do but they were originally designed as an air pollution standard for building materials and furniture (the children and schools certification which is now Greenguard Gold) and it seems to me that VOC concentrations that are measured for their effect in a room environment would likely be different from VOC concentrations that are measured in close proximity to a sleeping environment that is closer to the material itself. This makes me wonder about the effect of the chamber size that is used for testing VOC concentrations and how much they would affect the results.

On the surface the Greenguard thresholds appear to be lower than yours but I suspect that could be misleading if the chamber sizes are different or the testing methods are different and I was hoping that you could make some comments that could help the forum members compare the effectiveness of Oeko-tex testing vs Greenguard testing.

Thank you for any help or insights you may be able to provide."

GREENGUARD Certification Program For Chemical Emissions For Building Materials, Finishes And Furnishings

I assume mattresses fall under this category, but I doubt there is a significant proximity bias in there. Of course if we learn about testing methods then we’ll be more informed for sure. But my thinking is that even though limits might slightly differ between the certs, that does not mean that all natural mattresses can’t pass the more stringent limits - we just can’t know for sure if they do. And on the other hand, these limits are so low in both cases that we might just be engaging in the practice of splitting hairs here, which I try never to do temping as it may be. :slight_smile:

Hi LJGMDAD,

You may very well be right about “splitting hairs” or possibly “tilting at windmills” but I was curious nonetheless because there appears to be some significant differences between how both certifications test for VOC’s that could lead to very different results so I was curious about their c0mments.

According to the GreenGuard PDF that lists the specifics of their testing … the GreenGuard Gold testing for mattresses uses a model that assumes a room is 1230 ft3 and that there is a .45 air exchange rate. Their results are also expressed in ppm. For example the standard for formaldehyde is .025 ppm.

Oeko-Tex on the other hand uses mg/m3 and their standard for formaldehyde is .1 mg/m3. To translate one (ppm) into the other (mg/m3) you need the molecular weight of formaldehyde (or whatever VOC you are converting) to convert them. The calculator here allows you to convert them for each individual VOC and if you choose formaldehyde and enter .025 ppm you get 0.03067 mg/m3 which appears to be lower than the Oeko-Tex limit of .1 mg/m3 but this could also be misleading depending on the specifics of the testing ,

On page 12 of the Oeko-Tex testing procedures pdf here it says “The test is performed in a chamber of defined size, using samples of defined area” but it doesn’t specify the chamber size or area.

My email question was because it made sense to me that if the VOC’s from a mattress (or a sample) were dispersed throughout an entire room then the concentration levels would be much lower than if the air immediately around a mattress was tested and it’s the air close to the mattress that we breathe each night. My logic was that Greenguard standards were originally designed to test concentrations in a schoolroom while Oeko-Tex standards were designed to test for concentrations that came from much closer contact where the VOC levels would be higher.

Phoenix

Ya, Oeko-Tex is using metric units while Greenguard is using American units. And, Oeko-Tex is more vague here than Greenguard. By the way, I do think the Greenguard parameters are very reasonable. 1230 ft3 is an average sized bedroom. If we assume 8’ ceilings, then that’s approximately a 12’x12’ bedroom. Much too small for a classroom. The air exchange rate needs units though. .45 what/what ? And another question is what is the off-gassing rate of latex? In other words, if the latex is off-gassing slower than the test chamber is being refreshed with clean air, then the test sample is getting diluted.

By the way, it is generally recommended that you sleep with the bedroom door open and something running that moves air whether it be a ceiling fan, a furnace in recirculate mode (or heating/cooling mode), etc. If you aren’t moving air and the bedroom door is closed - then your refresh rate is pretty close to zero.

Proximity - again I don’t think it matters. The surface area of a mattress is enormous in comparison to the portion of the mattress where your head rests. The entire mattress will contribute to the off-gassing. So I believe the Greenguard method is valid and doesn’t bias the results. Air refresh rates and chamber volumes matter, and are unlikely to be the same as Oeko-Tex. At the end of the day, I suspect the numbers can not be compared apples to apples. What we can do, however, is compare what kinds of substances are being tested for. And my memory is that Oeko-Tex tests for more than Greenguard.

@Wrewster,

Did you get the sleep system? How is it?!

Thanks,
Emmy

We are currently in the process of narrowing down our mattress choices. Most recently, we decided to give up on our 8 year old Serta Pillow top mattress (Thank goodness for non pro-rated warranties). Purchased the mattress through Costco and it came with a 10 year warranty. Since Serta no longer offers an equivalent replacement, they are going to pick it up and we will get all our money back (That was unexpected).
After quite a bit of internet searching for great quality mattresses, we found your website and have been reading your tutorials.
We are very interested in the Reverie Dream Supreme Mattress due to the adjustability factor as well as the quality of materials that go into its construction. The Reverie website has a Sweet Dream Supreme model mattress offered that is the same cost. Can you comment on the differences; as you see it on the two?

Thanks in advance,
Cal Gilbert

Hi Gilberca,

You can see the specs of the three mattresses that are listed on the mattresses page of their site in post #6 here.

The Sweet Dream Supreme mattress here (that is listed if you click the “additional mattresses” link) appears to be the same mattress as the Dream Supreme mattress here except that there are some differences in some of the prices for different sizes. I would call them to confirm that they are the same mattress or whether there are any differences between them since they will be your best source of information for these types of questions.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I have a question about the Reverie specs you posted here specifically the 2" 100% natural Talalay latex. Density 60-65 kg/m3. I understand the concept of ILD, lower number softer higher number firmer, but I don’t know what Density 60-65 kg/m3 means when talking about latex. Can this be translated into ILD? I’m fairly ignorant about foams.