Review of Spindle Abscond 10" mattress

After being drawn into latex mattresses by the Ikea Morgongova and spending time on this forum, I settled on Spindle, based on the great value for 100% natural latex and in part because Neil is in the Boston area, where Iā€™m originally from.

Based on discussions with Neil about the sleep styles of me and my wife, he recommended that we go with a firm-medium-medium combo, rather than a soft upper layer. Specifically, my wife and I both spend a fair amount of time stomach sleeping, but also back and side. In addition, we had been sleeping on a futon/foam mattress on the firm side that we liked.

Assembly was quick enough. I put together the foundation in 45 minutes or so. A power drill for the screws helps a ton. My wife and I took about a half hour to get the three layers into the cover, and it was not as difficult as I anticipated.

The mattress does not have the super plush feel of some of the mattresses I tried, say, at the Healthy Back, and that owes, I think, to not having a soft layer, but itā€™s how good I feel in the morning that makes me happy with our choice. Weā€™re not super picky so I think we would also have been pleased with a variety of other choices. This mattress feels like sleeping on a firm cloud of air, and I donā€™t want to get out of bed.

Itā€™s been about a month, and we have the warranty for a year to buy another 3" layer for $150 if we want. Maybe I will get the soft layer to see what thatā€™s like.

Thanks to Phoenix for the effort put into this site.

Hi gaston,

Thanks for the update and feedback ā€¦ I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It sounds like your mattress is working out very well for you and with the durability of latex you should be sleeping well for many more years!

Phoenix

So glad to have found this post. That is the exact mattress I am looking at right now as the price is reasonable for all latex and no FRs.

Thank you!!

Hi gaston,

Thanks for the review of the Spindle mattress. We stopped by there a few weeks ago and our impression was similar - the dunlop latex is not as springy as talalay, but very supportive. It can be very soft depending on the layering, but we settled on the same combination as you.

Like many of the previous reviewers, we found Neal to be knowledgeable but not pushy - he disappeared into his office for a while to let us try out mattresses - and patient with our two young sons, playing catch with them with loose pieces of latex, even. :slight_smile: He gave options that would allow us to adjust the firmness by rearranging layers or exchanging layers and even saved us a bit of money by mentioning that if we waited until this coming weekend, we could take advantage of the tax-free weekend in MA since weā€™re local. Much better than the buy-it-before-you-leave-the-showroom tactics at other furniture stores.

Thanks again and to Phoenix for the wealth of information on the site.

Hi kerrybp,

Thanks for adding your feedback as well ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for the feedback. Iā€™m highly tempted to order the Abscond.

We stopped by last weekend to the Spindle showroom and met Neal. Really enjoyed trying out the abscond as well as some education from Neal. As soon as we decide to pull the trigger on a purchase we will give serious consideration to a spindle mattress.

Hi Weiserone,

You are adding one more great option to the others you are considering :slight_smile:

@ HotPinkDragon,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

We have been on an on-again-off-again hunt for a mattress for some time (it becomes exhausting). I found this forum and THANK you for hosting it and for the many thoughtful and interesting posts herein.

We wanted an ā€˜organicā€™ or ā€˜non-chemicalā€™ (didnā€™t know exactly what to call it at the time) option that had a good amount of softness but stability, too. Traveling a lot, we have tried lots and lots (and lots and lots) of mattresses.

I found Neal and Spindle mattresses (spindlemattress.com) online through searching for natural, organic, and latex mattresses and then read several reviews and thoughts posted here, too. Thank you for this forum. From this forum: I loved the idea of a person (Neal) being a family/generational business and that he was in Massachusetts where you could visit the store. I loved hearing that he had been very informative and patient in listening to customers describe their needs and in fielding many (probably daily and repetitive) questions and concerns. And I also knew that because I live in CA, I would neither have the opportunity to go to the showroom nor try out the bed firsthand. Still, after loads of research, I was almost already completely convinced sight unseen. Then, we called to speak to Neal directly.

Neal was generous with his time, clearly educated about mattresses in general (not only his) AND advised us on what would probably be the best ā€˜fitā€™ in terms of degree of firmness (soft, medium, firm in that order) for us of an Abscond 10" King size latex mattress. He made me feel confident, too, that if for some reason the firmness wasnā€™t right that there were adjustments that could be made and that heā€™d be available to troubleshootā€“all while also feeling confident that the decision was going to be a good one from the outset (even though so many people advise trying out the bed, going local, etc.). We made the decision pretty quickly (within 10 minutes of conversing and proceeded with the order). Being in CA and naturally wanting to receive it as soon as possible (allowing for cross-country shipping of course), he said he would try his best to expedite the packing and pick-up if possible to up the normal process by 1-2 days (the normal timeline is very reasonable already). And it happened. The next day I had a UPS confirmation that the boxes had been picked up from his location and were en route.

Feeling confident about Nealā€™s advice for the mattress (and getting a real education about the natural latex that made me feel very comfortable with our decision to go organic/chemical free), we were pleased with our decision. And having done a good deal of research externally on other latex mattresses, his prices were very reasonable and extremely competitive given that a mattress is still a good-sized investment.

I asked Neal about his recommendations or favorites for organic bedding, mattress covers, pillows and sheets on a whim. I loved his response: he said he had none. He said he was ā€œ2 inches wide and a mile deepā€ in mattresses (in my estimation, he knows everything there is to know about mattressesā€“not only latex but other conventional styles) and little to nothing in what accessories go on them. The humor and honesty were so appreciated. (I have since found fabulous organic super-soft bedding, mattress cover, and Kapok silk stuffed pillows, and a perfect organic blanket.) Somehow the way he responded made me feel even more comfortable with our decision about the mattress.

The mattress arrived in 3 boxes (as described) and we prepared to assemble it. I must say that this was the only slightly intimidating part going into this kind of mattress, but it worked out to be relatively easy and actually fun. I did call Neal before we got underway just to do a quick check-in that I understood the instructions about what was top and bottom and sides, especially on the bottom layer which had to be fit into the cover and appeared to be ā€˜oversizedā€™ (needed to be squeezed in a bit like a rubberband). Neal had some quick tips and ideas about how to get it all balanced and fitting perfectly. In the beginning, I did wonder if it would fit, but with a little patience and a willingness to readjust carefully a number of times by creating ā€˜wavesā€™ from one side of the mattress to the next, it all fit perfectly. It took about 30 minutes from unboxing to having the whole mattress zipped up. Zipping up the final layer felt like quite an achievement and I have to say, that now knowing and seeing exactly what my mattress is made of, feels very good on some level. The idea also that we could unzip it and reconfigure it if desired is also nice. Actually ā€˜seeingā€™ the guts of the mattress for this customer was a nice reassurance that I didnā€™t desire or expect from the outset.

Weā€™ve now had the mattress for about a month and I really look forward to sleeping on it at night. When we travel, I look forward to coming back to sleep on it. It was such a good decision for us.

History:
-Previously we had a Beautyrest Cal King, non-pillowtop, pretty firm mattress.
-Current (and future): 100% organic latex, Spindle Abscond 10", soft, medium, firm (top-to-bottom) configuration, Eastern King.
-We did not purchase the box/frame from Neal but purchased that locally in SoCal with 3 inch gaps between slats in a platform configuration.

Hereā€™s wishing others on this forum success like weā€™ve had no matter the mattress you decide on. And if youā€™re in the market of a high end latex/non-chemical mattress with genuine customer service and no pressure, we definitely recommend you talk to Neal at Spindle.

Warmly, W & J

Hi WandJ,

Thanks for taking the time to share such detailed and helpful feedback about Neal and Spindle Mattress ā€¦ I appreciate it!

As you know, I and many others share your ā€œhigh praiseā€ of Neal and I think you made a great choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Itā€™s also great to see that you and your new ā€œsleeping systemā€ are getting along so well.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for ā€œThe Mattress Undergroundā€ and thank you other posters for this thread.

I have read many posts on this website during the past couple of weeks. I appreciate the ā€œmattressā€ education and the introduction to Spindle Mattress.

I thought I might ask if any of you have tried the medium and firm 10" Abscond and 7" latex mattresses

My spouse and are smaller people. We prefer a firmer mattress to ā€œsleep onā€ as opposed to ā€œsleep inā€. We both go to sleep starting on our sides and then generally end up on our backs.

We are thinking about both the 7" latex and the Abscond mattresses, and more importantly, whether the medium is firm enough vs. whether the firm is too firm.

Thank you again for any thoughts you are able to share.

side2back

I know this is an old post, so sorry to revive it :confused:
I did a lot of research and tested quite a few mattresses, and Iā€™m happy to say Iā€™ll go with Spindle!
Will order it early next month, canā€™t wait for it to arrive!

Hi Mike4432,

As you know from this topic and other comments throughout the forum ā€¦ you are certainly making a great quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your upcoming purchase.

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback once youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Seeing as this thread is a about a year old. wondering if the people who review are still happy with their Spindles?

Hi erikam1020,

Hopefully some of the members here that own one will see your post and share their comments but latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials and outside of an occasional defect (which is rare) it would certainly maintain its comfort and support for much longer than a year.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person ā€¦ if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isnā€™t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional ā€œbonus timeā€ would be higher as well.

There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

One of the advantages of a component mattress such as Spindleā€™s is that you can replace just a single layer instead of replacing the whole mattress if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually the top layer) or if your needs and preferences change over time.

Phoenix

We just bought a Spindle mattress and have been very happy. Like many others we started looking at mattresses and visited Jordanā€™s (in MA). That visit introduced us to latex mattresses and we left the store really liking the pranasleep vinyasa plush, but not liking the $5200 price (King). Determined that there must be more reasonable options I found this website and learned about Spindle Mattress in Acton, MA. My husband really liked that you could truly see what was in your mattress.

On MLK day 2016 we visited Spindle Factory. Their ā€œshowroomā€ has 4 beds: soft, medium, firm and extra firm. As side sleepers we wanted softness, but needed good supportā€¦ We were learning towards getting the medium and I mentioned to Kim that I had really liked the ā€œplushnessā€ of the Pranasleep. He shared that he slept on the firm mattress with a medium 3" latex topper and set up that option for us to try. We loved it - it was soft while giving us support. It cost $150 for the addā€™l layer of latex and $50 for a really comfy organic cotton cover for the topper.

Because we live in the area we arranged to pick it up a few days later when the order was ready. It came all shrink wrapped and did not take long to put together. We got a King and putting it together is a 2 person job. I was glad that we had been warned that we would initially think the cover was too small to fit the latex, but it really fit together. Because the mattress is heavy I suggest you put the bed together on the frame you plan to sleep on it as it would be very heavy to move. We have been sleeping with it for @ week and are very happy with our decision.

Hi smiles_cc,

Thanks for taking the time to share all your comments and feedback about Spindle ā€¦ I appreciate it.

As you probably know from your reading here you certainly made a great quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Itā€™s great to hear that the layering combination you chose worked out so well for you and Iā€™m also looking forward to any additional comments and updates you have the chance to share once youā€™ve slept on it for a little longer as well.

Phoenix