Review: Sleep EZ 13" latex bed + advice on layer stacking?

Hi buttercupbetty,

All of the layers of a mattress work together to provide comfort and distribute the load placed upon them. All the layers of a mattress actually compress simultaneously not sequentially and they will each compress to different percentages of their thickness depending on their position on the mattress, the firmness of each layer, the compression modulus of the material, the thickness of each layer, and the compression force that they are exposed to (which depends on the weight of the part of the body in contact with the mattress and the surface area that is bearing that weight which is constantly changing as you sink into the mattress more or change sleep positions).

While “going through” a layer is commonly used as a way to explain things because there is a different amount of force that “goes through” a layer and compresses the next layer of the mattress depending on the hysteresis of the material (how much energy it absorbs) and on how point elastic the material is (how much compression affects or is affected by the surrounding areas of the layer) … it would be just as accurate to say that you will “feel through” the top layer meaning that you will feel the properties of the next layer down to different degrees. Even the softest latex won’t “bottom out” (meaning it has no more ability to compress because the walls of the cell structure are fully compressed on top of each other) if it is on top of another foam layer and will have the ability to compress more yet even though very soft latex will compress to a much larger percentage of its thickness than a firmer layer. Every layer of a mattress affects and is affected by every other layer in the mattress to different degrees, even if you may not feel as much of a difference between a three and four layer design.

The compression of each layer (mainly controlled by thickness, firmness, compression modulus, hysteresis, and position along with a few other specs) are what creates the pressure relieving cradle of a mattress in the top layers which re-distributes weight and pressure on the bony prominences and pressure points of the body while the resistance to further compression of the deeper layers is what “stops” the heavier parts of the body from sinking down too far and putting the spine and joints out of their natural alignment. The balance between the opposing needs of pressure relief and spinal alignment is the main factor behind all mattress design and theory and why different mattresses match the body types and sleeping positions and preferences of different people … or don’t.

Without personal testing and going through the learning curve of becoming familiar enough with different types of materials and layering and how they work in combination with each other to predict how a certain layering may work for you … you would be much better off simply going with the suggestions of a knowledgeable retailer or manufacturer who is familiar with how the different options they offer fits the “averages” of people who may be similar to you. It may very well be that you personally would feel quite comfortable on a three layer combination, and there certainly wouldn’t be a “need” to go to a fourth layer with your BMI unless it was a personal preference for the comfort difference you may have noticed when testing out different configurations.

There is no formula that can predict with any certainty what type of layering you may do best with that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal experience and without this the next best way to decide on the design of a mattress is to use the “averages” of a manufacturer for people of your weight range, body type, sleeping style, and personal preferences.

Phoenix

I did try the 10" mattress and found it uncomfortable. Don’t remember the configuration. Found adding the 4th layer or topper in soft was more comfortable to me. The 13" is what I ordered. The configuration you mentioned T-S T-M T-M T-F. Is what was recommended to me. But trying in the store, I felt was too soft for me. So I went with the 2 firm layers. It is firm . If you like a softer feel I don’t know if you would be happy with 2 firms or the firm and xfirm. If it was me I would go with the 2 mediums first. But what do I know. Just my opinion. Hope you find a good combo. Would be interested to know what you decide and how you like it.

Hi Phoenix
That is interesting what you said about the savvy rest cover. Maybe that is why I am adjusting a little better now. Hopefully it will soften up a little more. The top layer which is T-S is in its own cover. I guess both covers would be the same. Hopefully it applies to that also. Was just disappointed that I didn’t feel that pressure relief that I was expecting (bc to me felt firmer than I was expecting) Don’t know if switching out 3rd firm layer with med. would give me the feeling I was expecting. I did put a wool mattress protector from savvy on it. Maybe that helped a little also. With savvy I would need to pay for the layer exchange if I Decided to try the medium layer. Haven’t decided yet . Would hate to do that and not be happy. Will give it a little more time.

Thank you! I will let you know what we decide to purchase!

Hi Debbiec,

Yes, the Unity Pillowtop is actually the Serenity mattress with the Harmony topper. Both use the same cotton quilted to wool cover as the top panel on their encasement, and this tends to be a bit stiff when new, but it will soften with use over time. Additionally, you have your wool mattress protector, along with your fitted sheets. With “stiffer” materials like the encasement that Savvy Rest uses, you‘ll find that it takes a bit longer for these items to “relax” and soften up a bit, so I would agree with you to give this a bit more time before considering any exchange options.

Phoenix

Thank you for clarifying that the Unity Pillowtop is actually the Serenity with a three inch topper. I am hoping to compare a 3 layer, 10" mattress with a 4 layer, 13" mattress. But the topper will feel much softer, right?

Maybe I can find a store with a 13" latex mattress within one encasement…

~BB

Hi buttercupbetty,

Assuming all of the layers used are the same, there can be a slight variation in 4-3" layers contained in a single encasement versus 3-3" layers in a single encasement with a 3" topper in its own encasement placed upon that mattress. A separate topper can be less “encumbered” when placed in its own separate encasement, and it can be allowed to contour a bit more than if placed within a tighter encasement with three other layers. But there is also the extra to layer of the encasement containing the 3-3" layers to be taken into account which can add a bit of “stiffness” between the base mattress and the topper. So in the end, the answer is “it depends”, and can be dictated to a degree by the mattress encasement material used.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

I somehow missed your response. This is a helpful reminder to do our own personal testing. I called SleepEZ and Jeremy recommended the standard 10" (S-M-F) mattress. We are seeking 100% NT.

I appreciate your reminder about not “going through the layers”. And that all latex layers will “work together”. So while I am looking for a clear guideline, you have (once again) reminded me that there really is no substitute for my own personal experience.

Thank you!

Hi buttercupbetty,

You’re welcome!

Phoenix

Hello TMU!

We finally received our SleepEZ 13" organic mattress (100% Natural Talalay from Radium). We are finding it quite comfortable. I am a side sleeper and might need it a tiny bit softer for my shoulder to sink in. I have only slept on it for four nights. But I’m waking up on my back, which is what happens on a firm mattress. I’m sure that Jeremy and Ramon will help us with any needed adjustments.

We also received our Cozy Pure Pebble Pique Matelasse protector. It is very soft and nice. However, our mattress is a bit thick for this. We are stretching it vigorously, but unable to get it to cover the sides of our mattress. I think this will be ok though. And it would fit perfectly on a 10" mattress.

Just a quick report that we are happy with our purchase!
Thank you all for your advice and support~

BB

Hi buttercupbetty,

Congratulations on your new mattress! :cheer: As you’re aware, you chose an item using good quality and durable materials.

Your mattress, especially the cover, will undergo a bit of a break-in, so if you can I’d wait for a month or so before making any decisions to manipulate the comfort layers.

Yes, it might take a bit more use for this protector to stretch enough to fit easily on your 13" mattress, as it works best on 6"-12" mattresses.

[quote]Just a quick report that we are happy with our purchase!
Thank you all for your advice and support~[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to post back, and I’ll look forward to learning about your new mattress after you’ve had the time to sleep upon it for a while longer.

Phoenix

Hello TMU,

Following up on our 13" mattress now that it has been a full month. I am waking up feeling slightly sore. I think I need a bit more cushion in the comfort layer. Current configuration is S-M-F-F.

I called SleepEZ and they said that most people would choose to add another MEDIUM, but based on my size, I might want to go with another SOFT layer. Adding another SOFT layer would give me the flexibility to go S-S-M-F, S-M-S-F, or S-M-F-S (unlikely!)

Any advice out there? I’m hoping to create my dream mattress with only one layer swap :wink:

I’m 5’6", 132lb, side sleeper…

Thank you!

Hi buttercupbetty.

It looks like you are only one layer away for your dream mattress and with some fine tuning you’ll get it just right. :slight_smile:

I would certainly rely on the advice given the manufacturer themselves as they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else (including me) and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you. The more accurate and detailed the information you provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choices out of the options they have available. Sleep EZ is extremely skilled in providing guidance to their customers and there is no one better equipped fine tune their systems or that would know what combination is most likely to have the best rate of success for your specific needs.

As you feel some discomfort with the S-M-F-F configuration I certainly agree with the initial advice you were given that you can get a little more plushness by exchanging one of the Firm layers with a Medium layer for a S-M-M-F configuration. Although the layer that you are exchanging is a little deeper into the mattress it is good to remember that all the layers work together and they lend some of their qualities to the layers above and below. This configuration can certainly give you enough plushness to relive the slight soreness that you are experiencing in the morning.

Replacing the one of the Firm layers with a Soft layer as you suggest in a S-S-M-F configuration while it gives you the ability to manipulate more configurations and would certainly accommodate for more plushness/comfort, the concern here would be (especially being with you being a side sleeper, even though you are petite) you would potentially sink in too deeply and this could negatively impact your alignment by having too much plushness from the 6" of S-S on top but not enough support from the 9" of S-S-M.

Changing one of the Firm layers for the Soft would give more ability to manipulate but could subtract from the best chance to provide the alignment that is necessary for a good posture.
A S-M-M-F would be a better configuration for most people and the softest configuration that would be recommended by most people in the industry would be a S-S-F and this would be mostly for people under 70 lbs or special needs.

A S-S-F-F configuration has the challenge that it sometimes can make the bed feel harder because having 2 plusher layers on top you would tend to go through those layers and sink in and tend to “fall” more abruptly to the firm layers underneath it

I hope this helps wit your decision and I look forward to any future updates.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

You are a genius :slight_smile: Our bed is perfect. I had some idea in my mind that I needed it “more firm” but I am sleeping well and it feels so comfortable.

Thank you for the layer exchange advice.

~buttercupbetty

Hi buttercupbetty.

Glad to be of help and…very glad to hear your mattress is “perfect” :cheer:

I do hope you’ll be able to visit the site again and provide future updates on your mattress once you’ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

LATEX STACKING Edge fix…no matter how you stack your latex lawyers, you can significantly improve the edges by inserting a 5’ dowel (wooden rod) between lawyers about 4" in from the edge. Don’t worry about the dowel moving; the grabbiness of latex will hold the dowel between the lawyers. This will strengthen the edges of the mattress creating a superior edge compared to any mattress ant any price.

Interesting suggestion that I’ve never come across before. When checking on available dowel rods I see that 5 foot is a commonly available length, but there are various diameter dowels usually in widths between 3.175mm (1/8″) and 50.8mm (2″). Is there a particular width that you’ve found to be optimal for such an application? Thanks for sharing this idea which could prove useful for many forum members to try. If anyone else attempts this it would be beneficial to share details of your experience.

Thanks!

• Bill