Rolling toward husband's side on Pure Latex Bliss mattress

We found a PLB Nature floor model with PLB latex split foundation (queen) locally for $1200. I had tried it in the store and it felt good (didn’t appear used, no sags). It was a TINY bit on the firm side for me, but I decided that I’d rather get one that is too firm than too soft, for practical reasons.

We’ve had it for about 3 weeks now. I am 5’2" and about 135 side sleeper, my husband is 6’2" and about 250 back sleeper. Within the first few days, I dismantled the foundation and removed the latex from the wood “frame” because I knew their frames are not adequate for latex beds, and I didn’t want to put any strain on the mattress. We built our own platform bed with PLENTY of supports, slats, and pegboard on top of the slats.

Our current set up is this:

• 2" medium dunlop topper in knit zipper cover (I cut the topper into two sections to try to make them independent of each other and minimize pull from my husband)
  • 1" talalay soft bare (ditto on cutting into sections)
  • PLB Nature nattress
  • 4" talalay (medium -ish) that had been removed from the foundations (two sections since the foundations themselves were split)
  • Pegboard
  • slats (approx 3" between slats, but pegboard makes up for the extra space)
  • Legs (x7)

Once a night my husband will switch to his side, and when he does my side slopes down to his side and I have to hold myself up.

I understand that this might be an indication that the mattress is too soft for him, and, in hindsight I would have gone with a split queen, rather than a solid core. But, since we have the mattress and can’t return it (sales are final on floor models) are there any ideas for reducing this? The only thing I can think of at this point is to cut the whole mattress in half and put the halves back in the mattress encasement. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

I think we figured it out. We removed the 4" latex (originally from the foundation) from under the mattress. It was just too soft. Now that the mattress is on the pegboard, it seems to pull very little, and only if he is on his side right next to me.

Hi Bazinga,

[quote]We’ve had it for about 3 weeks now. I am 5’2" and about 135 side sleeper, my husband is 6’2" and about 250 back sleeper.

Once a night my husband will switch to his side, and when he does my side slopes down to his side and I have to hold myself up.

I understand that this might be an indication that the mattress is too soft for him, and, in hindsight I would have gone with a split queen, rather than a solid core. But, since we have the mattress and can’t return it (sales are final on floor models) are there any ideas for reducing this? The only thing I can think of at this point is to cut the whole mattress in half and put the halves back in the mattress encasement. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance! [/quote]

This is a relatively common issue with couples that have a large weight differential between them and that sleep close enough together that the deeper “valley” that the heavier half of the couple creates in the mattress from their weight extends out far enough to reach the lighter half of the couple. The three main reasons that can contribute to “roll together” from the top down are comfort layers that are too thick and/or soft, deeper support layers that are too soft, or a foundation that that flexes or isn’t isn’t solid under the mattress or that allows the mattress to sag into the foundation.

Materials that have greater “point elasticity” (the ability of a material to be compressed in a specific area with less effect on the areas beside it) can also reduce roll together but this wouldn’t be a significant issue with the latex because it has very good point elasticity. Even if you have “split” the toppers though so that compressing one side has little effect on the other side, a mattress protector or other parts of your bedding that are tight across the surface or don’t have much elasticity (like a “drum effect”) can also contribute to the experience of “roll together” because it can increase the width of the “valley” beside the heavier partner.

It can take some trial and error to rule out the possibilities one at a time and find the “best possible” solution for your specific mattress (outside of more extreme options that you were suggesting such as cutting the mattress apart or replacing one or more layers in the mattress).

[quote]- 2" medium dunlop topper in knit zipper cover (I cut the topper into two sections to try to make them independent of each other and minimize pull from my husband)

• 1" talalay soft bare (ditto on cutting into sections)
  • PLB Nature nattress
  • 4" talalay (medium -ish) that had been removed from the foundations (two sections since the foundations themselves were split)
  • Pegboard
  • slats (approx 3" between slats, but pegboard makes up for the extra space)
  • Legs (x7)[/quote]

In looking at the specifics of your sleeping system the toppers have already been “isolated” from each other and have either a stretchy knit cover or are bare so they would be unlikely to be the most significant contributor to the roll together.

At this point the mattress itself can’t be changed (without mattress surgery) so I would leave that as a last resort.

You have already “fixed” the foundation so that there is no flex or sagging into the foundation that could be contributing to the problem.

By a process of elimination the most likely remaining way to reduce the roll together would be to remove the 4" latex layer underneath the mattress. This is a relatively soft layer (19 ILD) and will compress more under his weight than under yours so removing it could certainly make “enough” of a difference that any remaining roll together issues that come from the mattress itself will be “OK”.

Other options you could check is the effect of your sheets or any mattress protector or mattress pad you may be using.

The PLB mattress also has a fairly thick and non stretchy fire barrier that fits over the inside layers of the mattress like a fitted protector and removing this could also make a difference as well but it’s glued at the bottom so this type of alteration may void your warranty (although it’s fairly simple to remove if you are careful).

If none of these makes “enough” of a difference then your only remaining options would be to start making changes to the mattress itself (either splitting the layers and components, using a firmer support core, or using thinner/firmer comfort and transition layers).

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix. I think we were posting at the same time. We did remove the 4" layer and it helped a lot. I don’t get how that was ever sold by PLB!!?! Our current config is

-wool mattress pad (found one with jersey knit cotton and love it! Is it ok to post a link?)

• 2" medium dunlop
  • 1" (more like 3/4") soft talalay
  • Mattress

It feels pretty good to me, but I think it would be near perfect with another inch of super soft talalay. Any suggestions where to get 1" cheap?

After all of this, I am pretty sure we are going to be saving up for a FloBed. I am goldilocks, and their beds seem to make the most sense and the best value for the amount of tweaking I know I will have to do. I think the Nature was a good deal, that will be a huge improvement over our 10 year old sagging coil hunk of trash. But after this experience with the Nature, I definitely know I don’t want to ever spend full price on a non-customizable bed.

Hi Bazinga,

You’re right and I didn’t see your post until after I had posted my reply. I could probably have saved lots of typing and just have posted the “short version” which would have been “try removing the 4” layer" :slight_smile:

Some people are very attracted to the softest possible mattress in spite of the risks that can be involved and seem to like the latex foundation because of the additional softness it provides and I’ve seen some people use it in combination with the softest PLB mattresses such as the Beautiful or the Worlds Best Bed which is softer yet. It would certainly be much more risky in terms of potential alignment and lower back issues for most body types and it would also be more risky in terms of roll together for a couple that wasn’t more “balanced” in their weight differences.

The better online sources for toppers and other mattress components I’m aware of are listed in post #4 here. If you are looking for an inch of Talalay then it would be worth considering either Mattresses.net or KTT who both sell 1" talalay layers at very good prices.

As you know Flobeds is one of the members of the site and I think very highly of them. They certainly have a unique design with their vZone that can be a very good option for those who have more challenging circumstances where finding a good “match” in terms of PPP is more difficult.

Phoenix