Roomandboard.Com good value?

Hi phoenix,

I’m still searching for the right mattress and stumbled on the store room & board. Their mattresses look like they’re high quality but I’m concerned they’re overpriced. I’m interested in the encased coil ultra soft model which was nice in the store (although I would say soft not super ultra or anything like that). The mattresses are made by a manufacturer direct conpany calley restwell. Although it looks like these are simply reabadged for Roomandboard it also looks like a price premium.

Where else can I find a pocketed coil simple foam mattress without any latex or memory stuff for under 1300 in the nj/NY region?

Hi jqwer1,

The Room & Board mattresses are private label mattresses that are different designs from the mattresses sold by Restwell.

There isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” the value of a mattress because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that can affect the price of a mattress that can each be more or less important to some people and not to others who may have completely different criteria or definitions of “value”. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how a mattress compares to the other finalists you are considering or to other mattresses that are available to you in your area (or online if you are also considering online options) based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person or in one area of the country may not be good value for someone else that has very different needs and preferences or that lives in a different area.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the quality/durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I would be cautious about the Room & Board pocket coil mattresses that use polyfoam in the comfort layers because I believe that they may be lower quality/density than the guidelines I would normally suggest (possibly 1.2 lb polyfoam) which would be a weak link in the mattress. Having said that … if you can find out the density of the polyfoam layers and post them on the forum I’d certainly be happy to make some more specific comments and let you know if there are any lower quality and less durable materials that would be a reason for concern in terms of durability. Without knowing or confirming the density of the foam layers it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality and durability of the mattress.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the New York City area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here. There is also a list for the Monroe Township/Newark, NJ. region (with a fair bit of overlap) in post #7 here.

I don’t keep a record of the individual mattresses or their specs that the retailers and manufacturers in the hundreds of forum lists throughout the forum carry on their floor or have available online (it would be a bigger job than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but checking their websites and making some preliminary phone calls to the retailers/manufacturers that are on the local lists is always a good idea before you decide on which retailers or manufacturers you wish to deal with anyway. This will tell you which of them carry mattresses that would meet your specific criteria, are transparent about the materials in their mattresses, and that carry the type of mattresses that you are interested in that are also in the budget range you are comfortable with. Once you have checked their websites and/or talked with the ones that interest you then you will be in a much better position to decide on the ones that you are most interested in considering or visiting based on the results of your preliminary research and conversations.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
We were down looking at Room & Board bedroom furniture in Chicago today. We liked the feel of the Encased coil with Natural latex foam mattress. I understand that this mattress is made by Restwell. These are the specs per the website:

-Organic cotton cover
-Certified chemical free, 100% organic cotton
-Non-toxic natural fire-retardant fiber
-No flame-retardant chemicals
-Made from wood pulp
-New Zealand Joma™ wool
1.7 ounces of wool per square foot for plush surface comfort with excellent recovery
-3" soft organic latex foam
100% pure organic latex, created using the Dunlop process with no synthetic fillers
-Encased coil system
-14.5 gauge high-tensile tempered wire
-5"-wide CertiPUR-US® foam-encased perimeter

Here is the info that Room & Board gives:
-The natural latex perimeter on our Natural Encased Coil mattress is considered soft with a 4.5 density and ILD of 22.

Just wondering if you think there are any weak links in the materials?

Are there any other places in the Milwaukee area that you would recommend that we look?

Thanks!

Hi Walden710,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

The 5" of foam around the pocket coils would be polyfoam not latex and the specs they gave you would be for the latex comfort layer.

They don’t mention the density of the polyfoam encasement around the pocket coils and if you sit on the edge of your mattress or sleep with most of your weight concentrated on the outside edge of the mattress on a regular basis it would be a good idea to make sure that the foam density was at least 1.8 lbs.

Other than that … there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be a cause for concern in terms of durability.

The better option or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Milwaukee area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

If you are visiting Chicago then the Chicago list is in posts #2 and #4 here.

Phoenix