Round II: Novosbed, Nest, and Saatva

For round II I am considering:

Any help to narrow down my choices would be greatly appreciated!

Hi scoaste,

I’m not sure how much I can add to my comments and the links I included in my previous replies in your other topic.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or whether anyone else (including me) would have the same criteria or circumstances or would make the same choice.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

There is more information about Saatva mattresses in post #2 here and in post #1 here and the rest of the topic and a forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

While Saatva would be a “better than average” quality/value choice compared to many of the mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers (which I would avoid completely and is a fairly low bar to use as a point of comparison) … some of the materials they are using are less durable than I would be comfortable with and it would be the first one that I would eliminate from your list.

Other than Saatva … all of the other mattresses you linked meet the durability guidelines here relative to your weight range and while I can’t speak to how any of them will feel for you or which one you would prefer … none of them have any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern in terms of durability.

Just to reiterate some of my previous comments and links …

[quote]There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.[/quote]

You also indicated that edge support was a concern for you and innerspring mattresses that have a specific edge support system will tend to have firmer edges than foam mattresses.

Since some of the mattresses you are considering have latex comfort layers and some use memory foam there is more about the pros and cons of latex vs memory foam in post #2 here but the best way to know which types of mattresses or materials you tend to prefer in general terms will be based on your own testing on a range of different mattresses.

Once you have narrowed down your options to a list of finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design relative to your weight range and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations about each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials and components, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers and any costs involved, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

After talking to Joe from Nest, the choices are narrowed to:

ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: novosbed.com/product/the-novosbed/

Hi scoaste,

I’m looking forward to finding out which one you end up choosing :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I think I was predisposed to memory foam mattresses since satisfaction surveys seem to indicate most people like them over others. But not knowing much about them initially, I didn’t realize some of the common issues, such as off-gassing, lack of edge support, sleeping hot, etc. (in general). So after bouncing around on my journey to select a mattress, I have actually decided to purchase the The Alexander Hybrid Signature Select Mattress.

I’ll post about my experiences as the journey continues. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi scoaste,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Received a FedEx shipping notice yesterday (3/2) saying anticipated ship date was Monday (2/29) and expected delivery is today (3/3) by EOD. Since the status says “Label created. Shipment information sent to FedEx.” I don’t expect to see it today, sadly.

Hi scoaste,

Sometimes the anticipation and waiting time between a purchase and when you actually receive it can be the hardest part of all :slight_smile:

Phoenix

True that. Update: “This shipment was tendered to FedEx Ground on 03/03/2016. Scheduled delivery: Tue, 3/8/2016 by end of day.” Fingers X.

It has arrived! The box was pretty beat up, but the bed is in pristine condition. Dragged it into the bedroom, unboxed it, cut off the first layer of plastic keeping it rolled up, moved it onto the bed, and finally cut off the plastic sealing the mattress. It’s now decompressing and I will sleep on it tonight. So far so good, and will let you know how it sleeps!

I tried to post a new topic with pics, but it didn’t show up for some reason :unsure:

Hi scoaste,

It’s great to hear that your mattress arrived :slight_smile:

Your pictures are probably larger than the limits for forum image attachments (see here) and you should be able to attach them if you reduce the size to less than 2000kb and to a maximum of 800 x 800 pixels for the width and height. If you don’t know how to reduce them or if you have any other difficulties then you can also email them to me at the contact email at the top right of the page and I can reduce the size and attach them to your post for you as well.

Phoenix