S,M,F,XF switching to M,F,S,XF

I have also tried the medium over soft but sags down too much since I am heavy. I have softened up the soft layer quite a bit sleeping with it on top and also the medium layer is broken in. I would prefer just buying another medium layer to replace the soft but in interest of saving money would the M,F,S,XF work without compromising the firm layer by softening it up too much? Seems this configuration may result in a light hammock from the soft layer bending but probably not too noticeable. I guess the firm would remain relatively flat and not broken in with medium on top of it?

Also my wife’s side is MMFXF which was originally my configuration. Maybe her side having the M,F,S,XF would be better since she is much lighter? We both like nice straight fairly firm bed, she decided she didn’t like soft on top so I took it on my side but my lower back doesn’t like the dip. We are 2 1/2 years into using the Sleepez bed and overall are quite happy with it. Once I figure out where to put the unwanted soft layer I’d eventually like a 1" soft topper on my side

Hi MaxPwr,

Unfortunately the first “rule” of mattress shopping (and mattress layering) is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a certain combination of layers will “feel” to you or compare to other combinations based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own actual personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

All the layers of a mattress compress simultaneously not sequentially and they will each compress to different percentages of their thickness depending on their position on the mattress, the firmness of each layer, the compression modulus of the material, the thickness of each layer, and the compression force that they are exposed to which depends on the weight and shape of the surface areas of the part of the body in contact with the mattress and the amount surface area that is bearing and “spreading out” that weight which is constantly changing as you sink into the mattress more or make larger or smaller changes in your sleeping positions over the course of the night.

Layers closer to the top will generally compress more than the deeper layers and softer layers will compress more than firmer layers but what you feel on a mattress is a combined effect of all the layers and the “mattress as a whole” more than the effects of just a single layer. The properties and firmness of materials and components that are closer to the top surface of a mattress will tend to have a bigger effect on the overall “feel” and firmness of a mattress than materials that are deeper in the mattress.

Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a particular combination of layers as well (see post #15 here) so different people can have very different opinions on how two combinations compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one combination as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” mattress comfort issues on a forum with any certainty because there are too many unique unknowns, variables, and complexities involved that can affect how each person sleeps on a mattress in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or any “symptoms” they experience … there is more about the most common symptoms that people may experience when they sleep on a mattress and the most likely (although not the only) reasons for them in post #2 here.

There is also more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

These posts are the “tools” that can help with the analysis, detective work, or trial and error that may be necessary to help you learn your body’s language and “translate” what your body is trying to tell you so you can identify the types of changes that have the best chance of reducing or eliminating any “symptoms” you are experiencing (at least to the degree that any symptoms are from your mattress rather than the result of any other circumstances or pre-existing issues you may have that aren’t connected to a mattress).

In very general terms … the top layer is mostly about pressure relief, the deeper layers are more about support, and the middle layers can contribute to both. Moving firmer layers closer to the top and softer layers deeper in the mattress will generally improve support. Moving softer layers up and moving firmer layers down will generally improve pressure relief. Changing the “feel” is just a preference issue and would be based on your own experience rather than on any “symptoms”.

Layers that are deeper in the mattress will also soften more slowly than layers that are closer to the surface but latex in general is the most durable of all the foam materials so once it has broken in then any further changes in firmness tend to be very gradual over longer periods of time than with other foam materials.

Identifying the type of layering changes that would have the best chance of success will depend more on assessing how your actual “symptoms” and sleeping experience changes compared to other combinations that you have tried because the actual changes in your symptoms and sleeping experience between different combinations (specific symptoms that become better or worse) and identifying whether any symptoms you are experiencing are more related to alignment/support or comfort/pressure relief or the more subjective “overall feel” of the mattress are much more important and helpful than just identifying whether a particular combination either “works” or “doesn’t work”.

If you can provide more specific information about your body type and weight, your sleeping positions, and the specific symptoms you experienced on each combination and how (and how much) they changed when you tried different combinations it may be possible to make an “educated guess” about the type of layering changes that may help to resolve any symptoms you are experiencing that may be worth trying.

If you purchased your mattress from a knowledgeable and experienced online manufacturer or retailer then I would also make sure to talk with them on the phone (not with email … see post #4 here) as well so that you can benefit from their years of experience with other customers that may have similar circumstances or experiences to you as well. They would know more about the options they have available and would generally be a better source of guidance than anyone else.

Phoenix