Saatva hybrid spring mattress

I wanted to recommend the Saatva company if you are in the market for a hybrid spring mattress. They allow free returns and refund money to your credit card promptly, minus the delivery charge. They do this with absolutely no hassle and even apologies that the mattress doesn’t work for you. Ultimately we decided my wife’s hip problem could not be cured by a hybrid spring mattress, but I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

Hi leicanat,

I’m not clear why you are recommending the Saatva mattress or what you are using as the basis for your recommendation when there are certainly better quality mattresses available in the market in a similar budget range. It’s also somewhat unusual that someone’s first post here is “recommending” a mattress that they ended up returning. Did they ask you to post here as part of the return/refund process?

In any case … for the benefit of others that read your post you can see some more detailed comments about the Saatva mattress in post #1 here and in post #2 here that also includes more comments about many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses as well … many of which don’t charge you anything to return their mattress. A forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will bring up many more comments and feedback about them as well.

Phoenix

Saatva did not ask me to post to this forum. I don’t think I would have put the part about returning the mattress if I wanted to give a glowing review of their mattress. I know their mattress was rated #12 among mattresses by Consumer Reports. I am not saying they are the best hybrid mattress nor am I saying they provide the best service, if for no other reason than my limited experience. I liked the mattress but my spouses hip although improved was not as good as we had hoped , So we are trying a Latex mattress. I was highly impressed with Saatva’s service. I hear you saying that I am easily impressed. OK.

Hi leicanat,

That’s good to hear because they are very active in “managing” what is written about them online and there have been a number of examples of where they have “influenced” what was written about them even on this forum.

The main reason for my comments was that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for someone else in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than their own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or if they can’t test a mattress in person then their own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I always suggest being very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

Most consumers also don’t have the knowledge or expertise to be able to assess the quality and durability of the materials in a mattress and often mistake the “comfort” of a mattress with the quality of the mattress so even though they may be well meaning … they end up recommending lower quality and less durable mattresses that will soften or break down much to quickly just because it happens to be comfortable to one person. Most consumers aren’t really aware that how a mattress feels to them has very little relevance to anyone else and they don’t have the knowledge or experience to recommend a specific mattress for anyone else.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

What firmness level did you go with?

Thanks in advance !

We tried Saatva luxury soft which lessened my wife’s hip pain but we hope a soft talalay natural latex will do more. Of course no way to know. We went with flobeds which some people on the forum like, so far the service is great (they do cost more). We are expecting the mattress soon. Thanks.

Hi Leicanat,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a high quality choice this time and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’m interested in the luxury soft myself, as I am primarily a side sleeper.

I want to ask though; when lying on your back, did you experience a lot of “skin” in the bed? Or did the mattress maintain its shape? If you don’t mind me asking - how much do you weigh? So i can get the best insight here.

Thanks !

Thanks, we will let you know how it goes.

On the Saatva well I assume by skin in the bed you mean how far did we sink in. I would say not too much, It’s not like a swedish foam where you feel you have to get out of the hole to roll over. I weight 155lbs and my wife weight is 125lbs. As far as did it keep it’s shape: we only had it for a month so yes it kept it’s shape, long term I don’t know.