Saatva Matress. A Customer who used the matress before posting.

I read this forum before I purchased my Saatva about a year and a half ago. . I wanted to wait a while before I posted about my experience with the company and how the mattress held up. I would give the mattress a 6 out of 10 rating. I purchased the king size firm mattress and although it was comfortable at first, the indentations that occur over time can make sleeping uncomfortable. I also spent a good amount of money on a king size matelassé summer bedspread, dust ruffle, shams, pillows etc… only to have the indentations make the mattress look cheap as you can see them with the bedspread on the bed. I turn the mattress (head and feet) regularly but that just makes the indentations go from edge to edge. Also, I did purchase the most poplar model at first and the company did return it at no charge. as I had an indentation problem with that mattress as well. I would have kept the first mattress if I had any idea that the second would do that same thing. I previously owned a Tempur-Pedic before this mattress and although very comfortable at first, it also gets permanent indentations. I will consider a different mattress brand for my next purchase… . .

Hi zeuserman1,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your Saatva mattresses.

As you probably know from the time you spent on this site previously your experience isn’t all that surprising because Saatva uses some lower quality materials in their mattress and the risk of premature softening or sagging with a mattress that uses lower quality materials is higher than it would be with many of the other options that are available to you that use higher quality and more durable materials in their mattresses.

There is also more about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price or course and the options you have available after a purchase).

While I can’t speak to how a mattress will feel for someone else … outside of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

I would also be very cautious about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and all manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress (which are the two most important parts of a mattress purchase). There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here.

Phoenix

PS: I deleted your post in the other topic because it was a duplicate of your post here.

Thank you. Great information. I agree with you about brand shopping. I would have thought when I spent a small fortune on the posture pedic that it would have lasted and been comfortable for much longer. I will continue to do my research. I initially bought the Saatva due to the rave reviews from other customers. After I returned the first mattress I made it a point to wait form more than a year to give a better review. My thanks for all of the effort you put into this blog.