Saatva mattress review and analysis

deleted

Hi timetomoveon,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and the Durango firm uses good quality materials in its budget range.

It sounds like you did well this time!

Phoenix

Thank you for this information.

It looks like my next mattress purchase also won’t be a Saatva.

I will definitely ditch my current Saatva (which is so-so) for perhaps a better quality Denver Mattress.

deleted

Hi all,

I’m in the process of looking for a mattress and have been considering Saatva… I’m really on the fence at this point especially after reading a few of these posts. It seemed like a good candidate for me since I am looking for something fairly plush, under $1000 for a full size and most importantly NO chemical emissions. It seems like they tick off on the first two boxes, however I am not so sure about the third – I am highly sensitive to chemicals and the last two beds I have owned have caused me to get almost completely stuffed up about 15 mins into sleeping on the bed.

SO, my question is has anyone acquired any info during their search/purchasing from them, specifically regarding the fire retardants they use… (from mattress tags, documentation etc.) I haven’t been able to find anything on their website – honestly their green initiative: http://www.saatvamattress.com/green-initiative.html means almost nothing to me as those two mattress I mentioned were both certified, one with certi-pur and the other one something similar which I can’t recall at the moment. While digging around, I found this website: http://www.thenontoxicsnooze.com/ which claims to have a full list of chemicals they use, however I have no idea how legit that is…

If anyone here who has slept on a Saatva for any period of time, and is chemical-sensitive like me would love it if they could give me any feedback on this…

Thanks so much!!

Hi ownerofabrokenbed,

I’m guessing you’ve already read this (since you are posting in the same topic) but just in case you haven’t there is more detailed information about Saatva in post #1 here. A forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

Unfortunately you won’t find any mattress that meets your criteria for NO chemical emissions because it doesn’t exist in the market. All mattress materials have some VOC’s although not all VOC’s are harmful (fruits and vegetable have VOC’s that aren’t harmful for example).

Post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and green mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable having in your mattress and help you answer “how safe is safe enough for me”. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, and lifestyle choices.

There are a few comments about the Saatva fire barrier in posts #2 and #4 here.

The website you linked has a great deal of misleading content including information such as this …

[quote]To cut costs, however, manufacturers often blend the natural hevea milk with other fillers such as polyurethane, and other petro-chemicals. Unfortunately, a lack of US regulations for mattress labeling in the leaves room for marketing “greenwashing” resulting in terms like “Natural latex” applied to mattresses with no more than 20% latex and 80% filler chemicals (petro-chemicals).

Natural latex is obviously the optimal choice for health reasons but also tends to last much longer than blended and synthetic latex.[/quote]

… which indicates that they are confusing polyurethane with synthetic latex (which are very different materials) and aren’t very familiar with the properties or “safety” of different types and blends of latex. I wouldn’t take the information there as being particularly reliable or accurate.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks so much for the speedy and thorough reply! The post with the organic mattress companies is interesting and looks promising… I will take a look into those guys and maybe give them a call. Otherwise I will probably just go with a Saatva and risk the $100 return shipping fee.

Thanks again for your help!!

Hi ownerofabrokenbed,

As you know from the information in the previous post I linked if either green, natural, or organic materials are important to you then the Saatva probably wouldn’t be the best choice and you have many other good options available to you that would probably be either “greener”, more natural, or that included more organic components (or that only used organic materials and components). While Saatva would generally be “better than average” in terms of quality/value compared to most mainstream options … for most of the members of this site they probably wouldn’t be in the best quality/value range either. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between your “finalists”.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

I came across your site researching a Saatva mattress. My husband and I are needing to replace our 20+ year old mattress but are having a very difficult time. He likes something very firm due to lower back pain. I need a softer mattress due to pain and pressure points. We need a king mattress as he is over 6 feet. We looked at the Sleep Number and found a lot of negative reviews. We looked at some VERY ($7000.00) expensive mattresses at Bob Mills that you could customize to the firmness you desired but was really hoping to find something more reasonable!! We are in Lubbock, TX zip 79424—are there any stores here that carry the mattresses you recommend considering? Any other brands that can accomodate 2 very different needs?

Thanks!

Hi Debbie,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

I would be very cautious about using mattress reviews (positive or negative) to help you assess whether a mattress may be suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, or Personal preferences) or the durability of a mattress or as a reliable source of mattress research or information and in many cases they can be much more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

Having said that … I would also be very cautious before choosing an airbed and you can see my comments about them in this article.

There are certainly many great quality mattresses that would be in a much more reasonable budget range and I would question whether any mattress purchase in that budget range would be “worth it” for most people. There are also some suggestions in the first part of post #2 here that may be helpful for couples that have very different body types or sleeping positions and have very different needs or preferences but of course your own testing (with both of you on the mattress) will always be the most reliable way to know whether any specific mattress is a good match for both of you in terms of PPP.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Lubbock, TX area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

I don’t think any of these have customizable mattresses available although they may carry a non customizable mattress that has a design that is a good match for both of you. The mattress shopping tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members of the site that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them make latex mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different options and designs that are in much lower budget ranges and many of these are component designs that can be customized for each person and also have side to side split options available as well.

Phoenix

deleted.

5 months of use and their mattress breaks down?

And Saatva didn’t offer you a replacement? Jeeeesh.

I think you can upload pictures here. I think people would love to see them.

You’ll hear from them now. They seem to respond when you tell the public what crap their mattresses are. They’ll offer to send you a new mattress in exchange for you telling the public how magnificent their customer service is. Keep us posted how it goes.

deleted

deleted.

Hi riley,

I’m sorry to hear about your experience with your Saatva mattress.

[quote]Are we allowed to post pics about the saatva bed? I am a new poster & want to stay within guidelines.

I was going to post pics so as to help anyone else who might be considering the saatva bed. Only if allowed.[/quote]

Absolutely … you are always welcome to post pictures or a mattress on the forum.

If your mattress has visible impressions that are more than 1 1/2 inches deep then you would probably qualify for a warranty exchange. You can see the details of the Saatva warranty here.

[quote]I will try and attach the pics…this is a first for me here…hope the pics show

thanks for the reply wallyW

P.S.==I tried to add pics but I get a fatal error telling me to contact board admins etc…maybe 1 pic at a time… [/quote]

This is an error that is usually the result of an image that is larger than the maximum size that is allowed by the forum software. If you send me the pictures at the contact link on top of the page I can resize them for you and add them to your post.

It sounds like they are replacing the mattress under the warranty … is that right?

Phoenix

deleted

deleted.

deleted