Saatva mattress review and analysis

i am so thankful that this thread exists! like several others, i came across this thread while researching saatvas, and am so happy that i’ve been saved from dealing with this company. it’s entirely possible that my experience would’ve been perfect from start to finish, and i would’ve had no further need for their customer service.

but it’s far more likely there would be some hiccup along the way, because that’s just par for the course. and based on what i’ve seen here – strictly based on official representatives of the company, mind you – i’m simply not interested in the type of headache that could come with a saatva purchase. honestly, i’d rather be ignored than hounded any day! (i stress that my words are not a personal attack, but an opinion based solely on the 12 forum pages i just read through.)

that said, my wife and i have been mattress shopping for more than a year, and this same thing always seems to happen… no matter what, we think we’ve decided on one thing, and then more information and/or reviews leave us gunshy. (either that, or the initial price for a higher quality product puts us off right away.) i swear, buying a house is easier!

in this instance, i am glad the additional info saved us the possible problems that could come with a saatva purchase, but i’m still finding mattress shopping to be such a frustrating process overall. i will be studying phoenix’s mattress buying guide carefully, and hope that will help us actually make a purchase soon! my old mattress is long past due for replacing, and my quality of sleep is suffering as a result.

Hi kayce,

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

If you are looking at online purchases then the tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include a very wide range of mattresses in a wide range of budgets. You can also read more about the “simplified choice” group of mattresses (which includes Saatva) in posts #1 and #2 of this topic.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are in your area.

Phoenix

i’m in the atlanta area, so anything within an hour or two of that should be easily accessible for me… there are a lot of mattress stores in and around the entire metro area, but they’re the high-pressure, perpetually-going-out-of-business type so we’ve never gone in. if there’s an outlet or similar around here that isn’t like that, i would definitely check it out.

Hi kayce,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Atlanta area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines in my last reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

At the least, this was an entertaining read. But in the end, now I’m even more unsure of what mattress to get. By nature, I am a researchaholic which is how I ended up at this forum (I never stop looking until I find the negative reviews of a product/company and boy were they hard to find with the Saatva mattress). In the end, it sounds like the Saatva mattress is a reasonable quality mattress for the price but as with any researchaholic, I want the most for my money.

I appreciate all your info on this forum and will “study” your guide to buying a mattress. I am in a suburb of Austin, TX (78665) and was hoping there were some local mattress shops that I could tolerate even entering. One of the biggest reasons I was going to go with the Saatva was to avoid the sleazy mattress sales process all together which is unavoidable at any chain store.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! THanks

Hi MBMoe101,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Austin, TX area (subject to making sure that any mattress you consider meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

The tutorial also includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step).

Phoenix

Apparently Austin Mattress (austinmattress.net) is going out of business. This may help the value proposition but could also mean limited supply at this point. Also, I would fear they would try to push anything they had left vs. sincerely trying to find the right match for me and my wife. Thoughts?

Even after reading a lot of the guidance on your mattress forum, I’m still unsure on what type of mattress will work best for us. My wife and I were set on an inner spring mattress but that is mostly due to familiarity with that type. My wife has had previous experience with a Tempurpedic and was not a fan. So she is pretty biased against anything memory foam like. I’m intrigued by latex and it appears Austin Mattress still has a wide selection of them. Given my wife is “anti” Tempurpedic, by association, do you think she would be “anti” latex?

Below are body types and sleeping styles:

• Wife is 130 lbs and is a complete side sleeper. She generally prefers a softer mattress than myself. I would say her preferred type of mattress is what I would call upscale hotel style which I have seen called “Luxury Firm” in several instances.
  • I am 150 lbs and mostly a side sleeper but sleep flat on my back on occasion. I have some back pain and prefer a firmer mattress.
  • We are both “hot” sleepers so anything that sleeps warm would not work

Currently we have a Stearns and Foster “Firm Plush” we bought at a Sears Outlet store several years ago for what seemed to be a reasonable price at the time. It is fine but I have always felt it was lacking.

Given all that, is there any general recommendations on types so we can narrow our search some. If you think latex is a good fit, do you have any opinions on the value of the latex mattresses from Austin Mattress?
http://www.austinmattress.net/#!latex-mattresses/c6a8

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Hi MBMoe101,

I switched your post to a new topic with a different title since your questions weren’t related to the original topic.

There is some good information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

As long as you follow all the appropriate guidelines for choosing a mattress and test a mattress carefully for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) and you find out all the specifics of the materials and components inside a mattress to make sure there aren’t any lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress and you make good value comparisons with your other finalists it would be difficult for any store to “push” one of the members here into making an unsuitable choice.

Any mattress that is a good match for you in terms of PPP and that also uses good quality and durable versions of the materials and components inside it so there aren’t any weak links in a mattress can make a suitable choice. In other words … the choice between different combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses is a preference and/or a budget choice and not a “better worse” choice (see this article). Different people can have very different preferences about the type and combinations of different materials or mattresses that they prefer and there is no better or worse or right or wrong when it comes to preferences. The only way to really know which types of mattresses that you prefer is based on your own personal experience.

Latex is a very different material from memory foam so how someone feels about memory foam certainly wouldn’t indicate how they feel about (or on) latex which is a much more resilient (springy) material than memory foam. There is more about how latex compares to memory foam in post #2 here but the most reliable way to know how you feel about any material or type of mattress is based on your own experience.

I would keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

It’s not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved outside of just the foam in the comfort layers including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials. In other words some people can sleep hot on a mattress that most people would be fine with. Having said that … latex in general is the most breathable and “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials (latex foam, polyfoam, and memory foam ) so it would be unusual that someone would sleep hot on a mattress that used latex comfort layers.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types and combinations of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer many of the specific questions you may have along the way that don’t involve what you will “feel” on a mattress, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress, manufacturer, or combination of materials is “best for you” regardless of whether anyone else has the same criteria or would make the same choice.

My “best” recommendation is to always follow the information and steps in the tutorial post one at a time but when you are making a local purchase in the end they they really come down to …

1. Careful testing to make sure a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (or making sure that you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t sure).

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would significantly reduce the durability and the useful life of a mattress.

3. Making good “value” comparisons between your finalists based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

You’re wrong about that Wally. I am having an issue right now with a Saatva mattress I bought over a year and a half ago. There’s nothing wrong with it, except that It never did seem firm enough for us and I kept putting it off, but I finally sent them an email about it. I wasn’t expecting any action really because we’ve had it for such a long time, but I got a phone call right away and they were very accommodating.

I have never had a better customer service experience - and I have not posted publicly anywhere.

Not true in my case. As I replied to Wally along the same lines, I am having an issue right now with a Saatva mattress I bought over a year and a half ago. There’s nothing wrong with it, except that It never did seem firm enough for us and I kept putting it off, but I finally sent them an email about it. I wasn’t expecting any action really because we’ve had it for such a long time, but I got a phone call right away and they were very accommodating.

Are you going to share what they did for you or is it up to us to imagine?

Hi dw,

It would probably help if you included some quotes from the post you are replying to so that we can see the comments you are replying to.

I also agree that it would be helpful if you included some specifics about what they did for you.

I also deleted one of your posts since it was basically a duplicate of your post right before it.

Phoenix

We have a Saatva mattress, have had it for three years and I have never liked it from day one. We ordered plush/soft and it is not any kind of plush, it’s firm, and we have had to have toppers on it from the beginning. I should have returned it but I didn’t actually want to admit how much I disliked it because we had already had another bed that didn’t work out a few years before that. At first we had a memory foam topper on it and now there’s a latex topper on it from Sleep Like a Bear, so it’s tolerable. I want to buy a mattress to replace it from Cozypure but I don’t live near there to try it out so I am hesitant to spend that much money sight unseen.

Anyway, bottom line, Saatva is not for me and I wish we had never ordered it. Live and learn.

Hi terrieb,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your Saatva mattress.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to either fine tune a mattress or exchange or return it can be one of the most important parts of the “value” of a purchase. There are so many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved in choosing a suitable mattress that are unique to each person that the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your personal preferences) will be based on your own personal experience so it’s unfortunate that you didn’t take advantage of their return policy so you could start over again to choose a mattress that was a more suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences.

As you know CozyPure is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

There is more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (locally and online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved of making a choice that isn’t as suitable for you as you hoped for in post #2 here.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include CozyPure) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

It good to hear that at least your topper has helped to some degree.

Phoenix

Oh yes I agree, we should have taken advantage of the return policy but my husband actually liked it because he likes a firmer mattress so I decided to just deal with it. It has not been horrible, just not anything at all special and not worth the $1900 it ended up being with shipping, etc. I expected a lot better mattress with all their hype.

I went to Fox Mattress with a friend who was bed shopping recently and really liked some of their beds so may end up buying one from them soon. What usually happens when we try mattresses in the store is we buy one and it ends up being nothing like it was in the show room (not broken in), but I did try a couple of mattresses they had just put out and really liked them so I have high hopes! :slight_smile:

Hi terrieb,

As you probably know Fox Mattress is one of the members of this site which means that I think very highly of them (and Rick the owner) and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They would certainly be well worth a visit for anyone that is looking for a new mattress that is within reasonable driving distance.

In most cases and for "most people … careful testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial and spending 15 - 20 minutes on a mattress can come close enough to predicting your actual sleeping experience that only minor fine tuning would be necessary if any is necessary at all (see post #4 here). Of course this would be true for “most people” but not for “all people”. There is always some additional risk with an online choice where you haven’t tested the mattress in person or the mattress is different from a specific design that you have tested locally but return and exchange options can lower the risk of online choices. There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

I read this forum before I purchased my Saatva about a year and a half ago. . I wanted to wait a while before I posted about my experience with the company and how the mattress held up. I would give the mattress a 6 out of 10 rating. I purchased the king size firm mattress and although it was comfortable at first, the indentations that occur over time can make sleeping uncomfortable. I also spent a good amount of money on a king size matelassé summer bedspread, dust ruffle, shams, pillows etc… only to have the indentations make the mattress look cheap as you can see them with the bedspread on the bed. I turn the mattress (head and feet) regularly but that just makes the indentations go from edge to edge. Also, I did purchase the most poplar model at first and the company did return it at no charge. as I had an indentation problem with that mattress as well. I would have kept the first mattress if I had any idea that the second would do that same thing. I previously owned a Tempur-Pedic before this mattress and although very comfortable at first, it also gets permanent indentations. I will consider a different mattress brand for my next purchase… . .

I am so thankful for this forum. Would you please be able to send me in the right direction for a mattress in the upstate NY, Albany area? Zip is 12414. ANY information you provide would be much appreciated. Like many members I was - this close to buying a Saatva…and based on the honesty of this forum alone, decided not to. I appreciate your time in responding and look forward to your response. Thanks!

Hi K2theG,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Albany/Schenectady area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #4 here.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

[quote=“jdicecco” post=34984]
My opinion based on my training and knowledge of human behavior: .[/quote]

And that is you are an FBI profiler or just read a couple comic books on it?

Really, this is ridiculous. As far as what it looks like, well it looks like that there are a couple paid shrills for another mattress company wearing barbed wire thongs that are rubbing them raw. At least that is what it looks like as long as we are talking about what things look like,

I came to read on Saatva and couple other mattresses. While this thread is was interesting it was not very substantive other than to look at the antics that are allowed to go on around here.

I spent quite a bit of time reading the reviews of many of the “members” from here and elsewhere and guess what. Same damn thing, poor delivery, same mistakes with the mattress and it did not fit their sleeping style and good luck getting a return. Yet, many other sites recommend Saatva and Phoenix’s review is that they are better than average, but he thinks others might be better. The issue seems to be Saatva has great reviews that ticks the minions off, therefore they “must” be bad. Boy, that is a leap in logic for sure.

No I do not work for Saatva, have not bought one, but the blatant stupidity and snarkiness of the suspected paid anti-Saatva shrills is huge turnoff for any credibility here when it does not seem to match what is found elsewhere.

take it for what it looks like.