Saatva trouble

Hi Exhausted,

That would depend on how much research someone was doing into fire barriers but for most people that were focused on researching fire barriers in the first place (or who have chemical sensitivities) they would probably realize that they were being more transparent than most manufacturers about their fire barrier (most manufacturers provide even less information than this) and they would probably realize that this was some type of rayon/viscose/polyester inherent fire barrier. I would at least give them credit for being more transparent than most manufacturers that don’t provide any significant information about their fire barriers at all.

The problem with this is that you don’t know for certain what is causing your sensitivity because there are also other materials in a mattress that some people can be sensitive to (such as memory foam) and you may be sensitive to some fire barrier materials and not others. These types of “blanket” and non specific warnings that are based on an individual sensitivities rather than “unsafe materials” can lead people to become overly concerned about issues that may not even apply to them. It would be like saying “nobody should buy a mattress that contains wool because I’m allergic to wool”. While I agree with you that there is too little transparency about fire barriers in the industry … those manufacturers that do disclose some information about their fire barriers are at least taking a step in a good direction and I don’t think this would be a reason to single them out for criticism when most of the industry is even less transparent than they are.

Aramid or Para Aramid fibers (such as Nomex or Kevlar) are used in bulletproof vests and are occasionally used as a fire barrier fabric or as part of a blended fabric but they are more commonly used as the thread in other types of fire barriers. You can see a few comments about them at the end of post #13 here. You can see a Material Safety Data Sheet for Nomex here and for Kevlar here. While they are also synthetic (and some people wish to avoid all synthetic materials), I would consider them to be “safe” as well.

Phoenix