Safe firm latex for 3yo son

Hi. We’re in the market for a low/no voc/or preferably an organic twin size mattress. We can’t spend much. $300 is likely our max. We had success with Arizona premium mattress when purchasing our king. Any tips on where to buy a children’s mattress? We love our natural latex

Hi Lnr103,

Since you have already purchased from them it may be well worth considering their latex children’s mattress here.

Other than that … post #2 here and the topics it links to also includes much more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which include many good options for children in a wide range of prices.

Phoenix

Thank you so much. Checked out the kids twin at Arizona Premium.

It’s a 6" mattress of a mixed blended and natural talalay scraps for $340. It’s for a 3yo and I’m hoping it will last him 10yrs or so.

What are your thoughts? I wanted to do natural latex but seems out of our price range.

Hi Lnr103,

Blended Talalay latex is among the most durable foam materials in the industry so it would certainly be reasonable to expect that it would last for 10 years and probably longer.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but all of the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay that is made with either natural or synthetic rubber or a blend of both) will have a reliable certification such as Oeko-Tex, Eco-Institut, or Greenguard Gold and based on actual testing I would consider any type or blend of latex to be a very “safe” material in terms of harmful substances and VOC’s.

The glue they use is also a safe material.

Overall it would certainly make a suitable choice for a child and it’s unlikely that you will find another all latex mattress or even a latex hybrid that uses meaningful amounts of latex in your budget range.

Phoenix

Unfortunately, a low budget is preventing you from buying the right mattress for your son.

A 3 year old boy will most likely outgrow the inexpensive latex scraps mattress due to growth, size and weight before he is 7 years old. A young growing child needs firm spine support.

I purchased a Healthy Kids mattress (Berkeley Ergonomics) for my 9 year old granddaughter. She’s getting superior spine support and the mattress will provide future comfort as she reaches teen years. Today she is 48" inches tall and weighs 51 pounds. She will most likely remain a slim girl so the mattress will last 10 years or so. Has her sleep improved? Huge, huge, improvement.

The $560 divided by 10 years is $56 per year. An affordable “investment” and surely worth it to provide physical support and spine health. A Healthy Toddler starts at $385 and it’s ALL NEW construction, not waste products.

Check your son’s growth chart and determine his size and weight when he’s 8, 9, 1o.

Now is the time to invest the extra $$ in a child’s healthy sleep and encourage and maintain it throughout his lifetime. If I sound a bit bossy, it’s because I’m an advocate for children’s healthy growth and only adults can provide, supervise and teach it.

Hi PapaMike,

There is no such thing as the “right” mattress for anyone.

Unfortunately I think that your “advocacy” may have overcome your ability to provide good advice or suggestions because what you are suggesting here just isn’t accurate or correct.

The “scraps” as you are calling them are new and are the strips that are cut from full cores to make different sizes and then glued together to make the mattress core. While I can understand that not everyone may wish to purchase it … there certainly wouldn’t be a durability issue with this mattress and to suggest that a latex mattress will only last for 4 years makes absolutely no sense at all.

Phoenix

Appreciate the input. I’m in healthcare myself and realize the importance of firm support for children. I wish we had the money to invest in more but don’t have the means right now. We weren’t expecting to have to buy a new mattress but have to and would like to get the best we can afford. Phoenix steered us in a great direction a couple years back when we were buying our king. I’m particularly picky when making a large purchase and I couldn’t be more pleased. I’ve checked out the links in past posts. The second link referenced above didn’t work for some reason. I’m thinking we will go with Arizona Premium again and if my son needs more depth and firmness in the next few years I will add a topper…or pass this mattress onto my younger son and upgrade. Appreciate the tips.

I just checked out the Berkeley Ergonomics and it was $700 for their natural latex. :-/

Hi Lnr103,

Did you mean one of the links in one of my replies? If you let me know which one I can fix it.

I think that would certainly be a good strategy.

[quote][quote]The $560 divided by 10 years is $56 per year. An affordable “investment” and surely worth it to provide physical support and spine health. A Healthy Toddler starts at $385 and it’s ALL NEW construction, not waste products.

Check your son’s growth chart and determine his size and weight when he’s 8, 9, 1o.[/quote]

I just checked out the Berkeley Ergonomics and it was $700 for their natural latex. :-/ [/quote]

I think that the Healthy Kids mattress that PapaMike was referring to is probably this one (it has a pocket coil with 1" of latex and a wool quilted cotton cover) and the Healthy Toddler mattress is probably this one (which has a pocket coil and a wool quilted cotton cover).

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix

Yeah, for some reason I was getting an error yesterday when clicking on one of your links but I just checked now and all are working fine. It was the one regarding safe material options for children.

Thank you for the link to the mattress Papamike suggested. I really love a full latex mattress. I’m not sure Ill ever go back to coil. I don’t think the 1 inch will do it for us.

Hi Lnr103,

Thanks for letting me know that the link is working. I was clicking links to try and find the one that wasn’t working and I couldn’t find it :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you decide to pull the trigger (although it sounds like you are already close to making your decision).

Phoenix