Safe twin mattress for 2 year old

Hello,

Deciding between Sleep EZ and Brooklyn Bedding for a twin mattress for my two year old. Want a healthy mattress without spending a bundle. Deciding between the Roma and the Cotton Camilla but open to spending $200 more for the Naturale if 100% better.

Sleep EZ Roma
https://www.sleepez.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/287/osCsid/05pcq13444a0b41gi7akgmji66

1.5 inches of certified flex foam on each side (it’s flippable with 2 firmness levels) and 6 inches of Natural Dunlop Latex.

Brooklyn Bedding
10 inch Cotton Camilla
http://www.brooklynbedding.com/mattresses/10-inch-cotton

6 inches of Certified Foam & 3 inches of synthetic latex and a cover

or for $200 more

Sleep EZ - Naturale
https://www.sleepez.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/301/osCsid/8likqlbm9jara1ib6j5ccvjoq6

• All Natural Dunlop latex. no foam at all but $200 more

Thanks in advance,
Katie

Hi katie.weisberg,

It may be worth considering a twin XL rather than a twin because the extra length may be helpful as your child grows older and bigger or if you ever use the mattress as a guest bed.

I’m not sure how you would define “healthy” but post #2 here and the more detailed posts and information it links to have more information about safe, natural, organic, “chemical free”, and “green” mattresses and mattress materials that can help you sort through some of the marketing information and terminology that you will encounter in the industry and can help you differentiate between them and answer “how safe is safe enough for me” so you can decide on the types of materials you are most comfortable with having in your child’s mattress. These types of issues are complex and are generally specific to each person and their individual sensitivities, circumstances, criteria, and lifestyle choices.

Once you have decided on which materials you are comfortable with having in your mattress then choosing a mattress that only contains those types of materials will be much simpler.

Post #2 here also includes links to the better forum posts and topics about mattresses and children that include more information and guidelines about buying a mattress for a child.

This is a “mostly latex” mattress (outside of the quilting materials in the cover) and as you mentioned has the advantage of being able to choose between two firmness levels so you could use the firmer side when they are younger and then switch to the softer side when they get older and start to develop more if they need some additional softness.

This is a latex/polyfoam hybrid that uses a polyfoam support core and a latex comfort layer. It has the option of being able to choose the firmness level of the latex comfort layer and to exchange the latex for a different firmness level if you need to but this wouldn’t be particularly important for a child. It is also very similar to the Ultimate Dreams Latex Hybrid here which is made by Dreamfoam (Brooklyn Bedding’s sister company) but doesn’t have the exchangeable layer and is a lower price which may also be worth considering.

There is more about a latex hybrid vs an all latex (or mostly latex) mattress in post #2 here.

As you mentioned this doesn’t contain any polyfoam at all and uses a wool quilted cover both as the fire barrier and also to help regulate temperature (wool is a great temperature regulator) but the wool is a more costly material than the polyfoam in the other mattresses you are considering. It also has the same benefit of having a softer and a firmer side like the Roma and is also a more “natural” option if that is an important part of your personal value equation.

Once you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any weak links or lower quality materials in their design and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your material preferences, your conversations with each of them, the prices, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you so much, Phoenix. You have a wealth of knowledge. I’ve looked over a lot of links. I’ll consider the Twin XL too. It’s overwhelming the process of buying a mattress.

I guess what I meant by healthy was that it’s safe for children - the least amount of chemicals and off-gassing (VOCs) as possible. It seems like any of the mattresses I listed above are better than the conventional mattresses from the big box stores, correct?

If you wanted to spend around $500 on a twin mattress for a 2 year old what would you go with either from my list or do you have a specific one from another website? I’m from upstate NY and haven’t found a store in person except one that had $2500 mattresses! I’d definitely like to avoid memory foam and have the least amount of certified poly-foam as possible. Natural Dunlop Latex is appealing but understand it costs more than the synthetic latex. .

Is Sleep Ez a great brand? On Amazon I read a few reviews that people received mattresses without labels on it. Do they offer a discount if I mention your site?

Any other twin mattress around $500 that can help me feel better knowing my son is breathing in better materials?

Thanks
Katie

Hi katie.weisburg,

While all of the mattresses you are considering would probably be better quality/value for most people’s criteria than most of the mattresses you could find at chain stores or big box stores … the only way to decide if any of them would be “better” in terms of safety would be based on knowing the type of materials in both of the specific mattresses you are comparing and the “safety” certifications for each of the materials.

In very general terms … the odds of being sensitive to latex are less than polyfoam which in turn is less than memory foam (which I would avoid for children anyway) but these types of very general comparisons are only very generic and don’t apply to any specific mattress.

My own criteria may be very different from yours and I don’t make specific recommendations for either a mattress or a manufacturer so I can only help with “how” to choose based on the criteria that are most important to you regardless of whether the same criteria would have the same priority for me or someone else. In very general terms I would tend to lean towards mattresses that used latex, natural fibers, and innersprings all of which are very “safe” materials and if I needed to use other materials to reduce my budget I would consider polyfoam as well but would make sure that any polyfoam was either made in North America and/or was CertiPUR certified.

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) a mattress is only as good as the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer. Having said that … SleepEZ is one of the invited members here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Like all the members here they offer a discount (or in some cases a bonus) to the forum members here for most of their mattresses (unless they are already a special price where their margins and special pricing don’t allow for any further discounting).

Some of the better options I’m aware of that are in lower budget ranges are listed in post #4 here and in posts #3 and #4 here but I don’t know all the prices off the top of my head so you would need to check the individual websites to make sure that they are in your budget range and make sure that the materials in each of them fit your “safety” criteria.

I’m not sure where you are in upstate NY but if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

Thank you again! Really appreciate it. I’m just waiting to hear back from Sleep Ez to see if the 1.5 inches of polyfoam in the cover on both sides is a certified foam. Any weak components in the Roma that you know about?

And I’m about 15 mins from Niagara Falls, NY

Hi katieweisberg,

The polyfoam they use is made in the US and all the major US foam producers are CertiPUR certified so there wouldn’t be any issues with the safety of the polyfoam they use.

You can see the guidelines I use to assess whether there are any weak links in a mattress in post #4 here but the “short version” though is that there are no weak links in the design or materials of the Roma and it would certainly make a good quality/value choice.

The better options or possibilities in the region in and around Buffalo, NY (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #29 here.

Phoenix

FYI: I purchased a Simmons Beautyrest which is supposedly “Certipur-US” certified. That thing gave off a horrible toxic smell. Like mold and cat urine.

After the 3rd night, I couldn’t take it anymore. The side-effects I got from the Beautyrest was far worst than what I got from Saatva.

And isn’t Certipur sponsored by the one of the Top-3 Gross Polluters?

DOW brags about being a Platinum Sponsor of Certipur

DOW top 3 Gross Polluter

Hi incognito,

You’re right that the CertiPUR certification doesn’t mean that a mattress won’t have a smell when it’s new (although this will vary greatly from mattress to mattress or based on each person’s sensitivity to different smells) or that some people won’t be sensitive to the materials in a particular mattress. It’s also not a “green” certification.

It’s basically just a step in the right direction in terms of safety that gives some assurance that a mattress has been tested for harmful substances and VOC’s so that you can have some confidence that what you are smelling doesn’t contain the type or amounts of VOC’s or other substances that are known to be harmful based on the testing criteria and limits that they are using.

Phoenix