Safe twin mattress for 2 year old

Hi katie.weisburg,

While all of the mattresses you are considering would probably be better quality/value for most people’s criteria than most of the mattresses you could find at chain stores or big box stores … the only way to decide if any of them would be “better” in terms of safety would be based on knowing the type of materials in both of the specific mattresses you are comparing and the “safety” certifications for each of the materials.

In very general terms … the odds of being sensitive to latex are less than polyfoam which in turn is less than memory foam (which I would avoid for children anyway) but these types of very general comparisons are only very generic and don’t apply to any specific mattress.

My own criteria may be very different from yours and I don’t make specific recommendations for either a mattress or a manufacturer so I can only help with “how” to choose based on the criteria that are most important to you regardless of whether the same criteria would have the same priority for me or someone else. In very general terms I would tend to lean towards mattresses that used latex, natural fibers, and innersprings all of which are very “safe” materials and if I needed to use other materials to reduce my budget I would consider polyfoam as well but would make sure that any polyfoam was either made in North America and/or was CertiPUR certified.

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) a mattress is only as good as the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer. Having said that … SleepEZ is one of the invited members here which means that I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Like all the members here they offer a discount (or in some cases a bonus) to the forum members here for most of their mattresses (unless they are already a special price where their margins and special pricing don’t allow for any further discounting).

Some of the better options I’m aware of that are in lower budget ranges are listed in post #4 here and in posts #3 and #4 here but I don’t know all the prices off the top of my head so you would need to check the individual websites to make sure that they are in your budget range and make sure that the materials in each of them fit your “safety” criteria.

I’m not sure where you are in upstate NY but if you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix