Safety of Latex Mattresses when Bed Sharing with Baby

Hi there!

I’m new here - you have an incredible site and I have learned so much in the last few days! My husband and I currently have a Tempurpedic that has been causing lots of back and shoulder pain for us recently (I’m thinking it is reaching the end of it’s lifespan). We have a toddler who bed shares with us right now in our king sized bed and at some point I am sure we will have a baby who will also bed share with us for a set period of time. After doing some research and realizing how many chemicals go into the memory foam mattresses we have decided to go the latex route. We are really hoping to purchase an organic latex mattress from Cozy Pure (they seem like an amazing company with amazing products) and are thinking about getting the 3" medium-soft topper to go on the 6" latex foam base. Do you happen to know if the topper will be too soft and potentially dangerous for an infant? We are also going to purchase the infant/toddler crib mattress from them but I am sure our baby will end up in the bed with us on more than one occasion and I want to make sure it is safe for them first. I was thinking that if the topper is too soft maybe we could just take it off while the infant is young but I wanted to see what your thoughts are and if you have any experience with this.

Thank you so much in advance and thank you for this site! Once again, it’s wonderful and I have already told all of my Facebook friends about it! :slight_smile:

~ Sarah

Hi edgerlys,

I certainly agree with your thoughts about CozyPure :slight_smile:

I don’t think that medium soft Dunlop latex would in any way be inherently dangerous or risky for occasional use for an infant. I wouldn’t use it on a regular basis (infants tend to do best on a firmer mattress) but parents need good quality sleep as well … so for occasional use I don’t think there would be any issue outside of the normal cautions that go with co-sleeping or more specifically bedsharing in general.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Our toddler right now sleeps with us every night (despite our efforts to move her into her crib). If we bought the Dunlop core with the topper do you think that would be bad for her back?

One more question (sorry!) - I’ve been looking at the Arizona Premium Mattress Co over the past few hours. Do you know how they compare with Cozy Pure? I know both are recommended by your site and they both seem like extremely solid companies. The Arizona Co though has an organic latex mattress for almost $1,000 less. Do you know if there are major differences between the quality of their products? Thanks again!

Hi edgerlys,

I don’t know the specific firmness of their Dunlop topper and they would be more familiar with it than I am so I would ask them for their thoughts about this based on their extensive experience with their own materials and mattresses. I can tell you that Dunlop latex is more supportive than other materials (it gets firmer faster as you compress it more than other types of latex) so it would be “less risky” to use for children in slightly softer versions than other types of latex or other foam materials. The most common suggestions for infants are “a firm surface” and for toddlers is “on the firmer side” but I don’t think that there is any definitive answer or specific consensus that includes every specific or every factor that is involved in “healthy sleep” for children.

I would personally be OK with medium/soft Dunlop if that’s what they are used to (assuming its in the range of mid 20’s ILD or so) because it’s already firmer and more “supportive” than most other “soft” materials but beyond this it’s really a matter of “best judgement”.

In terms of the quality or design of the mattress itself … it would depend on the specifics of the mattresses you are comparing, on the types of latex they used in each and your preferences, and on the design and all the components of the mattress including the cover and quilting. Both use high quality materials but they each have different options, designs, and benefits. You can read a little more about the different types of latex in post #6 here.

Other than the specifics of the mattress itself and assuming you are making “apples to apples” comparisons between them as closely as possible (similar designs and similar materials in each mattress you are comparing) … the choice between them would really depend on your personal value equation and all the parts of a mattress purchase (including all the other benefits, costs, or options that go with each one) that were most important to you.

They are both experienced, knowledgeable, and high quality manufacturers and would both make very good choices (I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from either of them) but once you have narrowed down your options to a final choice at each manufacturer you are considering (step 4 in the tutorial post) and are down to final choices between “good and good” then which one would make the best choice for you would depend on all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are most important to you. In some cases it may boil down to a very small detail or just which one you feel most comfortable dealing with if there is really no obvious winner between them or any “mistakes” based on your criteria.

Phoenix