Sanity check - prices for all latex / foam+latex mattresses

Hi. I’ve been shopping for a mattress and have found this site very helpful in understanding what I’m purchasing. Unfortunately, I am not good at negotiating a good price, so I’d like to see if the prices that I’m being quoted from two manufacturers are good. Since I don’t know if the manufacturers want me mentioning the prices that I have, I’ll be leaving their names off. (You might be able to guess who they are.)

Please note that I will be asking both manufacturers for detailed specifications on their mattresses, and I’m currently confident that I will receive them. (I’m rejecting anyone who can’t answer the questions I’ll be asking.)

The first manufacturer unfortunately does not have a dealer in my area, but I’ve been quoted $1500, mattress only, for a queen-size 10-inch mattress of Celsion latex / high-density memory foam / polyfoam. Densities and ILDs of the materials are provided on their website. My main issue is that I would rather not drive 150 miles to test the mattress, but it may be worth it if the manufacturer continues as he has begun.

The second manufacturer has given what appears to be an amazing deal - just under $1100, mattress only, for a queen-size 8-inch all latex mattress. They use Latex International Talalay - I believe they said the mattress was fully Talalay, no Dunlop. (I’m assuming they use blended latex - if they used all-natural, I’m thinking they would have mentioned it.) The manufacturer is in town and I’ve tested some of their mattresses, and am currently confident that I can have one built with layering that I prefer. My main issue is that they sell box springs as a foundation, but I have yet to ask them about this - they may have a solution. If not, I will probably buy their mattress alone and a knockdown foundation elsewhere.

Given the prices that I have seen to date, I’m currently planning on purchasing from one of the two manufacturers. With the first, I would attempt to haggle but not force the issue, and with the second, I would simply accept their quoted prices. Is this wise?

Hi wgoodes,

There is more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

I don’t know all the specifics of each of the mattresses you are considering (see this article) but a mattress is much more than just a commodity that can be evaluated based on just the cost per inch of foam or the price per yard or pound of fabrics or fibers used in the cover (which can also be a significant part of the cost of a mattress). You also haven’t mentioned anything about which one is a better match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or the exchange or return policies for each of them or any of the other factors that can be an important part of each person’s personal value equation.

Assuming that the second mattress you mentioned has 8" of blended Talalay latex and no other materials (outside of the cover) then it certainly seems to be in a “good value range” based on the materials. You could check the law tag to make sure that it’s latex from top to bottom. The first mattress also seems to be in a fair value range but you haven’t really provided enough information to make any meaningful comparisons with other similar mattresses. You may also find that neither of them may be willing to “bargain” because they may both already be better quality/value choices than most of their “competition”. Assuming that you find out all the specifics that you need with each one to make an informed decision based on all the criteria that are important to you and your own personal preferences for different materials then post #2 here may be helpful if you are down to final choices if there are no clear winners between them.

Phoenix

Thank you for your response.

Please understand that I am only in the early stages of purchasing - in fact, just past the first step of finding out what is available in my area, visiting showrooms and manufacturers, and talking to people - and have been evaluating mattresses by your guidelines. Not to be glib, but it is easy so long as you devote time to it, and I am. Unfortunately, I find price to be another matter entirely, which is why I’m trying to focus on it within this post.

For what it’s worth, the second manufacturer is on your membership list, and the price ‘quote’ is simply list price minus the membership discount from this forum, which they have said they will honor. I’m not inclined to bargain with them, and if I was, I don’t know how I would approach it. (I’m not inclined to bargain at all, and the fact that they appear to offer a ‘no-haggle’ price is another attraction.) I simply don’t mention their name because I think that’s unfair to other manufacturers, who are offering actual quotes.

Hi wgoodes,

It sounds to me like you are taking the best possible approach to buying a mattress and are doing some great research :slight_smile:

Price alone is always an important part of the “value” of any mattress purchase of course but it also secondary to the suitability of the mattress and the type and quality/durability of the materials and components in a mattress.

The most effective way to assess the “value” of a mattress purchase is to compare each mattress to other similar mattresses that are available to you or that you are willing to consider so that you don’t get “faked out” by prices alone and also take into account all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you that may either be hidden in the price (such as return or exchange options or delivery) or that are a more subjective part of the “value” of a mattress purchase (such as your material preferences, how you feel about a local vs an online purchase, or your confidence that a mattress will be a suitable match for you) that need to be factored in to “value” as well.

In other words the price of a mattress is just one of many components of the “value” of a mattress purchase and “value” can’t be measured by a formula based on the cost of the materials inside the mattress alone.

Phoenix