Sanity Check

RandRDinosaur,

Just to clarify … I don’t have a minimum suggestion for coil wire gauge. I would avoid using coil count or wire gauge as a way to determine the quality, durability, or value of a mattress because an innerspring isn’t normally the weakest link in a mattress and the number of coils is only one of many factors that determines how a particular innerspring will feel and perform inside a specific mattress design and can be more misleading than helpful. There is more about the different types of innersprings in this article and in post #10 here.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

• Total depth - 15"
    1. Performance fabric(?) quilted to 1.5" soft foam: The quilting foam is generally a lower density material but as long as it’s not more than “about an inch or so” then it wouldn’t compromise the durability or useful life of a mattress as long as there aren’t any other lower quality/density materials in the top layers of the mattress.

2. Gel Lumbar Support - Added layer strategically positioned in lumbar area. This is generally a layer of foam that covers the center third of the mattress that is meant to provide additiional support under the heavier parts of the body (the hips, pelvis, and lower back). I would generally want to know the type and density of this material but it’s also unlikely to be a weak link that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress.

3. 1" Latex Layer: They don’t mention the type or blend of the latex which I would want to know to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses but any type or blend of latex would be a durable material relative to other types of foam so this wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress either.

4. 1" 4 lb Gel Infused Memory Foam: This would be a good quality material relative to most weight ranges but if you are in a higher weight range (more than the lower 200’s or so) generally reduce or minimize the use of 4 lb memory foam and look for 5 lbs or higher. While by itself it wouldn’t be an issue because it’s only an inch … in combination with the 1.5" quilting layer this could be a weak link in the mattress.

5. 2.4" Micro Coils - Individually wrapped 17.5 ga: Microcoils are a good quality and durable component and wouldn’t be a weak link in a mattress. There is more about microcoils that are used in comfort layers in this article and in post #8 here and post #2 here.

6. 1" Firm Foam - 1.5 lb density support layer.: This is a little bit deeper in the mattress (there are about 6" of foam materials or microcoils above it) so because of this and it’s firmness it wouldn’t compress as much or break down as fast as the same layer that was closer to the sleeping surface but it’s still a lower density than I would normally like to see in a mattress … especially in your weight range where I would generally suggest polyfoam layers that are in the 2.0 lb range or higher.

7. 6" Individually Wrapped & Zoned Coil System - Lumbar area is 15 ga compared to 15.5 ga for head & foot.: This also wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress.

8. 3" x 6" 1.5 lb density foam encasement around coils There is more about edge support in spring mattresses in post #2 here. The 1.5 lb polyfoam foam encasement is also a lower density than I would normally suggest but this would play a bigger role for those who regularly sleep with more of their weight concentrated on the outside edges of their mattress or who use the edge for sitting on a regular basis. Using 1.8 lb polyfoam or 2.0 lb polyfoam for higher weights would improve the durability of the edge support here as well.

9. 2" densified fiber support pad (not sure what this brings to the party other than height): This is a stabilization layer that is usually used under an innerspring to give the springs a solid and stable layer underneath them and to make sure that the springs have a solid support surface in between the innerspring and the foundation you are using so that the springs don’t sag into any gaps in the foundation. This also wouldn’t be a weak link in the mattress.

With the Newport the layering combinations would probably be very slightly less durable because the 4 lb memory foam is less durable than latex and would be closer to the sleeping surface and more subject to compression.

Overall there are a few question marks here that by themselves aren’t “too bad” but taken together in combination with your weight range could be a weak link in the mattress. While they are probably better quality and more durable materials and components than most of the major manufacturers … I would be somewhat cautious here.

Again … I wouldn’t pay attention to coil count or the wire gauge because if the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP then the innerspring inside it will generally be fine as well.

Phoenix