Sapira

Dear Phoenix - do you have any information/feedback on Sapira mattress and whether it is a solid choice? sapirasleep.com - This website is for sale! - sapirasleep Resources and Information.

Also - on another note, do you know anywhere other than Sleeplikeabear that one can buy Celsion toppers?

Hi AT,

I’m not completely familiar with this mattress, but it is from Leesa. The mattress includes 1.5" of 3.75 lb high performance “latex like” polyfoam over 1.5" of 4 lb memory foam over a pocket spring innerspring unit that has 1" of 2 lb. poly foam on top and on the bottom of the innerspring unit. The innerspring unit appears to be (form the photos on the web site) a version of the Quantum Edge from Leggett and Platt. This mattress appears to use high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links so if it is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) then it would certainly be a good quality/value choice and would be well worth considering.

KTT enterprises may not carry it in stock but should be able to order it for you if they don’t and some of the others listed in post #4 here may also be able to order it as a special order. Rejuvenite is the tradename for manufactured toppers and pillows from Latex International (now Talalay Global) that contained the Celsion technology. There is more about Talalay Active Fusion (aka Celsion) in post #4 here. The Pure Latex Bliss toppers used the Active Fusion (Celsion) in their covers and their latex, but I’m not sure if they are using it in the foam in their new Pure Talalay Bliss topper line. They don’t currently list it being used on their web site in their toppers, and I know they are not using it in their new covers. The Active Fusion is a paraffin wax phase change material.

Phoenix

Thanks for the feedback. I felt the celsion as part of an Aireloom display, and it was really nice feeling, slightly different than normal Talalay. Aireloom bed was 3k and for maybe 1/2 - 1 inch of latex, seems crazy. Thinking of trying the Sapira and adding a Talalay topper. The Sapira is returnable, and a topper would be valuable regardless of whether it worked in that configuration.

Hi AT,

It’s unlikely that you will be able to find out the type and quality of all the layers and components in an Aireloom mattress at any retailer that carries them (see this article) which means that it generally isn’t worth the time to even consider them (see this article) and I would avoid them (along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of what’s inside them).

The Sapira does have a 100-night trial, which should be enough time for you to see if you enjoy the product or not. I normally don’t recommend purchasing an online product with the intent to add a topper immediately, but I understand that you do enjoy the feeling of that style of latex topper and that you’ll probably be using it on another mattress down the road should you end up returning the Sapira.

I’m interested to learn what you decide to do.

Phoenix

Hi AT,

It’s unlikely that you will be able to find out the type and quality of all the layers and components in an Aireloom mattress at any retailer that carries them (see this article) which means that it generally isn’t worth the time to even consider them (see this article) and I would avoid them (along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the specifics of what’s inside them).

The Sapira does have a 100-night trial, which should be enough time for you to see if you enjoy the product or not. I normally don’t recommend purchasing an online product with the intent to add a topper immediately, but I understand that you do enjoy the feeling of that style of latex topper and that you’ll probably be using it on another mattress down the road should you end up returning the Sapira.

I’m interested to learn what you decide to do.

Phoenix

Hello,

I recently purchased a King-sized Sapira from Leesa. My wife and I have been sleeping on it for two weeks now and it has been an up and down experience. Some positives but a lot of negatives as well.

I’m 6" tall and about 235 lbs… I am a mix of back and side sleeper.

I’ve been dealing with lower back issues for the last ten years or so mainly related to a herniated disk. My SI joints have also been a problem spot over the years.

The disc issue (near the very base of my spine) is the kind where, when it goes out, I’m incapacitated for two to three days… it happens two to thee times per year. The rest of the time I’m dealing with the SI joint stuff… aching and tightness.

Our last mattress was an old-school spring mattress with a thick, soft and unsupportive latex topper that We would kind of sink in to. The old mattress did nothing to help with my lower back issues and, I believe, had a negative impact and made my flare-ups worse.

A high-level summary of my thoughts on Sapira so far is that I’ve found the Sapira provides the lower back pressure relief I was looking for, but does not provide sufficient sink/ relief for my shoulders and upper back. If I had to sum it up in a few words, I’d say the mattress is too firm both subjectively and from a pressure relief standpoint.

Helping my back issues is my main priority, but all things being equal, I would prefer something a little plusher to sleep on… the Sapira isn’t something I look forward to lying on at night.

Below are some notes about my experience with Sapira in various sleeping positions.

Side Sleeping:

Lower back support is solid when sleeping on my side side. My hips sink in nicely when on my side. I’ve noticed no major stiffness in my lower back after a night of side sleeping.

My shoulders, neck and upper back in general, are a different story.

When lying/sleeping on my side, I find the Sapira doesn’t provide enough pressure relief for my shoulders. They don’t sink into the mattress as much as my lower back does and I wake up with tightness/aching in my shoulders. Neck ache is less of an issue than when sleeping on my back, but is still higher than my last mattress.

Back Sleeping:

Pressure relief and sink for my lower back is excellent when sleeping on my back. I noticed immediate improvement in the mornings after a night of back sleeping as far as stiffness/aching in my lower back goes.

The downside is that I experience significant issues with my neck and upper spine when sleeping on my back on Sapira. My shoulder blades don’t completely sink in and both my neck and shoulders are sore and ache when I wake up.

I have trouble getting comfortable on my pillow when going to sleep at night… I’ve alternated between a variety of different pillows so far, with varying firmness and thickness, and nothing seems to work.

I slept on my back last night and woke up with neck pain and a terrible headache.

Stomach Sleeping - I cant fall asleep in this position, but it’s worth noting that I find lying on my stomach on the Sapira to be incredibly supportive and comfortable.

Finally, I’ve noticed that the Sapira sleeps a bit warmer than my previous mattress… not a massive issue, but I wouldn’t want a mattress that sleeps too much warmer.

Some logistical barriers I should mention… we live in a 120-year-old house that has a very narrow stairway to the upstairs… we put off buying a new mattress (and upgrading to a king) for many years because it’s essentially impossible to get a traditional spring queen or King mattress up the stairs.

The bed-in-a-box idea seemed like the perfect solution and, indeed, getting the Sapira upstairs was a breeze.

My preference would be to keep the Sapira… my wife loves it… especially the isolation aspect… I used to wake her up all the time in our old mattress as I tend to toss and turn at night.

That said, my wife has zero issues with back pain and has transitioned from one mattress to another over the years and has liked them all… she basically doesn’t care if we change or not.

Would adding a pillow topper - say, from Sleep on Latex - help? My thoughts are that adding one would provide some additional pressure relief for my upper back and shoulders, allowing me to sink in to the mattress a little better? But would compensating for my shoulders create any issues with my lower back?

If a topper isn’t a viable/logical solution, the alternatives I’m considering - mattresses that purport to allow you to sink in a little more - are as follows:

Sleep on Latex - Pure Green medium firm. My understanding is the quality is good, but the downside is I’m in Canada and their return policy is more restrictive that the major online retailers. Bonus points though for sleeping cooler than the others below.

Leesa - their regular mattress, which is supposedly more soft.

The Casper - a lot of reviews comment on how the mattress lets you sink in a bit more than others.

Saatva Flagship Luxury firm Eurosport - said to be good for larger side-sleepers.

Dormio - one of your members, which has a location close to me, but it seems their beds run up to $4-5,000, which is about 2X what we can afford to spend. The cost of the King-sized Sapira was at the top end of our budget. They also don’t allow returns, but will instead make adjustments for you, but only within the model range of the bed you’ve chosen.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Hi canadiansleeper.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am sorry to hear about your painful pre=existing conditions and that your back and shoulders hurt when sleeping in different positions on your current mattress.

There will be a break in an adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of its “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (see post #3 here ). This would typically be a few weeks but it can be shorter or longer depending on the specifics of the person and the mattress. I would definitely encourage you to take more time adjusting to the new mattress, and hopefully, as time moves on you’ll lose more of your previous “learned alignment” and the mattress will also lose more of its “false firmness”. If you, unfortunately, find that this product doesn’t meet your comfort needs, you did make a good choice of selecting a product that does have an available return policy.

Especially as you are coming from an unsupportive mattress the first thing I would suggest is to give your body a little more time to adjust to the new sleeping surface and for you to better monitor if the “symptoms” in each sleeping position gradually increase or diminish. It seems to me that you are well in touch with your body so you’ll be able to clearly tell,

While the diminishing of your lower back pains and aches in both of sleeping positions indicates that the mattress offers good deep support It sounds to me like the issue you are facing is more the lack of pressure relief on a firm sleeping surface in which case I’d suggest

1. First, to allow for the break in to follow its course … if the aches, tightness and upper body and neck pains still persist….
  2. Consider fine-tuning of your sleeping surface by adding a topper which would result in a mattress that has softer and/or thicker comfort layers with a progressive construction suitable for your higher BMI range. The latex topper that you are considering will mitigate both your pressure point and sleeping “warmer” issues.
  3. The two options above will give you enough data to inform your next step and decide if you need to replace your current mattress.

I agree that the first priority is to make sure that your spine is neutral alignment… what you would be looking for is that the mattress has firm enough deep support and then comfort layers that are “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness to “fill in” and support the more recessed parts of your sleeping profile and relieve pressure in your most pressure prone sleeping position (side sleeping from your description) so that there is less risk to alignment when you switch to your other sleeping positions.

I would caution against considering Leesa or Caper mattresses especially at your higher BMI because of the lower density upper layer foams used in this mattress would compromise its durability and useful life. You can see the full set of specs here and the caution for higher weight ranges. There is more information about Saatva and many of the other “simplified choice” mattresses in post #2 here and the first post in the same topic would be worth reading as well. A forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will also bring up many more comments and feedback about them as well.

While Saatva would be a better quality/value choice compared to many of the mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers (which are a very low bar to use for a comparison and which I would avoid completely) … some of the materials they are using are also lower quality and less durable than the durability guidelines or that I would be comfortable with and for most people they wouldn’t be in the same “quality/value” range as many of the other options that use higher quality and more durable materials and foam layers that most of the members here would know about as a result of the information on this site. I would be especially cautious about making a Saatva purchase based on their reviews or based on some of “marketing exaggerations” on their site.

Buying a mattress based on “reviews” or the subjective perceptions of other people would be like buying clothes or shoes based on what other people like “on average” and when it comes to products where there are so many variables or subjective elements involved then the averages of any group is much too likely to be different in terms of “feel” or “fit” or preferences from the needs or preferences of any specific individual.

While Pure Green would be a good option I also understand your reserve in getting it across the border… two times…if the mattress does not turn out as well as you hoped for. This leaves you with Canada based retailers/manufacturers. Dormio, MFC (which also would have great choices in your budget range), and Restmore which are Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry.

I am not sure which of Dormio’s lineups you’ve considered but they have options that cover a whole spectrum of budget ranges. From my many discussions with them, I’ve seen their consumer-centric approach in action and I know that they take a great deal of time to understand the needs and preferences of each sleeper to make their recommendations and ensure that it is a good fit and to allow for any fine-tuning and adjustments as needed.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix,

I cannot thank you enough for your thorough and detailed response to my post.

I will take your advice and give the mattress some more time to settle in… my strong preference is to keep the Sapira and avoid the hassles of a return and new purchase.

Should the mattress continue to provide my upper back with problems, is there a particular thickness/density/type of mattress topper that you would suggest might compliment the design of the Sapira?

I’ve heard great things about Sleep on Latex toppers, but they have a variety of options and I’m not sure what makes the most sense. My instinct says 1-2" of their medium firm, but I would value your advice.

Regarding Dormio, I’m glad to hear that they offer a variety of price points. My impression was from a few reviews I read where the posters commented on the price they paid.

They have a retail store quite close to where I live, so they will be my next stop, should the situation with the Sapira fail to resolve itself.

MFC looks like a great option as well… they deliver to my area (near Toronto).

Many thanks for a the advice and fingers crossed that I’m able to arrive at a good night’s sleep soon :slight_smile:

Hi canadiansleeper.

You are welcome!.. Glad to be of assistance! :slight_smile:
Your instinct serves you well and I think you have a good plan in motion.

Depending on how much achenes or stiffens you experience at the end of your adjustment period you may choose 2" or even 1" It is a bit early to decide now how much firmess//plushness is needed as it all depends on how you’ll feel at the end of the period. If after this you need to add a bit more plushness, I’d make sure to rely on the advice of the manufacturer themselves as they know their products and the materials they work with much better than anyone else(including me) and will be able to make a more accurate assessment and recommendation based on the averages of consumers that are in similar situations with yours.

Hopefully, that extra step won’t be necessary…" fingers crossed"

Phoenix