Savvy ILDs?

Working on building our own mattress. Went to Savvy to get a reference point for what we like. They had 2 toppers for testing. Soft Talaly (a bit too soft) and soft Dunlop (a bit too firm). Anyone know what the ILDs for those two toppers are? The store rep didn’t know…

By the way, They were both over (1) Dunlop medium which was over (2) Dunlop firms… Store rep didn’t know the ILDs for those either.

Hi ejp,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Savvy Rest doesn’t generally provide ILDs of their latex, but there has been some information previously shared here on the forum.

The Dunlop in the Savvy Rest mattresses is from Coco-Latex and is 100% Natural. In the past, they’ve provided information that their soft Dunlop is in the ILD range of 22-30, the medium is in the ILD range 31-39, the firm is in the ILD range of 40+. Their Talalay is from Radium and is also 100% Natural. In the past, they’ve provided information that their soft Talalay is in the ILD range of (N5) 15-20, the medium is in the ILD range of (N7) 30-37, and the firm is in the ILD range of (N8) 37-44.

Phoenix

Thanks. My understanding is that ILD <19 in 100% natural Talaly can be prone to break down overtime (indents, etc.)? True?

Separately, we are 150 -160lb and 5’ 8" - 5’ 11". But when sleeping side by side we probably look like a big heavy person. How will the soft Talaly hold up over time?

Hi ejp,

I believe you’re referencing some information provided in this post. In general, softer latex will be less durable than firmer latex, especially when in the uppermost comfort layers (where ultra plush latex is usually placed), whether it is blended or natural Talalay. There can be a slight difference in durability in these very plush types of latex between blended and natural (the blended can be a bit more durable), but I would consider both types of materials to be high quality. It is true that there are some manufacturers who eschew 14-15 ILD Talalay, regardless of blend, and prefer 19 ILD, for overall durability concerns, relatively speaking.

There’s quite a bit more involved to foam durability than the ILD. I discuss this in more detail in this post.

Phoenix