Savvy Rest Mattress Review. "Bump" Update and Pics. And Questions!

Given how much Phoenix does for us, I thought I would come back and give an update on my mattress purchase. And of course have a question or two along the way.

After laying on a Savvy Rest mattress on a lark, I fell in love with it. I ultimately got the Savvy Rest Serenity mattress with the following specs (from bottom to top): Firm Dunlop / Medium Dunlop / Medium Talalay. I am a side sleeper, higher BMI, I hate “sinking” into a mattress and I sleep hot.

This replaced a 17 year old Serta. In short, it was a great choice and overall I’m very happy with it but it is not perfect and has come with a few small complaints….which is tougher than usual to “accept” when spending 3K on a mattress!

First the surprisingly good news – this mattress is the coolest I’ve ever slept on. In fact I got cold a couple of times during the night and didn’t think that was even possible anymore. (BTW - I always use 100% cotton mattress pad and sheets). From this alone, I can’t even consider polyfoam anymore. And my morning grumpy lower back issues vanished within a day or two – not to return again.

The first complaint came the morning after delivery. My middle and top layers are split latex. Meaning, had I needed to, I could have one side of the bed configured differently than the other in both firmness and types of latex. In my case, I didn’t need to and in retrospect, I wish I had just gotten solid layers all the way through.

There was a “bump” where the split was the following morning. It continued to get worse i.e. more noticeable (pics are attached). It didn’t feel uncomfortable but it was unsightly and for the money, I want a nice flat mattress visually, not an almost 1 inch tall ridge in the center of my bed.

I think most people asking about “feeling the split” worry about “falling” into a gap between the two pieces of latex. This was quite the opposite for me– sort of a tectonic plate like situation where one side was being pushed up by the other. I posted here and as always Phoenix gave great advise. I ended up taking apart the bed and put it all back together from scratch – waving each layer to perfection. Result? Mostly solved but the issue still remains. Not nearly as noticeable but still there most mornings. I guess it is just the way I sleep.

5 weeks later I’m now considering my 90 day layer exchange options with Savvy Rest. The split is annoying and I may do a layer exchange for that reason alone (get a solid layer instead of a split) but the other thing is my shoulders / upper back are just a bit grumpy now and I think that the mattress is just a tad too firm. I don’t think I sink in quite enough to get the pressure relief I need. So this is where my question for Phoenix comes in. Options I’m considering:

Option 1: Keep current set up and add a LaNoodles topper.

My concerns with this option are: Will I like the feel of a topper? Will my sheets fit or will the added bulk be an issue? (My sheets fit the mattress perfectly now with no topper. They are expensive, brand new, and I love them – replacing them is not an option until they fall apart) Will this provide the extra pressure relief I seek or not be enough? Is there anyway to tell before I spend another chunk of change?

Option 2: Exchange the Med Talalay for Soft Dunlop or Soft Talalay?

Concerns here are: Since I’m only wanting a small bit of additional softness, will this be too soft and I lose the support I need? I called Savvy Rest and was actually advised, soft Talalay. They said the support comes from the other two layers. Savvy didn’t think the soft Dunlop would be soft enough, even though I’m in the higher BMI range. The other slight concern is to get a solid layer of Talalay in a queen size, it is glued with a serum – they said the widest Talalay they offer is twin XL. I know that shouldn’t be a concern but then again, the split wasn’t supposed to be a concern either.

I do hope this helps anyone else with the same questions, looking around, or having the same issues (though I’ve not yet found anyone with the split issue I’ve been having) And as always, hoping Phoenix can provide his brilliant guidance on the options I’m now facing!

Hi photocat,

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the photos. It appears that where you sleep, specifically close to the center in your shoulder area, it is depressing the layers on that side (independent of the other side) and then when those layers “rebound” once your weight is removed they are “sticking” a bit to the layers on the undisturbed side (due the that “stickiness” of latex) instead of sliding smoothly next to each other. Some of this will dissipate over time.

I spoke with one of the site members, Jeff Scheuer (Mattress To Go), a Savvy Rest dealer, and asked him to look at your photos. He replied,

“I’ve never run across this comment before, but I am able reproduce this in my floor models with split latex with a decent concentrated force in that specific area. It’s a bit stickier on the newer floor models than the older ones. If I pull just slightly toward the outer edge of the mattress on the upper layer, the latex “releases”, or if I roll toward the outer edge I can get the same effect. I don’t feel the small difference in the height if I lie down directly upon that area.”

Just to double check, make sure that your pillow is a good height to promote a good neutral alignment to rule out this causing you issues in your shoulder area. A solid top layer should eliminate the center area issue that is annoying you.

[quote]Option 1: Keep current set up and add a LaNoodles topper.
My concerns with this option are: Will I like the feel of a topper? Will this provide the extra pressure relief I seek or not be enough? Is there anyway to tell before I spend another chunk of change?[/quote]

As you’re already aware, I can’t feel what you feel and all I can say is that it will make your mattress a bit softer. It wouldn’t be as “substantial” as an all-foam topper, but it isn’t designed to be such an item. Site member frazzledglispa’s experience might be useful to you here. I’m not sure if this topper is covered under CozyPure’s return policy, so I would phone them to be sure before considering placing an order. They are very knowledgeable about how this topper performs and can help manage your expectations should you decide to order one.

Yes, it will add thickness to your mattress and if your fitted sheets fit perfectly now this would be an issue for you.

They are correct that the deep support will be primarily from the bottom two layers in your Serenity mattress, and the extra plushness you’re desiring would be best served by manipulating the uppermost layer. I would trust the advice that Savvy Rest offers as they are very knowledgeable able different somatotypes and BMIs and how people respond to their various configurations. As I haven’t tested all of the Savvy Rest configurations in person, so I again ssked Jeff for his thoughts,

“There is a large difference between the Medium Talalay Savvy Rest uses and both the Soft Dunlop and Soft Talalay. When placed on a firm surface, the initial compression of both soft versions are more plush than the medium Talalay, with the soft Dunlop actually feeling just a bit more plush than the soft Talalay (normal for Dunlop). But upon deeper compression, the Dunlop firms up more faster and actually starts to approach the medium Talalay a bit, where the soft Talalay has a more consistent compression and feels quite substantial, but still plush.”

Anything over 40" in width for Savvy Rest in a Talalay will have a seam, off center. I’ve tried out different products with these seams and I’ve personally never beenable to feel them. It would be a way to avoid the layers sticking to each other in the center of the mattress that annoys you.

Phoenix

Many thanks to you and Jeff for the quick response! So glad I can be the first to report the split ridge (ha!). As always, you’ve given me a lot to consider. I may have to see if the 2 dealers around me have the soft dunlop and / or soft Talalay combination to try. Pretty sure the pillow is okay. It is adjustable and I added more to it when I got this mattress - but I’ll double check that again too. Maybe it needs another handful of stuffing.

Hi photocat,

You’re welcome. I’ll look forward to your next update.

Phoenix

Photocat:

You’re welcome! I had fun experimenting and pulling a few of the beds apart. I hope the information was helpful! FWIW, I sleep on a Talalay latex mattress with a seam and couldn’t being to tell you where it is, and I’m always the one who tests new beds for my store and my Beducation videos - apparently I’m the most sensitive one!

Jeff I can’t tell you how helpful you’ve been! I watched a bunch of the Beducation videos too before I went shopping - just never on an all latex bed because I didn’t consider one until I tried it :slight_smile: And thank you so much for testing my split issue in your store. I thought I was crazy for awhile but everything you and Phoenix diagnosed on that are right on the money.

I’m leaning more towards swapping the medium Talalay layer with the soft Talalay solid layer. My main fear with that is if it will be too soft (for me). Not sure the 2 dealers around here have the soft Talalay on top of med. dunlop combo. in their stores to try out. Will have to investigate that I guess!

Hey Photocat:

I’m glad you found the Beducation videos helpful. They’re not nearly as specific with information as what’s here on TMU, but I try to make them more general to assist people with shopping and also expose some of the retail “tricks”. And I’m always happy to do my best to help site members “diagnose” issues. :cheer:

I hope you have good luck trying out different configurations. I think the advice that Savvy Rest gave you was pretty good, but as Phoenix always says, “Nothing can replace your own personal testing.”

Have a good weekend!

Thought I would provide a quick update for Phoenix, Jeff, and any other lurkers who may find this thread helpful.

Savvy Rest allows a layer exchange within 90 days at no charge. If you go through them, the only charge is shipping (which ain’t cheap for big, heavy items like this) or free if you are close enough to bring in the old layer and pick up the new layer at their Charlottesville store. More on that later…

Ultimately I decided to get rid of my top layer which was the split layer medium Talalay (my particular bump issue!) and get a one-piece layer of soft Talalay. Both Savvy Rest and Jeff from Mattress to Go gave me enough information to make me feel like this was the right choice for me … and they were absolutely right!

I was a bit concerned the soft Talalay would be too soft as the medium wasn’t crazy firm to me. But I was pleasantly surprised. For me, the soft Talalay, medium Dunlop, firm Dunlop seems to be the perfect combination. I actually would have liked it to feel just a teeny, tiny bit softer but I suspect that will happen over time. Regardless, the pressure point issues have disappeared including the occasional arm falling asleep - all resolved and no back pain in the morning. For me, getting rid of the split layer was heavenly. In my opinion, I would only recommend getting a split layer if you have a King or you need different set up on each side of a queen. Especially true if you, like me, sleep with a body pillow (which pushes you more towards the center of the bed).

So I went back through the place I purchased the mattress (LaDiff) to initiate the layer exchange. While I live just over an hour away from Savvy Rest, that is a minimum 2 hour round trip and trying to wrangle the layers in my small car would not have been feasible really. LaDiff was nothing short of amazing. I paid their standard $95 delivery fee. They came by in the morning, picked up the medium layer. The delivery guys drove to Savvy Rest, did the exchange, and later that afternoon came back with the new layer and put my mattress back together. If anyone in the Central Virginia area is remotely considering a Savvy Rest, I couldn’t recommend LaDiff enough - the customer service has been amazing from start to finish and I got a much better deal with them.

So hopefully this concludes my mattress saga…and again, I cannot thank Phoenix and Jeff enough for their help! This site is truly unique and great source of information and community.

I’m glad you’re happy with your new configuration!
-Jeff

Hi photocat,

Thank you for your update. I’m happy that the softer upper layer of Talalay has helped with your issues and you’re sleeping better, and I’m glad you received good service in exchanging your layer.

I’m looking forward to any future updates you’re able to provide.

Phoenix

I, too, am trying out a SavvyRest Serenity with three latex layers. I’ve tried multiple configurations and have referred to this forum continually throughout the process.

The most comfortable configuration for me thus far has been Firm Dunlop on bottom, Soft Talalay in the middle, and Medium Dunlop on the top (F/S/M). I know that soft middle layer is a bit strange but it was more comfortable than F/M/M.

However, I’m still not sleeping through the night, and I wake up with some back stiffness. For reference, I’m just over 5’ 9" and about 145 lbs with an athletic build (female).

I contacted SavvyRest requesting a layer swap in Medium Talalay, which I’m going to try first on the top and then as the medium layer.

I also ordered an additional 2" Medium Talalay comfort layer to “float” above the mattress just under my sheets. I’m waiting for it to arrive.

It’s so difficult getting this right! So many possible combinations. And I learned two other critical things:

1. The mattress protector (mine was a Coyuchi cotton mattress pad) can interfere with the contouring performance of the latex. I had to take mine off, because it was contributing to the back pain. It’s very difficult finding a thin 100% cotton organic mattress protector that will allow the latex mattress to do its thing. I recently purchased on my Suite Sleep and am waiting for it to arrive.

2. Pillows make a significant difference! In addition to experimenting with all the permutations, I’ve tried latex, kapok, and wool pillows. Still haven’t nailed down what works best.

If anyone has some insight to share from their latex mattress experiences, I’d welcome advice.

Have you tried soft over firm over medium yet, or soft over firm over firm?

Thanks for this recommendation. I tried the Soft over Firm over Firm and was surprised to find that it was quite comfortable. Still didn’t feel right, but perhaps I didn’t stick with it long enough. I believe I tried the Soft over Firm over Medium–I need to start keeping an archive. But I may also try it again if you think it’s worth it.

I think it’d be worth it to try for at least a week to see how it goes.

I wanted to provide a (rather triumphant) update on my travails in getting the latex layers right on my Savvy Rest Serenity bed. I’ve been struggling with lower back pain for weeks since getting a new mattress, and like many on this forum, was beginning to despair.

Domenic at my local Savvy Rest store recommended that I try the following configuration (bottom to top): F/M/M (all Dunlop). He advised me to turn each layer to the denser side (larger holes facing up). I have to admit that going this firm was not intuitive to me. It felt more firm than I thought felt comfortable, but given that my top layers of Medium and Soft Talalay weren’t helping my back pain, I had nothing to lose in trying something dramatically different from my current configuration.

Last night was the first that I slept without back pain. I woke up a few times, but not with back pain. I am hopeful that this is a consistent pattern going forward.

While this layering may not be as enveloping as I want, it provides the right support and stability. I can add comfort elements later–like the LaNoodle topper that I’ve been coveting.

I also want to add that I slept with the LaNoodle pillow too last night, which also helped I think. A big shout out to Susan at CozyPure who not only helped with my order of the Lanoodle pillow but also encouraged me to prevail on SavvyRest for further direction.