Savvy Rest to SleepEZ conversion

Thank you for this amazing site! I’ve read all the tutorials and have definitely been saved from making an expensive mistake with one of the S companies! :slight_smile:

After a lot of testing we have decided on an all-latex mattress and love the value of SleepEZ. Since we live in the Midwest we confess we ‘showroomed’ SavvyRest and after many configuration tests decided on a split configuration: from bottom up firm dunlop/med dunlop/soft talalay for him, med dunlop/soft dunlop/soft talalay for me.

We’re almost ready to order but have two remaining questions - I’ve been a little shy about calling sleepEZ with them because I feel just a smidge bad about the showrooming part… so was hoping to maybe get insight here: presumably savvy rest’s talalay is 100% natural rather than blended talalay (since they are so into ‘organic’). Does that mean we should purchase all-natural Talalay from sleepEZ, to get the closest to what we comfort-tested? Or can we save a bit, and possibly get the little extra durability by ordering blended Talalay from SleepEZ? Secondly, do the ILD’s for the layers ‘match’ closely enough that we can truly use our SavvyRest preferences to order from SleepEZ in general?

This summer our current mattress will be 15 years old… can’t wait to replace it, and again, grateful for all the help here! :slight_smile: Thank you so much!

Hi countinsheep,

Savvy Rest doesn’t provide the exact ILD’s of their layers but they do provide the option of choosing either 100% natural Talalay or certified organic Dunlop in their mattress layers. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about the general differences between Dunlop and Talalay in post #7 here.

Your own careful testing and/or your actual personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP but when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include SleepEZ) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness, etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as the Savvy Rest combination that you tried) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Hi Countinsheep,
I was in the same position, wanting all latex and not knowing how to configure. I have spent several months researching and becoming very frustrated. My last mattress was an S brand and it was horrible-wore out in 3 or so years. I too went to the Savvy Rest store and absolutely fell in love with the mattress, but can’t afford! My research, with the help of this forum, led me to the Sleep EZ, that they were the best match to Savvy Rest. I had done my homework on latex processing and after talking to Shawn at Sleep EZ, I rest assured that the bed will be very similar. He is very very helpful and does not try to sell more than he thinks you need. My quandary was blended or natural, as well-I did go with natural, my choice, not Shawns! I purchased the foundation as well, but Shawn thought the foundation I had would work, but I wanted all new and to match! I ordered last Friday and my UPS tracking says I will be receiving on Wednesday, which is several days earlier than Shawn told me to expect. I am elated and can’t wait to get it. My queen is configured exactly the way you mentioned…my only concern is if the 2 soft layers will be too soft, even though one is Dunlop. It seemed great at the Savvy store, if so, I will return for another layer! I will let you know what I think after I have laid on for a few nights…so excited! (Not sure if I’m spelling Shawn’s name correctly). He was extremely helpful, which made me more comfortable about the buying online situation!!

Hi boo,

Thanks for your comments and for letting us know what you ended up choosing.

As you know you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You have the spelling right.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thanks to both of you! Can’t wait to hear your experience, boo.

We’re set on the dunlop/talalay decision and are now just stuck on, for our top layer which will be soft talalay, whether to order all-natural talalay or blended talalay. I would simply pick blended and be done (more durable and cheaper, why not?) but want to ‘match’ what we comfort-tested as closely as possible and the savvyrest website touts their all-natural talalay.

I may brave up a bit and call Shawn. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Hi countinsheep,
That was exactly my concern-blended or natural organic, as I wanted to emulate the same feel as SR. Shawn explained that since the Talalay natural had not been around as long as the blended, he could not tell me how long it would last in comparison, but that it would probably be very close and I would still get SEVERAL years out of. That’s why I decided to go with the closest to SR. I will be the only one sleeping on, but I decided to split, since the bed at SR was split and I couldn’t really decide which side I preferred while there. Went with:
ST ST
MD SD
FD FD
I have several combinations here that I can swap around, so decided this would be the smart way to go, and hopefully will not even have to swap any layers out with Shawn! He also explained that due to the Dunlop processing, no two Dunlop layers will be exactly the same, which also makes sense and gives me more to worry about…LOL
I bought the foundation as well, hoping I will have enough room (in my small room), to assemble! Sleeping on a blowup now and it"s on its last leg…need to figure out how to remove old foundation, assemble SleepEZ foundation and will report back in a few days. Would love to see UPS today as the tracking says it is in my city, but delivery is scheduled for tomorrow!! Can"t wait!!!
Thanks Phoenix for your help and will let you both know soon!
Have a great day, Boo

Why did you decide on buying at SleepEZ versus Savvy Rest? I’m planning on visiting my local Savvy Rest store today as I begin the process of looking for a new mattress. I’ve been reading this site for a while to increase my education about bedding and now I’m ready to actually start the process.

Hi LarryH,

Hopefully countinsheep and boo will see your post and share their comments but I would guess that the biggest single reason would probably be the significantly lower price for a very similar mattress.

There is more about how Savvy Rest compares to SleepEz in post #4 here and a forum search on Savvy Rest SleepEZ (you can just click the link) will bring up all the forum posts that mention both of them as well.

Phoenix

Hi Larry and Countinsheep,
I too had researched and researched for way too long. I needed a bed, but wanted quality. I had been researching latex for many many months, but had no idea the configuration that would suit me. I barely buy clothing online, not alone a purchase such as a bed. I came about a Savvy Rest storefront and had to try out. I fell in love with their beds, but could not afford. I had read and researched the differences in Savvy, SleepEz and many others. Thanks to Phoenix and this forum, I came to the conclusion that SleepEz would be the closest to what I fell in love with at the Savvy store, even though I only laid on the bed about 30 minutes. I felt guilty not purchasing from the Savvy Store, but just could not afford. I had researched whom both companies worked with on the processing of the Dunlop and Talalay (very similar, if not same), and decided not to make myself any crazier…called Shawn, he asked me questions on height, weight, pressure points, back problems, etc and I pulled the trigger and ordered the same configuration that I had tried out at SR. Shawn agreed on what I would more than likely be happy with. Even though I sleep alone, I split the sides of my queen. The reason for that was, that was what I laid on and couldn’t quite decide which I liked better. I was told it would take a little time, at least a week or so for my body to get used to. I’ve slept on my bed only 4 nights and am extremely happy with. I can’t decide which side I like better and not sure about the relaxing of the latex. I have no idea how “used” the bed at the SR was, which will also make a difference. I did go with the natural organic because that was my “test drive.” I feel like my bed is not exactly the same but pretty darn close and like I said, it’s only been 4 nights. I will say, I thought I wanted a “firm” bed, but I’m liking just the opposite…I do like the resiliency of the Talalay and firmness of Dunlop. I will be calling Shawn next week and asking a couple of questions. At the moment, I feel like the side that is absolutely heaven is (top), soft Talalay, soft Dunlop, Firm Dunlop. My question is, since it’s not blended (should wear longer), and 2 layers of soft Talalay, is it going to give out sooner than I expect. That is why I need to give more time before I start changing around layers and talk to Shawn. The other side (top) soft Talalay, med. Dunlop then firm Dunlop. I would like a little more bounce, but still firm…I’m thinking maybe ST, MT, FD…just an idea. Someone needs to confirm to me that Talalay will hold up and that I will not have sagging issues (sure like Talalay’s resiliency), that is my main question after only 4 nights. I might keep it split in the end…then I will have a choice on which side to sleep on!!! Sorry for the rambling, but hard to write for comprehension. I will check back in after I’ve given it a few more nights or if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!! I’m happy with my SleepEz purchase!! PS…I hated the pillows the first night, woke up with the stiffest neck, removed quite a lot of the latex and now I love them!!!

Hi Boo,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it … and it’s great to hear that your mattress is working out well for you :slight_smile:

You are the only one that can feel what you feel on your mattress or on different layering combinations so I’ll leave your choice of layering to your own personal experience and “best judgement” but I can certainly help with some of your questions about durability.

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #7 here and there is more about some of the differences between blended and 1005 natural Talalay in post #2 here.

In very general terms latex is the most durable of all the foam materials regardless of the type or blend and I would treat the choice between different types and blends of latex as a preference and budget choice more than a “better/worse” choice. I certainly would have any durability concerns with any type or blend of latex.

Having said that … A mattress will generally tend to soften and break down from the top layers down because ongoing foam compression and deflection is the primary reason that foam materials will tend to soften and break down over time. In an apples to apples comparison between the same types of foam … softer foam layers will compress more than firmer foam and layers that are closer to the top of the mattress will tend to compress more than layers that are deeper in the mattress so any softer foam layers or layers that are closer to the top of your mattress will generally be less durable than the same type of foam in firmer versions or that are deeper in the mattress.

Of course with a component mattress if one of the layers softens before the others and this results in the loss of comfort and support and you are no longer sleeping well on the mattress then you can just replace the individual layer instead of replacing the whole mattress.

In lower ILD’s (firmness levels) … softer 100% natural Talalay may also be a little less durable than blended Talalay but if your mattress is in a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t “on the edge” of being too soft for you (see post #2 here) then durability wouldn’t be a concern with any type or blend of latex.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here.

Phoenix