Scoliosis, twisted vertebrae looking for All natural latex bed, please! read on

I’ve been researching latex mattress qualities and the mattress market especially the online one for almost two weeks now. This forum and website is among the most impressive I’ve come across in that time.

Here’s the deal: I’m looking for a slight-custom job, and I know I want a king size all latex setup that will last probably 20+ years for $1300 all told. I’ve read elsewhere on the forums that some members may produce and ship exactly what I’m looking for, and boy do I ever need it! Anyone out there looking to help relieve my partner and I from overpriced bs mattresses? No organic stuff necessary…

The setup is this:

10" total foam:
Middle: 6" natural dunlop latex (medium-firm ILD 30-34
Outside foam layers: 2 x 2" talalay medium-soft ILD 24-28

This way I can flip the whole thing every couple month and breathe many sighs of money-saving relief

A light mattress ticking (not too thick, I prefer cool feeling) with wool or at least polyfill which I understand is suitable for wicking, with a knit-cotton top layer. I want the ticking to fit well on the 10" foam, tight but not too tight and zippered, please.

I have a couple decent slat-board frames in mind for not too much myself.

I want this done by an experienced member of the community because through all my learning, I don’t trust myself to make a proper ticking that fits just right, and hopefully your experience can tweak my request if necessary.

Sound good? Thanks ssssooOOOoo much for your time and feel free to ask me anything that will help the mission!

Sincerely,
Someone who desperately needs a solid bed

Hi Gavelitis,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

[quote]The setup is this:

10" total foam:
Middle: 6" natural dunlop latex (medium-firm ILD 30-34
Outside foam layers: 2 x 2" talalay medium-soft ILD 24-28

I want this done by an experienced member of the community because through all my learning, I don’t trust myself to make a proper ticking that fits just right, and hopefully your experience can tweak my request if necessary.
[/quote]

I would reference you to the members of the site in our component supplier list in post #4 here. These members are all extremely knowledgeable and in my opinion among the best in the country. A detailed phone call with them would be your best course of action and their advice will be invaluable as you look to create your own mattress.

I’ll look forward to learning about your progress.

Phoenix

Thank you so much, I’ve used the link you’ve made and poured through the members to find one that works for me. Their warranty is out of this world!

Flexuscomfort, besides holding a $300 off sale, offers a 30 year non-pro-rated warranty with a 1" indentation clause. I got the 10" natural latex mattress with split bottom two layers and soft on top.

This is one of the very few mattresses offered with a cover with all of the following,

1. Knit cotton
  2. Wool
  3. Zippered

It is perfect for being re-layered, flipped, temperature regulation and moisture absorption should y.ou sweat at all. Lovely! Ended up paying about $1800 for a $2100 mattress and got free latex pillows on account of it being veterans day.

Although i was looking to pay 1300 for clearance items and piece them together, I was uncomfortable with buying and fitting a ticking / cover that would have all the above features, that wouldn’t be too big or tight. Also, Flexuscomfort’s warranty is fan freaking tastic. I can’t say no to the equivalence of paying $5 a month for the next 30 years for a great mattress. (5 x 12 = 60 x 30 = 1800)
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint 1: Place link here but delete the http: //www. | Archived Footprint 2:flexuscomfort.com/Policy.html

Hi Gavelitis,

Congratulations on your new mattress! You certainly made a good quality/value choice, and as you’re aware Flexus is a member here of the site which means I think highly of them and their products. I’m also happy that you were able to take advantage of their sales event.

Flexus certainly does have a strong warranty backing their products against manufacturing defects.

One thing I’ll mention, just for others who might casually peruse this thread, is a word of caution about equating the length of a mattress warranty and the useful comfort life of the product.

While it’s not possible to quantify how long any mattress will last for any particular person, if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new and meets the minimum quality specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials that are well above the minimum guidelines like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

It’s always more realistic to think of about 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress no matter what the quality or durability of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

Having said that … with higher quality materials throughout a mattress and/or for people whose needs and preferences or physical condition or body type hasn’t changed much over 10 years then “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” with higher quality/density and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam or natural fibers is much more likely than with less durable materials.

You certainly purchased a very high quality product and with good care it should give you many years of comfort.

I’ll look forward to your comments about your new mattress once you’ve had it and have been able to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

$15 a month then :wink: thanks for the clarification, Phoenix

Hi Gavelitis,

Still a pretty good deal!

Phoenix