Sealy Embody mattress too firm

Hello!

I purchased a Sealy Embody Latex mattress in December. It is the firmest of the series (the “Insightful”). I thought it would soften up a bit, but it actually feels firmer now than when I bought it. I was hoping to find a topper that will work well with the firmness of the mattress but am at a loss. I’ve tried a couple of toppers locally, but they just sank at the pressure points to the harder sleeping surface beneath and I lost the support I need. Do I need to know the density of the 3" top latex layer of the mattress (what they call “smart latex”) to know what firmness of topper to buy? Or will toppers not help me and I should just start over? I’m not sure what to do next. I am 5’2" 140 lbs, and a side sleeper.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Hi Chromatic,

[quote]I purchased a Sealy Embody Latex mattress in December. It is the firmest of the series (the “Insightful”). I thought it would soften up a bit, but it actually feels firmer now than when I bought it. I was hoping to find a topper that will work well with the firmness of the mattress but am at a loss. I’ve tried a couple of toppers locally, but they just sank at the pressure points to the harder sleeping surface beneath and I lost the support I need. Do I need to know the density of the 3" top latex layer of the mattress (what they call “smart latex”) to know what firmness of topper to buy? Or will toppers not help me and I should just start over? I’m not sure what to do next. I am 5’2" 140 lbs, and a side sleeper.

Thanks for any advice you can offer! [/quote]

If your mattress is still in good condition and there are no soft spots or impressions in the surface then a topper can certainly help add some additional softness and pressure relief.

While there is no specific formula that can use specs (either yours or the mattress) or “theory at a distance” to choose a topper with any certainty of success because there are many variables and unknowns involved … post #3 here and the topper guidelines and sources it links to have some suggestions that can help you use your actual experience as a reference point to choose a topper which has the best odds of success.

Phoenix