Sealy Hybrid Encourge, Trust and Ability

I have been trying out many of the department store mattresses and keep going back to these Sealy Hybrids but little review history online.

I thought a more tried and true brand would be safer so I just purchased a Beautyrest World Class Recharge in the Luxury Firm Pillowtop (I was steering away from pillow tops). I think the pillowtop which I read never a good idea, gave the illusion it would be comfortable for side sleeping. The thing is behemoth and was sagging badly within two weeks . Purchased new slats, a three slat system each with a center support which took care of the sagging and now it feels like cement and waking up with a back ache every day. Need to exchange it and afraid to get it wrong again.

Went back to the department store and tried them all and still go back to the Sealy Hybrids.
Tried the ISeries Merit Super Pillowtop but again, afraid of the pillowtops and these do not get good reviews either.

Here are the stats on the Sealy Hybrids. Does it seem as if it would hold up or what should I try out there that would be a comparable feel but quality to last a while and not breakdown? I am in total information overload and no specialty stores in the area except one.
If the Encourage and Trust seem to be the right feel, if these would not be a good idea what is comparable out there. Again, I am so tired of reading about these and need some simple recommendations if that is possible. THANKS so much!
My zip code is 18020 in PA.

Sealy Hybrid Encourage (soft feel):
Mattress Type: Innerspring & Memory Foam
Coil Count: 825
Mattress Height: 12.5"
1" OptiCool Gel Memory Foam with CoreSupport Center Zoning
1" OptiPro Memory Foam
2" SuperSoft ActiveFlex

Sealy Hybrid Ability(I think too firm for me):
Mattress Height: 12.5"
1" OptiPro Memory Foam
2" ActiveFlex

Sealy Hybrid Trust (seems just right but bad review that it softened very quickly-No memory foam and could this make it fail?)
Mattress Height: 11.5"
2" SuperSoft ActiveFlex

11.5" Cushion Firm Top Specs
•Revolutionary OptiCool® Gel Memory Foam
•ForeverFlex™ Body Hugging Stretch Fabric
•Half Foam/Half Springs Hybrid Mattress Construction•
Apex™ HS Titanium Individually Pocketed Coil Design
•CoreSupport Center™•SupportFlex™ Base•SolidEdge™ HD System•
Designed & Built in the US
A•10 year manufacture warranty -

Hi Peterpan1121,

It’s unfortunate that you didn’t find us before you made your purchase since it may have helped prevent you from being in a somewhat difficult situation where you need to exchange a mattress and there may be no good quality/value options to choose from.

There is some information in post #2 here about the two main strategies I would use when you are in this type of situation and you aren’t able to return your mattress for a refund.

Unfortunately … none of the specs you listed provide any meaningful information about the quality of the materials in any of the mattresses (see this article for the information you need) so hopefully someone in the store will be able to provide them to you and if you post them on the forum I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality/durability of the materials but even if the memory foam in these mattresses was a suitable density (4 lbs or higher) which isn’t likely … the 2" polyfoam layer in all of them is a lower density foam than I would be comfortable with and would be on the edge of being a weak link in the mattress all by itself. I would avoid all of these.

Having other stores in the area probably wouldn’t make any difference anyway since if I understand correctly you are limited to an exchange in the store you purchased from but if you are able to get a refund and start all over again then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks for confirming my hunch that the foam would not be of great quality.

I intend to fight for a refund but if not could you please advise which of these would be suitable:
Comforpedic
ISeries Vantage Plush
Serta Richardford Plush
Sealy Gel Series Sydney Lane

Hi Peterpan1121,

[quote]I intend to fight for a refund but if not could you please advise which of these would be suitable:
Comforpedic
ISeries Vantage Plush
Serta Richardford Plush
Sealy Gel Series Sydney Lane [/quote]

I would need to know the specifics of all the layers and components in each of them to be able to make any meaningful comments about any of them (see this article).

If you aren’t able to find out the information you need to confirm the type and quality of the materials in each of these mattresses then I would lean towards the second strategy which would be to choose a firmer mattress that minimizes the use of either lower quality materials or “unknown quality” materials (I would treat “unknown” the same as “low quality”) and then add a good quality topper for any additional comfort or pressure relief that you would need. This way the “base” mattress would have the least possible amount of questionable materials and you could choose the type and quality of the materials in your topper. The upper layers of a sleeping system are generally the weakest link and the layers that will tend to soften and break down first so one of the advantages of having a topper on a firmer mattress is that you can choose higher quality more durable materials and you can also replace just the topper without having to replace the entire mattress and it will help to extend the durability and useful life of the comfort layers in the mattress underneath it.

I don’t know if the store you purchased from has a refund policy so a refund may not be possible but if it is then if you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

What store are you dealing with?

Phoenix

I am dealing with Boscovs customer service department and they have been very nice so far. The inspector is coming tomorrow.

I will insist on a refund as really, I don’t see anything that is of quality to replace it with. I think I want to try latex or memory foam as need softness. Also, I really don’t like the idea of having to spend more $$$ for a topper. There has to be a mattress out there that is suitable on its own.

I am doing yet more research on memory foam.

What do you think of the Comforpedic Balanced Days? They do have this at Boscovs.

Also, could you please look at the specs of this off brand. Looks impressive for $1000. What do you think?
Sorry for all the questions but body aching on this too firm bed and I need to do my research now to proceed quickly once a determination is made and hoping to have a new bed by next week.

Monarch Diamond

With a Monarch Diamond 10" Queen Memory Foam Mattress on your bed, you’ll revel in the superior support and cushioning comfort. The mattress will conform to your body shape so you can experience a perfect night’s slumber every time. Featuring NuGel Select infused memory foam that helps cool down your body temperature while you sleep, this mattress ensures you’ll enjoy many years of sweet dreams.
White/brown suede border
10"H x 60"W x 80"L
0.5" Nugel Select infused memory foam (3.2-3.6-lbs. density)
2" MD memory foam (3.2-3.6-lbs. density)
Euro top construction with waterfall design
7.5" polyurethane foam core base
Premium grade fiberglass FR sock
Fire retardant CFR-1633 compliant
Manufacturer’s 10-year non-pro-rated warranty
Imported

Hi Peterpan1121,

Unless you can find out the information in this article about the materials inside the mattress … it’s not possible for me to make any meaningful comments but like all the major brands Simmons tends to use lower quality materials in the comfort layers of their mattresses.

[quote]With a Monarch Diamond 10" Queen Memory Foam Mattress on your bed, you’ll revel in the superior support and cushioning comfort. The mattress will conform to your body shape so you can experience a perfect night’s slumber every time. Featuring NuGel Select infused memory foam that helps cool down your body temperature while you sleep, this mattress ensures you’ll enjoy many years of sweet dreams.
White/brown suede border
10"H x 60"W x 80"L
0.5" Nugel Select infused memory foam (3.2-3.6-lbs. density)
2" MD memory foam (3.2-3.6-lbs. density)
Euro top construction with waterfall design
7.5" polyurethane foam core base
Premium grade fiberglass FR sock
Fire retardant CFR-1633 compliant
Manufacturer’s 10-year non-pro-rated warranty
Imported [/quote]

These specs are also incomplete and don’t include information about all the layers but as you can see in the guidelines here … just the top 2.5" is lower density memory foam than I would be comfortable with and would be a weak link in the mattress. I would pass it by.

Phoenix

Boy do I need this to be over. Woke up on that Beautyrest today with lower back pain radiating all the way down my sciatic nerve. I haven’t had that pain in 20 years. I need to find a suitable mattress sooner than later.

I came across a handmade Amish mattress online that is “plush” flippable, a lifetime warranty and a layer of Talalay ILD 19 foam. Read that this is “soft”. Store is about 40 miles so a managable drive and going this weekend. Is that a good one?

Hi Peterpan1121,

It sounds promising and there are some Amish manufacturers that make some very good quality mattresses including Dutch Craft and some of the manufacturers mentioned in the Cleveland / Akron list here.

I would need to know all the layers of the mattress to make any meaningful comments but latex is a high quality and very durable material.

Phoenix

I am getting credit for the Beautyrest World class luxury foam pillowtop mattress and boxspring so need to pick something else out at Boscovs.

Can anyone simply recommend the best quality of the manuf. they carry? I am more interested in quality than the type, i.e. inner spring, memory or latex or hybrid.

They have the usual Sealy, Serta, Simmons and the hybrids, Comforpedic, I comfort and ISeries. Which is the best of these mediocre quality beds?

Hi Peterpan1121,

[quote]Can anyone simply recommend the best quality of the manuf. they carry? I am more interested in quality than the type, i.e. inner spring, memory or latex or hybrid.

They have the usual Sealy, Serta, Simmons and the hybrids, Comforpedic, I comfort and ISeries. Which is the best of these mediocre quality beds? [/quote]

Unfortunately this isn’t possible without knowing the specifics of what is inside their mattresses because regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label a specific mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality of the materials in the mattress. The name of the manufacturer isn’t what makes a mattress more or less durable because all manufacturers make a range of mattresses that vary widely in terms of the type and quality of the materials inside them.

I included a link in my first reply in this topic that has more information about the two main strategies I would use if you are in the unfortunate position of having to exchange a mattress for another one and there are no particularly good quality/value options to choose from. When you aren’t able to find out the specifics about what is inside a mattress then the best idea is usually to minimize the amount of “unknown foam” in the comfort layers (which would mean looking in the firmer range of mattresses because firmer mattresses usually have less foam) and then adding a topper for the additional comfort and pressure relief that you need.

Without knowing what is inside a mattress it’s not possible to make any meaningful comments about the quality of the materials or the durability of a mattress.

Phoenix