"Major" Brands Sealy Optimum?

Phoenix,

I was considering getting a Sealy Optimum until I read your information. Is there a manufacturer in Phoenix, AZ that you could recommend for me. Also any advice on a cool mattress to deal with the Arizona heat? thank you.

Ryan

Hi AZmook,

Phoenix is one of the best places in the country to buy a great quality and value mattress and several of the manufacturing members of this site are either there or close by.

The first place I would start is post #1 here and the information it links to which will give you the basic information that you need to work more effectively with a manufacturer and make the best possible decisions.

The sleeping temperature of a mattress is determined by many interacting factors (see post #2 here) but any good manufacturer will be able to tell you which of their mattresses will be cooler and why. Connecting with the experts is always much easier than becoming one yourself when it comes to some of the more complex parts of mattress design.

The better options Iā€™m aware of in the Phoenix area are listed in post #4 here.

I wish every area in the country had the kind of local choices available that you do :slight_smile:

Phoenix

My wife and I looked at and liked the Sealy Optimum Elation last evening and considered some of the features to be of value for us. My concern when looking at any ā€œfoamā€ mattress is that she loves the plush sink in mattresses but overheats during the night. We currently have what is claimed to be a memory foam topper which retains heat ( I know because you can come back an hour later and it is still warm to the touch) that is worn out in my opinion and we need to start fresh.

Iā€™m having a difficult time wrapping my head around the Sealy prices considering the unknowns about materials in these mattresses and others in the same realm. Having said this I am willing to pay for a mattress that will satisfy my wifeā€™s needs. We are in the Roswell/Atlanta area and would like to look at products of known quality that are comparable to the Sealy Optimum Elation, Tempurpedic, icomfort range. Thanks in advance for your help and consideration.

Hi E-Four,

The first comment I would make is that you could consider every mattress you are testing to be a ā€œfoamā€ mattress since it would be very uncommon to find a mattress that only used natural fibers in the comfort layers (such as wool or horsehair) which are the layers that you sleep on and ā€œfeelā€ the most. The question is really about what type of foam is used in the comfort layers (memory foam or itā€™s variant gel memory foam of various types, polyfoam, or latex foam). all of these have very different properties and there are many variations in each category. No matter what type of support layer you find in a mattress (innersprings, polyfoam. or latex are the most common) ā€¦ you will generally be sleeping on some type of foam and possibly some type of fiber in the mattress quilting.

The first place I would start in your research is post #1 here and the information it links to which is the most important post on the forum when you are first starting to look for a mattress. This will give you all the basic information you need to know a bit more about mattresses and the materials inside them and avoid most of the worse choices of either mattresses or retailers that sell them (such as the major brands you are considering and chain stores) and focus on the better options and materials available to you. These can match all your needs and preferences (including temperature regulation) using much higher quality foams and components (better durability) at better prices (better ā€œvalueā€) than the major brands.

Some of the better options and possibilities in the Atlanta area are in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Like many in this thread, we were dead set on getting a Sealy Optimum Inspiration, but are now having second thoughts.

My wife and I have only been out mattress shopping once (to one store) and liked the Tempurpedic and Sealy Optimum mattresses. What really sold us on the Optimum was the gel-infused top layer for its temperature conducting properties. Our current mattress is a 9 year old conventional inner spring that we both sleep fine on, but weā€™re upgrading to a King now. We are fortunate that we can usually sleep well on quite a range of mattresses, so judging comfort and support has been difficult, everything felt good. The one thing we know we want is a memory foam top because of the way you sink in.

The Sealy Optimum in a King is $2500 with the box, quite steep, especially when they wonā€™t tell you the density or other specs. I know they donā€™t publish it, but if you had to guess, what would you say the density and quality of the core and comfort layers are? Can I get a comparable mattress with a gel-infused top layer from a local manufacturer? Would pulling a gel pad on top of a latex or memory foam mattress from a more reputable company work to help overheating issues? We live in the St. Louis area.

Thanks for running this site. Iā€™ve learned quite a bit in just a day.

• Jason

Hi Jason22,

You can see most of the Optimum specs in post #48 here.

Probably yes ā€¦ but it would depend on your area.

This would depend on whether the gel pad was cooler or warmer than the memory foam or latex you were putting it on top of. I would bear in mind that gel infused foams are not necessarily cooler than non gel infused foams. The gel is thermally conductive (like putting your hand on a countertop) which is a great selling tool because they can feel cooler when you put your hand on them but this doesnā€™t mean that they will be cooler over the course of the night because once temperatures equalize the foam will become an insulator. Long term ā€œcoolnessā€ is more about ventilation and breathability and the ventilation of the foam that contains the gel is just as if not more important than the gel that is in it.

If you were to put gel memory foam on top of latex for example or above a quilting layer that had wool in it you would likely increase the sleeping temperature of the mattress.If you put it on top of memory foam that was less breathable then it may be cooler. You can read more about the different cooling technologies at the end of post #4 here and about the many factors that combine to influence sleeping temperature in post #2 here.

Some of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in the St Louis area are listed in post #6 here.

Youā€™re very welcome. After a day you probably know more of the ā€œfactsā€ behind mattresses and mattress materials than most of the people who sell them in the ā€œmass marketā€ stores. :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Gel memory foam alone is not the cooling factor in a mattress. Optimum utilizes ā€œOutlastā€ that is sprayed on the top layer of gel memory foam to keep you at your optimum temperature during the night. When reducing the covers on, covers off factor, youā€™ll get a better nights sleep. There are other cooling agents out there but Outlast ( go to outlast.com) was the first and the only one certified by NASA and was used in astronauts spacesuits. It has also been chosen by Nike and you can find it in Jockey also. If you sleep hot or cold, each individual will get to a comfortable temperature.

Hi Begsel,

I certainly donā€™t mind you posting Sealyā€™s marketing information here but I am still waiting for your reply to my earlier question in post #89 in your earlier thread.

If you are part of the industry then disclosure is required to post here ā€¦ and it seems clear to me that a ā€œregularā€ consumer wouldnā€™t have the same ā€œfierceā€ loyalty to major brands (particularly Sealy) as you clearly do.

So before you post again I need a specific statement from you about your affiliation with the industry.

Phoenix

I live by Madison, Wi. Can you recommend some quality places to get a mattress? Thanks for the ones you mentioned for the Milwaukee writer.

Hi DAK,

The better options Iā€™m aware of in reasonable driving distance of Madison are listed in post #5 here which includes two of the members of this site.

Phoenix

OK, thanks. We plan to go to the Milwaukee area this week and will check out Michaels Furniture in Brookfield. Will keep you informed.

Havenā€™t been there yet, but discovered a store in Madison called Satara which ā€œgreenā€ mattresses made of Dunlop latex. Plan to check them out soon. They have a website if you care to take a look and advise.

Hi DAK,

Iā€™m familiar with http://www.satarahome.com/ and they sell Savvy Rest and Sueno/Suerte latex mattresses (made by Sleeptek)ā€¦

Both of these use high quality materials (natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay latex in the case of Savvy Rest and natural Dunlop in the case of the Sueno/Suerte) but they are both more costly than other similar mattresses that use the same materials and design.

They are certainly a good option for testing latex mattresses and are good quality but they are not in the best ā€œvalue rangeā€ compared to other options you have in the area (see post #5 here) ā€¦ although of course each person may have their own personal value equation which is different from the majority of other people.

Forum searches on Sleeptek and on Savvy Rest (you can just click these) will bring up more information about both of them.

Phoenix

Weā€™re certainly not interested in spending more for a comparable mattress we can get cheaper somewhere else. Will check out Satara just to see what they have to say since weā€™re in Madison a lot. Spoke with Ken Michaels Furniture in Brookfield yesterday and left with info and prices. They have a $49 delivery charge for anything out of a 40 mile radius of downtown Milwaukee and will take 2 weeks to make your mattress. This may be relevant info for potential buyers. Will also check out Gateway for comparison sake.

So, hereā€™s where weā€™re at: Ken Michaels has a 3 layer 11" Talalay for $2470, made by Milwaukee Mattress
Satara has 3 layer 10" Dunlop Savvy Rest for $2439 amd the Suerte is 2 layers of Dunlop 8" total for $2550

I am inclined to go with Milwaukee Mattress. Any opinions?

Hi DAK,

For me to make a reasonable comparison between them ā€¦ I would need to know more details about the types of latex and the thickness of the latex in the mattress (or the latex layers) not just the mattress thickness for each of the mattresses you are considering. Knowing more about the details of the quilting and ticking of each mattress would also make a difference (the quilting and ticking materials can be a significant part of the cost of a mattress and its comfort properties as well).

For example the Savvy Rest is available in either 100% natural Dunlop or 100% natural Talalay (one is more costly than the other) and only has 3 x 3" layers of latex in the mattress for a total of 9" (not 10") and has an organic wool/cotton quilting. What type of materials does the one you are quoting contain (Iā€™m assuming itā€™s the lower cost Dunlop)

The Suerte uses 8" of 100% Natural Dunlop and has a very nice stretch jersey ticking with 2 lbs / sq yd of organic wool in the quilting.

I donā€™t know the details of the Milwaukee mattress you are looking at.

I also donā€™t know if these are mattress only prices (nothing else such as a foundation should be included in any mattress value comparisons) or the size you are looking at (which can make a significant difference in the price)

Can you provide a little more information about the specifics?

It seems to me that all of them use good quality materials but all of them (with the possible exception of the Ken Michaels where I donā€™t know enough details to make any assessment) are not in the ā€œbest valueā€ range.

Post #21 here includes some of the members of the site which sell latex mattresses online of various types ā€¦ some of which are very similar to the ones you are considering and which I would use as a ā€œvalue referenceā€. I normally consider a 20% ā€œlocal premiumā€ as being roughly equivalent value.

Of course just as important as the quality and ā€œcommodity valueā€ of a mattress is how well it provides you with the PPP that makes it suitable for your specific needs and preferences. Objective and careful testing is one of the most important parts of a mattress purchase to find this out because without being suitable for your body type, sleeping style, and preferences a mattress would have little value for you. There are also many other parts of a mattress purchase that may be an important part of your ā€œpersonal value equationā€ which you can see in post #46 here. In the end ā€¦ the combination of the objective, subjective, and even intangible factors that are most important to you are all part of deciding which one has the best value for you.

Phoenix

I did misread the Savvy Rest description. They said it was a 10" mattress with 3 layers of natural latex. The price quoted above is for the queen size Dunlop. The Milwaukee made mattress is 100% Talaly with a large layer in the middle sandwiched by 2 thinner layers. The cover is made of a flexible/stretching material, but I forgot its name. They said it was ā€œ11 inches of latexā€. Called it a pressure relief mattress. The price quotes are for a mattress only since itā€™s going on a platform bed.

The Gateway mattress company in Milton only makes innerspring mattresses, but they said theyā€™re coming out with a new gel model.

Hi DAK,

Talalay is just a manufacturing method so any latex that used this method of production using synthetic or natural rubber would be 100% Talalay. The cover material will also make a difference in terms of ā€œvalueā€ as well as feel and performance. I would also consider a two sided to be a ā€œvalueā€ bonus not only because it can be more costly to finish a mattress on both sides but because if you regularly flip and rotate the mattress it will extend the life of any mattress regardless of material.

Of course ā€¦ PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences) and the suitability of a mattress for your specific needs and preferences would also be a significant part of your personal value equation and would be an important part of any choice along with any other benefits that come from a specific design (such as the ability to make any fine tuning changes after a purchase) or from dealing with the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with (return or exchange policies, delivery costs, extra value additions to your purchase, or any other benefit that comes from dealing with a particular retailer or manufacturer).

Beloit also sells latex mattresses with some great value if they are within reasonable driving distance for you

Phoenix

The one made by Milwaukee Mattress is flippable. According to the Beloit website, they only make coil mattresses, some with latex or gel. Looks like Ken Michaels is the place.

Hi DAK,

Beloit makes several all latex mattresses which you can see here. As you mentioned ā€¦ they are a one sided design but certainly have better ā€œvalueā€.

Phoenix