"Major" Brands Sealy Optimum?

Phoenix,

Can you give me some goop places to look in or near Chicago? Zip is 60655.

Thanks!

Hi Tjwalsh3,

Post #2 and 4 here includes the better choices in the Chicago area.

Some other choices that are either further away or not in the same ā€œvalue rangeā€ are in post #4 here.

You are fortunate to be as close as you are to some of the best quality and value in the country.

Phoenix

I am a bit bewildered as I read your site, as I am locked into choosing a Sealy ā€” I purchased a Stearns and Foster Estate Plush about a month ago and absolutely hate it, I unless I am sleeping dead center of the King mattress (i.e. where the edges of the box springs are). I love the plush feel, but anywhere other than the middle, my 165 lb female body causes the mattress to ā€œhammockā€. Not so for my husband, but I guess his body weight is more evenly distributed. I complained, as the salesman promised me that this S&S would have great support. I believe they will be making an exception to their return policy and allow me to choose another. The other innerspring models feel too firm for me, and do not seem to adequately relieve shoulder and hip pressure. So, I am tempted to go with the Optmum as an alternative. Yet, I am very gunshy. I am even more gunshy after reading your comments on this forum. That said, I am sure they wonā€™t refund my money, only offer an exchange. So, I am stuck choosing a Stearns or a Sealy Optimum. As to the better of what I understand you to say are two " evils", what would you recommend? I think the Elation feels best, but I am confused as to why a 3" middle layer feels softer than the 5" middle layer, all else equal. And, why is the 4" middle layer firmer than both the 3" and 5"? Are the foams different densities to achieve the different feel? I just want to be sure I choose right so I donā€™t end up with hammocking and body impressions due to my weight being concentrated in the center of my body, yet still enjoy a plush feel?

Hi Dymnd,

Unfortunately you are in a similar set of circumstances to several others that have posted on the forum (needing to exchange a mainstream mattress for another mainstream mattress). This is a difficult position to be in but there are some better approaches that can help minimize the ā€œdamageā€. Some of my comments in post #2 here and in post #4 here to forum members in similar circumstances may be helpful.

As you can see ā€¦ the main goal is to either choose a mattress where the materials are both known and better quality (although this can be difficult or impossible to find out in many cases with major brands) or to choose a mattress which has the least amount of questionable or unknown materials (this mostly involves using the least amount of polyfoam in the upper layers) and then add your own comfort layers as a topper where you can choose the quality of the material. this approach has several advantages. The first is that you can choose any type of comfort layer that you wish in any type of material. the second is that it takes a more modular approach to your sleeping system where the modules can be replaced. The upper layers of a mattress are usually the ā€œweak linkā€ of a mattress and the ones that will soften and degrade the fastest resulting in the loss of comfort and/or support. This softening is not covered by any warranty. If the upper layers are replaceable ā€¦ then if they wear out faster than the rest of the mattress (which is likely) ā€¦ they can be replaced without replacing the whole mattress.

An example of the first approach would be trying to exchange for one of the Sealy Optimum line in the hopes that it uses better quality materials. Unfortunately ā€¦ there is no way to know this for sure unless the specs of the materials they use are available and they donā€™t release all the specs to the consumer. Even the retailers that Iā€™ve talked to donā€™t know the density of all the memory foam that Sealy uses in the Optimum. Based on their history however ā€¦ they would either be lower quality or higher quality and overpriced. Iā€™ve updated the information about the Optimum lineup in post #48 here which may help somewhat if you choose to go in this direction.

The differences in the mattresses you are mentioning would come from differences in the memory foams they use along with any difference in the polyfoam cores they use. The Optimum line replaced the Embody line (although both are still available) and if you go here and click on each model, you will see that the Embody line uses several different types of memory foams including 2.5 lbs, 4 lbs, 5 lbs, and 7 lbs in various combinations. The Optimum lineup is likely similar and the ā€œwhyā€™sā€ behind the different feels will make more sense as more of the specs of the mattress become available over time (if they do).

The Elation has a 5" memory foam middle layer and is the softest of the lineup (for most people) but the feel of a mattress can be changed with the use of different types and densities of materials along with different thicknesses of the layers.

So overall there are really 3 things you can do.

1. Make sure the foundation itself is not the issue. If you have a more rigid no flex foundation then the middle area shouldnā€™t be substantially different from each side. This may happen over time though because the sides are used more than the middle and foam will generally go through an initial softening or ā€œbreak inā€ period over the first few weeks and this may be what is happening for you. so this may have less to do with the foundation than with foam softening. How much this initial softening will affect each person will depend on whether the softening puts you outside your tolerance range in terms of pressure relief and support. If you were on the edge of your support needs when the mattress was new ā€¦ then this initial softening may have put you over the line and made the mattress unsuitable or less than ideal for you ā€¦ even though it may still be fine for someone else who was more in the middle of their range when the mattress was new (like your husband).

2. Exchange for another mattress (like the Optimum) that you can confirm uses better materials which are more appropriate for your needs and preferences and that will also be more durable and suitable over the long term. I would also take the initial softening into account so that what meets your needs and preferences in a showroom wonā€™t end up outside your range once again when the breakin period is complete. After the initial breakin period ā€¦ softening is generally more gradual over a longer period of time.

3. Exchange for another mattress which is as firm as possible and uses the least amount of polyfoam (or memory foam) in the comfort layers and use this as a ā€œbaseā€ for a topper of your choice. This will take some research into the layering of the Stearns & Foster lineup to discover which model would be most suitable. there are many online outlets which provide the layering of each model (although they donā€™t provide quality/density specs). For example ā€¦ this site lists all the specs of the Stearns & Foster lineup and in the Luxury Collection the Josette Ultra firm (3" of polyfoam and 1/2" of memory foam) would likely be the best option for this approach, in the Estate Collection the Twila (4" of polyfoam) or the Felisha (3" polyfoam and 1" of memory foam) would be the best, and in the Luxury Latex collection the Villa (only 1" of polyfoam but has a mostly synthetic latex core which is more expensive than an innerspring) would be the best choice. These would be a way to make the best out of a difficult situation and build a ā€œcomponentā€ sleeping system.

If you have other choices available for an exchange besides the Optimum lineup or the Stearns and Foster lineup ā€¦ then the same general ideas would apply to these as well.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix

We were looking at the Sealy Optimum as well. But Iā€™d like to see what else is out there. Anything near Centreville, VA. 20120?

Hi empcesar,

Post #2 here includes the better outlets or possibilities Iā€™m aware of that are near Centreville or in the general DC corridor.

This article may also help you avoid most of the lower value choices when you are mattress shopping and this article can also help save you a lot of time and frustration by knowing how to identify the better outlets before you spend time visiting them.

Phoenix

We live in Melbourne, FLā€¦any good manufacturers in FL? Orlando is an hour away, as an option.

Hi fryedm,

Post #4 here should help.

There is a general description of some of these in the Orlando list in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Sealy optimum is the best value out there for the money. It has a 25 year warrantee and not being a foam person, I did find it extremely comfortable. It makes a lot of sense with the 2" of gel at the top. But what makes this mattress stand out is that it is infused with Outlast. Go to www.outlast.com and youā€™ll see why this mattress works for all body temperatures. Also what I likesd is that you didnā€™t sink the quicksand like tempurpedic. I could roll side to side easily but it gave me great support in my lower back. I tried 3 models and liked the feel of the Inspiration. The adjustable foundation it was on was heaven if that is what youā€™re looking for. They did say I could get the foundation anytime. They are having a sale with a free foundation at Dillardā€™s. Good luck with your decision but I know this bed is the buzz.

Hi Begsel,

The only way to determine the quality or ā€œvalueā€ of any mattress ā€¦ regardless of the brand ā€¦ is by knowing the quality of the materials that are in it. While certain combinations of materials can be very comfortable regardless of quality and outlast is one of many cooling technologies that are available in mattresses today ā€¦ Sealy is not forthcoming about telling comsumers anything about the quality of the materials they use which means that any type of meaningful comparisons with other mattress isnā€™t possible.

The ā€œnormā€ for major brands today is that their value compared to other mattresses that use comparable quality materials is low.

On the other hand ā€¦ comfort is a subjective perception that is very individual and can vary widely from person to person and Iā€™m happy to see that you bought a mattress that you like and that is comfortable for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am looking for a mattress that does not wake me up during the night because I am too warm! The new gel foams sound good and in particular the Outlast gel foam in the Optimum. But does it actually work? Or is it just a questionable sales gimmick?

Hi cjt,

There are many different cooling technologies that are used in mattresses (memory foam and otherwise) and outlast is just one of them. All of them ā€œworkā€ in combination with other factors to a ā€œdegreeā€ but how cool a mattress sleeps in real life is a combination of many factors ā€¦ some of which have little to do with the mattress and more to do with the person or the bedding that is used on the mattress.

There is a discussion at the end of post #4 here on the three main cooling methods used in mattresses. There is also a more detailed discussion on the many factors in a memory foam mattress that can affect sleeping temperature in post #6 here.

Like all major brand mattresses though ā€¦ I would also question the value of the Optimum (you can see more about this in post #48 of this topic) and before I considered any major brand I would read this article which may help eliminate most of the lower value choices when you are mattress shopping and help you focus on mattresses (including those with effective cooling technologies) and manufacturers or retail outlets that have better value.

Phoenix

Hi Cjtā€¦ To learn more about Outlast in Sealy Optimum go to www.outlast.com. Try the bed in a store. If you go to the Sealy website, there is a link to find a retailer by you. Youā€™ll see that this isnā€™t a gimmick and I understand your concern. Gel alone is not cool, it just breaks up the density of the foam. Are Dr. Scholl inserts cool? You really need to try this bed to feel the difference.

Hi Begsel,

Do you happen to know the density/quality of the memory foams that Sealy uses in the Optimum?

Iā€™m hopeful that you either know (if you sell them) or asked (if you bought one) because none of the online sites or retail outlets have been able to get the quality/density information for the memory foam that Sealy uses in the Optimum. Even the reps donā€™t seem to know.

The Dr Scholl gel is actual a thermal conductor (feels cool) while the Gel used in the Outlast is a phase change material which works differently (stores and releases heat as it changes phase).

You can see more information about the thermal conductivity of the gel used in Dr Scholls inserts and some of the mattresses that use it at the Technogel website.

Phoenix

Let me see if I can find out.

We live in Austin,TX and are in the market for a new mattress? Any suggestions?

Hi Dridata,

Some suggestions in terms of a step by step process that can lead you to your best possible choices are in post #10 here.

The better possibilities in the Austin area that Iā€™m aware of in the Austin area are in post #2 here.

Of course if you have any questions along the way ā€¦ feel free to post them on the forum :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I livee in Okeechobee, Fl and we desprately need a bed that does not break down. My husband and I wake up constantly waking up with horrible back aches. We have a queen bed and it is ok size wise but it is only 4 years old. I am over weight and my husband is not so we wound up with a lump in the middle and a dip in my side. Any sggestions will help.

Hi cmarie24,

Post #10 here can help you with a step by step process of shopping for a mattress that can lead to ā€œyourā€ best mattress in terms of performance, quality, and value.

The most important first step you can make is to connect with the better local manufacturers or sleep shops that have the knowledge and experience to help you make your best choices and carry a range of good quality and value mattresses. Even if they are a bit of a drive away ā€¦ they can save you a great deal of time and research and change mattress shopping from an exercise in frustration and not knowing who to believe into a pleasure.

The local manufacturers and some of the better possibilities that are closest to you are in post #2 here.

A little further away ā€¦

Post #143 here is centered on the Tampa area

Post #2 here is centered on the Orlando area

I took a quick look locally and there doesnā€™t appear to be many options in your back yard. I wouldnā€™t visit Badcock or Ashley and the other local outlets either donā€™t have a website of donā€™t list what they carry. It may be worth a quick call to check what brands they carry and if you post them here I can let you know if they may be worth including in your research.

Phoenix

My suggestion is to find a bed with a cushion tight top (not pillow top) so each of you are comfortable. Ashley carries Stearns and Foster who have titanium alloy in their coil system with a 25 yr warrantee. They also have twice tempered coils that hold up better than single tempered coils. Good luck!