Sealy or Verlo or something else...confused!

Hi! First off, thank you for all the info on this site…I’ve been reading now for hours and am confusing myself.
We were planning on getting the Sealy Optimum Radiance in king.
Then we started looking on here and decided to go check out Verlo beds as one of your top suggestions for our area. We did like on of their memory foam beds, the Kodiak.

We were able to get a pretty good price on the Sealy ($1800 final price for the whole set) and we are looking at $2050 for the Verlo set.

I know Sealy is not liked here much but I’m worried a bit about warranty and life…Sealy has a 25 year warranty and Verlo has a 10 year warranty. Verlo says the life of the bed is around 12 years. Sealy says 25 years. I know warranties aren’t everything but I don’t know…I’ve never bought a mattress myself before and I just want to make sure it’s right.

Also the comfort guarantee…they both have them but if we make the wrong choice, swapping it out will cost close to $200 at Verlo from what I understand and $25 with the Sealy.

Hubby likes it firmer, I like it softer but need good support for bad lower back.

Here’s what I see as the specs for Verlo (thanks to another post on here):
Kodiak
3 inch Gel Foam
2 inch transitional foam
2 inches memory foam
5 inches acreloflex

I don’t know what to do…any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much!

Hi gapoochi,

The first place I would start is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice. It will also help you eliminate the worse choices such as chain stores, major brands like Sealy, or any manufacturer or retailer where you aren’t able to find out any meaningful information about the quality of what is inside your mattress.

The description you posted of the Kodiak doesn’t have any of the quality details of the mattress and knowing the quality of the materials (not just the type of materials) is essential for making meaningful quality and value comparisons between mattresses. You can see some more detailed comments about the Kodiak that includes the foam quality in post #3 and #4 here. As you can see this would also not be in the best value range and it uses mid quality materials (with a higher budget price)

Of course Sealy won’t give you any information at all about what is in their mattresses and in these cases it’s always safe to assume that it’s lower quality yet. There may be better or “less risky” options available to you than either of the choices you are considering.

A warranty has nothing to do with the usable lifetime of a mattress and when you see a 25 year warranty it’s about marketing not how long the mattress will last you. As you can see in post #174 here which talks about warranties … foam softening and the loss of comfort and support that goes with it (and is the reason that most people need to replace a mattress) is not covered by warranty. In some cases this can happen very early in the life of a mattress (depending on the suitability of your choice, the body type of the person, and on the quality of the materials) and then you are stuck with a useless mattress with a 25 year warranty and no options to exchange it for another one.

A comfort guarantee is only as good as the options you have for exchange and in many stores that promote Sealy mattresses … there isn’t a single mattress that I would consider either as a purchase or as an exchange. In the mattress shopping guidelines … #10 is to buy a mattress with very careful and objective testing as if your first choice is your final choice. A comfort guarantee can be a useful backup plan but in many cases all the initial purchase does is lock you in to exchanging for another lower value mattress.

It seems like you have already found the forum list for your area but if you me know your city or zip I’d be happy to make sure you know about the better options in your area.

Phoenix

Thank you for that info…I"ll get to reading :slight_smile:

I’m in Bolingbrook,IL 60490
thank you so much!

Hi gapoochi.

The better options I’m aware of in the Chicagoland area are listed in post #2 and #4 here.

The list includes My Green Mattress / Quality Sleep which are recommended members of this site and are not only the best quality/value I’m aware of in the Chicago area but among the best in the country. They would certainly be the first place I would visit and probably the last as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix.

Hi Phoenix,

I have been reading your postings for the last month or so (as I am in the market for a new mattress and foundation). I live outside of Boulder, Colorado so in the Denver area. Can you please recommend someone to work with to get a latex mattress? I have checked your online list a few times and don’t see anyone on it in Colorado. If you could recommend one of the companies in a nearby state to work with, I would be most appreciative.

Warm regards,
A. Deane

Hi adeane,

I switched your post to a new thread to save confusion.

The better options I’m aware of in the Boulder/Denver area are in post #2 here and several of them sell latex mattresses.

Phoenix