Search for a non-toxic mattress

Hi LookingNow,

If you are sleeping well and “symptom free” and the only remaining issue is the difference in height between each of your two mattresses then it may be worth considering an ultra firm layer of polyfoam under his side so it will have the least possible effect on the feel of his mattress in terms of PPP at the lowest possible cost. The higher the ILD the better but it won’t be necessary to use the highest quality and something in the density range of 1.8 lbs in an ultra firm (50 ILD+ range) would probably be fine. There are sources for polyfoam layers in the component post I linked earlier (post #4 here to save you looking back). A 2" piece of ultra firm polyfoam in a twin XL size would be somewhere in the range of about $100.

I’m not so sure I would be starting over if I was in your shoes but if you do there would be several options in the Phoenix area (including SleepEZ) that would have a latex/innerspring mattress that are listed in the Phoenix link that I included earlier (it’s in post #4 here to save you going back with this link as well). I would make some phone calls first so that you can confirm which ones carry a latex/innerspring mattress that you are interested in testing before you visit them.

There are also other options in the area that also make component latex mattresses that may also fit your criteria although not all of them would have 3 layers (some may have a 6" core). Again I would call each of them and then visit the ones that you are most interested in testing.

All latex (Dunlop or Talalay made with natural or synthetic rubber or a blend) will have either an Oeko-Tex certification or an Eco-Institut certification which would be equivalent so from a “safety” perspective it really won’t matter which type or blend of latex you prefer.

Phoenix