Search for a non-toxic mattress

I wanted a nontoxic mattress, so I purchased a natural talalay latex mattress with an organic cover from SleepEZ. I really want to like it, but cannot find the right configuration. I tried (from top layer to bottom) soft-medium-firm and soft-soft-firm, but feel pressure on my shoulders and feel like my hips are sinking too much. I also feel discomfort in my thighs (they feel like they are about to fall asleep, but don’t actually get the pins and needles). I decided that the soft-medium-firm was slightly more comfortable than the soft-soft-firm, so went back to that configuration although I am not comfortable. My back and leg muscles are normally very tight, but they have gotten much tighter since I purchased the bed. I tried removing the cover and sleeping with just a thin mattress protector and sheet over the latex. it is more comfortable that way, but it did not resolve my problems (pressure on shoulders and thighs and too much sinking at the hips). I tried my husband’s Medium-Firm-Extra Firm and it is way too firm for me. I am a female 5’2" tall and about 110 lbs. My questions are these: Do you think there are any latex beds that will work for me? Would a zoned latex mattress work better? (SleepEZ said they do not do zoned latex) If I can find a latex bed that works for me, I think I would want a very thin cover. Are there any thin covers that are non-toxic (preferably certified by Oeko Tex or something equivalent)? If latex isn’t for me, do you have any suggestions for other non-toxic beds? I like the feel of memory foam, but I think that’s about as toxic as beds get. I live in the Phoenix area. Thank you so much for your help.

Hi Shopper,

You have a much smaller than average body type which means that you won’t sink into the mattress as easily and foams that feel soft for others will feel firmer to you and lighter weight ranges will often do better with softer latex layers than people that are in higher weight ranges.

You may have read this already and it seems like you have already tried some of them but there are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful.

If I was in your shoes I would consider a latex topper in some of the lower ILD ranges that are available (in the mid teens) which may give you the additional softness and pressure relief that you appear to need. An “average” choice would be in the range of 2" or so which would give you “a little to a fair bit” of additional softness. Thicker would be softer yet but if you are adding a topper for both sides of the mattress a thicker topper may be riskier for your husband in terms of alignment.

There is also more information about zoning in post #11 here and while zoning can be an effective solution in more challenging circumstances … it can also be tricky to get the zoning right so that it’s suitable for your body type and sleeping positions and there really isn’t any way to predict whether a particular zoning system will work for someone until they’ve tried it in person.

The better sources for knit covers that I’m aware of are listed in post #4 here (including SleepEz who carries one) and post #4 here includes the ones that have a thinner stretch knit cover that may help you narrow down your options a little more.

The first step in choosing a “non toxic” mattress is deciding on the materials that meet your personal “safety” criteria so you can answer the question “how safe is safe enough for me?” on a personal basis because different people can have very different answers and be comfortable with materials that they consider to be “safe” that other people may not be comfortable with having in their mattress at all. Once you have decided on the materials you are comfortable with having in your mattress then finding a mattress that includes those materials becomes much easier. There is more information about choosing a “safe” mattress and some of the differences between “safe”, organic, natural, and green materials in post #2 here and the posts it links to that should be helpful.

I would start with what you already have though and see if there is a solution that would work for you before deciding to start all over again because you may already be most of the way there and only need a softer topper.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I really appreciate it. You are such a huge help (much better than the girl at SleepEZ whom I’ve been dealing with - She has not gotten back to me regarding whether they can give me discount on a new cover and has basically told me that my spine doesn’t have to be straight, my hips will always sink more and basically just encouraged me to return the mattress - frankly I am very tempted to do that and start over) Based on your advice though, I am looking for a topper, but am having a hard time finding something with a low ILD that doesn’t cost a fortune (we’ve already spend way more than we budgeted for :frowning: ). I’d also like to buy from someone with a good return policy just in case (although I completely trust your recommendations). I saw something on the Ultimate Sleep site and the Sleep Warehouse site, but I don’t know if they are trustworthy. Brooklyn Bedding has one with an ILD of 14, but they are out of stock and I need to see if something works pretty quickly or my return window for the bed will run out. I realized that in my last post, I forgot to specify that I am mostly a side sleeper, but sometimes wind up on my stomach. I also forgot to mention that we have a split king so I can put a topper on my side and not his. Would you then recommend that I go with a 3"? Also, do you think I’m better off with a soft-soft-firm or soft-soft-medium for the actual bed? If I get a topper, should I keep the wool cover for the main portion of the bed and get a separate cover for the topper or should I get a stretch cover that can also encase the topper (I saw one on the DIY natural bedding store that expands - any thoughts on that? Does anyone on this forum have one who can better describe it?). Again, thank you so much!!!

Hi Shopper,

I wouldn’t “completely trust” anyone’s recommendations (including mine) when it comes to choosing a topper because only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and what works well for one person may not work nearly as well for someone else. These are just “informed best guesses” that will need to be confirmed with your own sleeping experience and as you mentioned if you are uncertain then a good return or exchange policy can become a more important part of your purchase decision.

If you do decide to add a topper then post #2 here and the topper guidelines and sources it links to has more information that may be helpful.

These are all preference choices. There is more about how a separate topper may feel different from the same layer inside the cover in posts #3 and #4 here and in this topic. There is also more about the tradeoffs between a stretch knit cover vs a wool quilted cover in post #6 here.

Deborah at diynaturalbedding is very knowledgeable about the products they sell and a phone call to them will be your best source of information about their cover.

I didn’t notice in my last reply that you were in Phoenix and you have some great options in the Phoenix area to do some personal testing so you don’t have the same uncertainties of buying something that you haven’t had the chance to test in person. The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #4 here (which includes SleepEZ of course).

Phoenix

I just wanted to set the record straight: I called SleepEZ again today and spoke to somebody else. She was extremely helpful and my faith in them is completely restored. Unfortunately their extra soft topper is going to cost much more than I can afford right now. I was able to find one at UltimateSleepfor a reasonable place with a good return policy. They seem to have good ratings with the BBB and Amazon. Unfortunately I can’t find anything about them on this forum. Thanks again for all of your help.

Hi Shopper,

In my experience the people at SleepEz are exeptionally knowledgeable and experienced and provide good guidance to their customers so it’s good to see that you had a little bit better experience on your last phone call.

There is more about Ultimate Sleep in this topic. I would make sure you know the type and blend of latex that you are buying so that you can make good “apples to apples” comparisons because these toppers clearly aren’t Talalay.

Phoenix

Hi Shopper
Don’t know if I’ve caught you in time but with my MCS, I purchased a hand-tufted mattress made if cotton/wool and springs (locally made at Gardner Mattress in MA here but there are probably manufacturers in your area - buy directly from them and cut out the middle man.

For a natural latex topper I went to KTT Enterprises who gets their latex from Latex International. They are sort of the retail supplier and their prices are excellent. Any ILD, any size and they’re GREAT to deal with.

Best

BTW, I am also 5’2" and about your weight - and also a stomach and side sleeper!

All-latex did not give me the support I needed for stomach sleeping and zoned latex was even worse. It hit me in the wrong places because it is zoned for a certain height person.

This is why I went back to a spring mattress (for the support my stomach sleeping craved) - and added a topper (for side-sleeping softness.)

Combination sleeping like ours with stomach/side is tricky. It will never be perfect. Either the stomach sinks in too much or the side is too firm. So get the thinnest possible topper you can for stomach sleeping support, while still having it be thick enough for side sleeping.

I have done some returns with KTT and what I wish I got to start off with is this:
Either 1.5" of N2 (it’s about a 22 ILD)
OR
2 one-inch pieces cut in half to play around with (one N2 and one N3) Yes - we are that sensitive!
(The N3 is about a 28 ILD). In other words, you would have 4 half-inch pieces to try in different ways.

And don’t forget trying the firmer ILD pieces over the softer. I love that. Phoenix has a name for that type of layering which I forget now (hi Phoenix!)

Best

Hi LookingNow,

It’s called a dominant or dominating layer (see post #33 here).

Phoenix

Thanks LookingNow,
I’m as frustrated as ever. I’m now sleeping on medium, soft, medium with a stretch cover. It has helped with my legs and hips, but my shoulders are still uncomfortable. SleepEZ told me not to get a super soft topper as it will wear down very quickly and I will just compress it when I lie on it and it won’t make any difference. I agree with Phoenix and really think that I need a little bit thinner soft layer on top of the medium to give me some pressure relief. I think my hips will get through that and hit the medium so I’ll get good support there, but that my shoulders will still be in the comfort layer. So, I am trying to find a 2" soft topper. The problem is that I’m trying to find a seller with a decent price who offers the ability to return because this is completely a guess and i don’t want to shell out $300 only to be disappointed. I will try KTT although it looks like they only offer exchanges, not returns. Thanks!

Hi Shopper,

You may have seen this already because it’s in the topper guidelines but post #4 here includes some of the sources that have a return or exchange policy.

Phoenix

You’re welcome

I suggest starting with a 1" or 1.5" layer.
You might be surprised what that will do, esp on an all-latex mattress.

You don’t want too much foam as a comfort layer or you could start “going to the other side” again.

As for ILDs? For me, the N3 alone hurt, was too hard, which surprised me. I guess I thought I could get that “memory foam sink-in feel” I love so much. But latex is different, as we know.
Latex International’s natural N2 is perfect for me. If anything? A little soft on the stomach but GREAT for side sleeping.

As I’ve described above, I need more than 1" of it on my rock hard mattress so hopefully another 1/2" of it will do.
If not, i will add 1/2" of N3 under or above it.

It appears that a 2" soft natural talalay layer on top of two 3" medium layers with a stretch cover works, although I cannot say that I love it. My husband and I got a split king and now my side is 2" shorter than his. This definitely won’t work. I’m not sure where to go from here. Even though I returned a 3" layer in exchange for the 2" layer, I will need to buy another 2" layer so that my bed is the same height is his. We cannot afford to put any more money into this bed as it already cost more than we planned on and, again, I can’t say that I love the feel of it. Had I known what I needed from the beginning, we would have purchased a cheaper mattress (thinner with a stretch cover rather than the thicker organic one that we bought). So, it looks like we have to start over. Do you know of anywhere in the Phoenix area where we might try a latex/innerspring mattress? Or do you know of anyone that sells a similar configuration to SleepEZ where they have two 3" layers for the support layer and perhaps something a bit cushier for the top (but not too thick)? I think I need a bit more plushness on the very top, but it can’t be too much. I found that a 3" soft topper makes my arms fall asleep and a 3" soft comfort layer makes my thighs fall asleep (and my hips sink too much). I would like something with an oeko-tex certification and I want to be able to return the mattress if it doesn’t work (or at least try it out in a showroom) since it’s obviously difficult for me to get it right. Flobeds looks interesting, but I’m not sure which firmnesses would work and i don’t really want to spend a ton of money swapping layers (and any but the bottom of the line is too expensive). Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!

Hi shopper
How about ordering one 1" layer of soft for additional topper and one 1" medium to put underneath the soft top layers or at the bottom?
KTT will custom-cut talalay and Sleep On Latex will custom-cut Dunlop (both are the cheapest prices I have found for latex in the country.

OR

Phoenix will probably know if there’s a inner-spring mattress manufacturer near you who uses latex as a comfort layer. There may be a list on this site, so try to “search” for it of you haven’t already.

Hi LookingNow,

If you are sleeping well and “symptom free” and the only remaining issue is the difference in height between each of your two mattresses then it may be worth considering an ultra firm layer of polyfoam under his side so it will have the least possible effect on the feel of his mattress in terms of PPP at the lowest possible cost. The higher the ILD the better but it won’t be necessary to use the highest quality and something in the density range of 1.8 lbs in an ultra firm (50 ILD+ range) would probably be fine. There are sources for polyfoam layers in the component post I linked earlier (post #4 here to save you looking back). A 2" piece of ultra firm polyfoam in a twin XL size would be somewhere in the range of about $100.

I’m not so sure I would be starting over if I was in your shoes but if you do there would be several options in the Phoenix area (including SleepEZ) that would have a latex/innerspring mattress that are listed in the Phoenix link that I included earlier (it’s in post #4 here to save you going back with this link as well). I would make some phone calls first so that you can confirm which ones carry a latex/innerspring mattress that you are interested in testing before you visit them.

There are also other options in the area that also make component latex mattresses that may also fit your criteria although not all of them would have 3 layers (some may have a 6" core). Again I would call each of them and then visit the ones that you are most interested in testing.

All latex (Dunlop or Talalay made with natural or synthetic rubber or a blend) will have either an Oeko-Tex certification or an Eco-Institut certification which would be equivalent so from a “safety” perspective it really won’t matter which type or blend of latex you prefer.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix and LookingNow. I really appreciate it. Phoenix, I found a good price on “extra firm (70) high density foam 1.9 lb at FoamOnline, but I wanted to make sure that is the same as polyfoam. Also, do you have any suggestions on how to make my mattress just a hair softer? Would an extra soft 1” layer over my soft 2" layer work? Or potentially 1" of soft between my two 3" medium support layers? Is it even possible to find a 1" natural talalay layer (especially if I’m looking for extra soft)? Thank you again!!! You’re a real sleep-saver!!

Hi Shopper,

Yes … this is polyfoam and would be very firm.

As you can see in the topper guidelines here … a 1" topper would be “just a touch to a little” bit softer. KTT has 1" layers of all the Latex International Talalay latex ILD’s and the softest would be 14 ILD blended Talalay. If you add another inch to your side then you may want to add an extra inch under the other side as well. I would probably add the inch to your side first and then if it works well for you add enough thickness under his side to make the height the same on both sides.

Phoenix

Thanks again! Sorry, just to be clear would that polyfoam (70 ILD 1.9 lb) work to raise my mattress without changing the feel or is that too firm? They also have a 44 ILD. It’s actually my side that is 2" shorter than his. Do you think an extra soft (ILD in the teens) 1" topper do anything or just get compressed and not provide any softness at all (I weigh about 110lbs)?

Hi Shopper,

The firmer it is and the closer it is to a solid non flexing foundation (or any rigid surface that has no flex) the less it will affect the feel of your mattress.

Just to clarify my understanding, your husband is sleeping on 9" of latex and you are sleeping on 8" of latex … is that correct? I’m just not clear where the 2" difference in height is coming from.

If you are planning to add another inch of latex to your side then I would do that first to make sure it works for you and then add enough polyfoam under your mattress to make up any difference in height.

You can see my reply to the same question in my last reply here.

Phoenix