Searching for a King Memory foam for under $1000

So here is our scenario- my husband (6’2" 200lbs, every which way sleeper) and I (5’8" 160 lbs, side sleeper) are making the move from a Queen Simmons Beauty Rest we purchased just after getting married 12 years ago to a King (on account of having baby #4) Memory Foam (on the advice of our chiropractor and rave reviews from friends). We would like to stay under $1000.

We went to Fox Mattress to find a Memory Foam mattress and found a set we liked but it was way outside the price range… After reading up on this forum, I decided the 10" Ultimate Dreams mattress by Brooklyn Bedding on Amazon was probably similar and asked them about it:

MY EMAIL- We are very interested in purchasing one of your beds on Amazon, as the prices as so much lower than memory foam in the stores. I think your Ultimate Dreams 10" Gel Memory Foam Mattress most closely matches the bed we loved in the store. The store bed had 2 inches of 4 lb gel memory foam over a base of 30 ILD with a quilted cover, but the cost for the King set was $1499.

CHUCK’s RESPONSE- Thank you for looking into our products.
Our 10" Gel bed is going to be very similar to the bed you tried. Our bed has 3" of the 4 LB Gel and then a 32 ILD base foam underneath.

My husband and I still feel nervous about buying a mattress online, and I had trouble finding a reasonable foundation locally. Chuck said a wooden box kind would be fine. Most mattress stores were rude or couldn’t give me an exact price for just the foundation. I finally found one who would sell me a split king for $124. When I went into the store to order and pay for it, I saw the ecofriendly Mlily beds and tried out the Value Gel, which I LOVED. The king set is $898 and the memory foam is CertiPur. The bed is 2" gel core memory foam of 4.2 density , 2" Ultra Core memory foam of 4.6 density, and 6" of high resiliency base foam (their wording). This is a mattress liquidation place, and I didn’t get the sense the guy knew what those density numbers meant. I cannot find anything to know if it is above 3 lb density per your recommendations for longevity.

What are your thoughts? Is Chinese-made foam that is CertiPur US certifed safe as far as emissions (or at least as safe as USA made CertifPur foam)? I like the fact that Brooklyn Bedding uses foam Made in the USA, but we also like do business locally with a product we can actually lie on.

Hi inhislove,

The number you provided are the density (and they are 4 lb or better). The only number missing is the density of the base foam which is probably OK but I would want to know (and I believe that mLily would provide this to the retailer).

If they are a liquidator I would also make sure they are an authorized dealer for mLily and not selling used, defective, comfort exchange, or “scratch and dent” mattresses which may be used.

Yes … Certipur tests for the same things regardless of the country the foam was manufactured in and as you can see in the memory foam guidelines I use in post #10 here I would certainly consider Chinese foam that was certified. There are some good Chinese manufacturers and some poor ones and Health Care Foam who makes the foam in the mLily is one of the better ones. As long as you know the density of all the layers and it is either US made or CertiPur certified it would meet the guidelines I think are important.

Phoenix