Searching for Quality

Does anyone have experience with the Oregon Mattress Company (sold at Bedrooms and More) or the Saatva Company (online only).

Hi Stork,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet the best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability, durability, and value.

You can see an analysis and some feedback about the Saatva mattress in post #1 here and the rest of the topic and a forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well. In very general terms, for most people it would be a “better than average” quality/value choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers but it wouldn’t be in the same “quality/value” range as many of the other options that most of the members here would know about as a result of the information on the site and in the tutorial.

Unlike Saatva … The Oregon Mattress Company is a local manufacturer that makes a range of mattresses and outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. If you can provide the specifics of the layers and components in the mattress you are considering and post it on the forum (see this article), I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials in the mattress and the mattress as a whole and help you identify any potential weak links in its design

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for the reference to Saatva. I have read your tutorial and I am now looking for those local/specialty shops in the Seattle area. So far I have websites for Soaring Heart and Bedrooms & More. Saoring Heart has one innerspring set that is “very” pricey. The second one has several choices for innerspring mattresses (Englander, 2-Sided Classics, Oregon Mattress Company, Therapedic). I thought I would start there. If you know of other shops in this area, please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi Stork,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Seattle area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi:

Wife and I are in the gobbly-gook of mattress language

We both like firm mattresses that offer support for the lumbar and side sleeping.

The Memory Foam and/or Latex mattresses are like sleeping in a hot pool of water.

We visited the Bedrooms & More shop and not only like the personnel we found two mattresses that seemed to fit the bill.

The Hawthorne mfg by Sound Sleep in Washington and the Biscayne Firm mfg by Oregon Mattress Company in, where else, Oregon. Since both felt about the same on our brief test lie down, the $400 differential in price must be in construction.

Best I can tell they are both “wire tied” Interspring mattresses. Hawthorne w/ “High Performance 448 Coil (Full) with Lumbar Support Boosters. Biscayner w/ Foam Encased 660 Lura-Flex Coils”

The Biscayne states 1.5" of 0.18 soy poly foam while the Hawthorn states 1.5"" High Density Eco Flex (0.15 density?) comfort layer. Biscayne uses cotton blend in top quilting while Hawthorne uses 1.66" Eco Flex in the quilting.

Both are two sided.

Question is if the durability and construction of the Biscayne going to yield better long term performance? If so, why?

Thanks in advance
Tom

Hi MauleGuy,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

While I can’t speak to the “comfort” of a mattress or whether a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP because your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or personal experience is the only reliable way to know … outside of PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress is it’s durability and a mattress is only as good as its construction and the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

If you can find out the information listed here about the layers and components in both of the mattresses you are considering and post it on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to help you compare them to the quality/durability guidelines here and let you know whether I can see any obvious weak links in the mattress that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress. Without this information it’s not possible for me to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of any mattress.

As you can see in my comments in the Seattle list here … based on my previous conversations and experience with them the staff at Bedrooms and More is certainly knowledgeable and experienced and should be able to provide you with all the information you will need about the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses to make an informed choice.

There is also more about the pros and cons of two sided mattresses in post #3 here but they can certainly make a more durable choice than a one sided mattress that uses the same comfort layers on only one side of the springs.

Phoenix