Sedona Sleep

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of information on Sedona Sleep here yet so I thought I would post my experience so far.

I am replacing a 10+ year old IKEA mattress that I had extended the life of somewhat successfully with various toppers. I have a wooden slat foundation.

I had previously tried out a Brooklyn Bedding BME in medium but it didn’t work out. I eventually figured out that it didn’t have enough support for me (I’m slightly under 250 lbs and 6’7’‘). I discovered that I needed to replace the flexible wooden slats in my bed with something more stable for a foam mattress (which I have done - 1x4 boards spaced 2.5’’ apart).

I chose Sedona Sleep because the 4 different toppers seemed like a more flexible solution. I tried out the #32 firmness for the topper.

The combo ships as two separate packages. The topper package size is manageable but the base mattress is incredibly unwieldy. It does ship vacuum sealed, but it is not nearly as compressed as the BME mattress was. The package itself didn’t feel quite professional - it was literally two shorter boxes taped together. I guess they got a bulk discount for that box size…

The mattress and topper were both rolled up and tied with some nylon straps. These were a pain to untie since I didn’t want to cut them and risk accidentally damaging the mattress.

Overall I wasn’t overly impressed by the packaging, but then again it’s something you will only have to deal with once. It might be something to keep in mind if you are a smaller person and don’t have anybody to help you unpack it, because you are going to have major difficulties…

The topper has a noticeable odor. It doesn’t fill the room, but if you sleep on your stomach you will definitely notice it. I don’t remember the BME mattress have any off-gassing.

As for the comfort, I’ve only had it for a week so I haven’t come to any final decision yet. It seems a bit too firm so far but I realize this can change. I found out that neither one of my pillows work very well with it so I’m replacing those as well (I have a high-loft and a low-loft pillow for various sleeping positions).

I’ll try to remember to tack on anything else I have to add in the future.

Hi david_a,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and experience with Sedona Sleep … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made another great quality/value choice (after your BME) and I hope that your second try is a better “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences).

It’s good to see that you modified your support system because I think that this was part of the issues you were having with your first mattress.

It’s normal for latex to have an initial odor but this should dissipate fairly quickly (see post #2 here).

I’m not sure if you are experiencing any symptoms of pain or discomfort on your new mattress or if it just “feels like” it;s a little too firm but as you mentioned there will be a break in and adjustment period with any new mattress (see post #3 here) and your experience can certainly change over the course of the first few weeks. I hope that this mattress will turn out to be a more suitable choice after a few more weeks of sleeping on it but the good news is that you can also exchange the topper for a softer version if you need to.

I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share once you’ve slept on your mattress for a little longer.

Phoenix

After sleeping on it for a while now, I still think it’s too firm. Or rather, the latex comfort topper is too thin.

With the topper and base mattress the only halfway reasonable positions for me seem to be perfectly straight on my back or stomach. Any angle at all is painful, and sleeping on my side is right out (I can feel my spine being bent). However, neither of them is very comfortable. A mattress on the firmer side of things should at least be good for stomach sleeping, but I find that my knees get a lot of pressure.

I tried the base mattress by itself but it was completely out of the question (much too firm).

I have another topper from my previous bed that I also tried out. It’s 3 inches of a softer memory foam with a one inch firmer memory foam on top of that. I don’t know any of the real specs, but it’s softer than the Sedona latex topper I have.

The old topper on the base mattress was unusable. It felt like I sank right through the topper and onto an unyielding surface.

I was curious what would happen using all three - base mattress + latex topper + memory foam topper. It’s… actually better than I expected. I can feel that it’s not ideal, but side sleeping is almost comfortable and sleeping at an angle is mostly reasonable. It’s not good enough that I would consider it a long-term solution, but to me it seems to prove that I need a thicker comfort layer (I have fairly wide shoulders).

I’ll contact Sedona Sleep with these concerns but I’m not sure what they can really do, outside of maybe sending another topper to see how using two of them would work (we’ll see if they go for that).

Hi david_a,

Any memory foam would be softer than a 32 ILD layer of latex and it would make sense in your weight range that you would “go through” the memory foam and feel more of the firmness of the base layer underneath it.

Given your comments some additional thickness/softness would make sense although I would be cautious about comfort layers that are too thick/soft because it could be more risky in terms of alignment and the possibility of sleeping in a swayback position (causing lower back pain) when you are sleeping on your stomach.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding after your conversation.

Phoenix

Well, Sedona Sleep got back to me and suggested I try adding another 2’’ topper such as one of these. Those seem to be non-returnable so I’m not sure what to do. On the one hand I do think I need a thicker comfort layer, but if I guess wrong on the thickness/firmness I’ll be stuck with it.

Hi david_a,

While I can’t tell you what to do or know the level of risk you are comfortable with … if the only issue with a mattress is that it is too firm and there are no soft spots or sagging in the mattress then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination. If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market) can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success. A good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

If a mattress/topper combination turns out to be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP then having a separate topper also has the advantage of being able to replace just the topper without replacing the entire mattress if it softens or breaks down before the upper foam layers in the mattress (which is very likely because the upper layers of a sleeping system tend to soften or break down before the deeper layers) or if your needs or preferences change over time. A suitable topper can also help extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it because it will absorb much of the compression forces that can soften or break down the top layers of the mattress underneath it over time.

Outside of adding a topper (or possibly exchanging the comfort layer for a different firmness to see if it would improve your sleeping experience) your other alternative would be to return the mattress for a refund (less shipping costs) and choose a different mattress either locally or online that will hopefully be a better “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP.

Phoenix

I am replacing a 26 year old King sized Sealy posturepedic, and after a good bit of research, decided to try the Sedona Sleep. Thank you so much for this site. It is a great resource, and I’ve learned more than I would have known to ask about here!

I am a side sleeper and weigh about 130 pounds. I can sleep pretty much anywhere. My husband is a stomach and sometimes side sleeper and weighs about 200 pounds. He prefers a firm sleeping surface.

We set up our bed yesterday. In addition to the mattress, we bought the Knickerbocker monster bed frame because our previous one had a broken foot, and I didn’t trust its stability. We also got the 5.5" KD foundation from Sleep EZ. Sedona sells a KD foundation, but it was taller, and would have either made the overall height of the bed higher than I wanted, or I would have had to give up storage space under the bed and used a shorter frame. The foundation sold by Sleep EZ has a similar slat layout to the one from Sedona with the benefit for us of being lower profile and super easy to assemble.

[quote=“david_a” post=61037]The combo ships as two separate packages. The topper package size is manageable but the base mattress is incredibly unwieldy. It does ship vacuum sealed, but it is not nearly as compressed as the BME mattress was. The package itself didn’t feel quite professional - it was literally two shorter boxes taped together. I guess they got a bulk discount for that box size…

The mattress and topper were both rolled up and tied with some nylon straps. These were a pain to untie since I didn’t want to cut them and risk accidentally damaging the mattress.[/quote]

The mattress still ships in two taped together boxes. Inside the box, the mattress itself was vacuum packed in a plastic covering and rolled up. This roll was then in a plastic bag that had tape around the middle as well as near each end. Apparently, the nylon straps are no longer used. It was relatively straightforward to cut the plastic bag and free the rolled up mattress, then cut the plastic encasing the mattress and watch the expanding start. The mattress is quite heavy and a bit unwieldy, though. This was repeated for the topper which had been folded in half before it was rolled up.

The smell reminded me of my latex pillow when it was new (no surprise there). It wasn’t strong at all, and wasn’t noticeable on the second night.

Price range and quality of materials and construction resulted in a short list of options. I chose the Sedona Sleep from that list for two main reasons:

1. I like the idea of being able to replace just the topper when it breaks down given the comfort layers typically break down first. In theory, this will let me use the base mattress longer than if it was all one integrated mattress.

2. The topper comes in split firmness configurations in the Queen and King mattress sizes. I wanted a softer-than-firm comfort layer and my husband decidedly did not. I ordered a split 28 / 32 ILD topper. We’ve only slept on the bed once, and I know it’s too early to judge until after the break-in period. But I definitely prefer my side over his side, and he definitely prefers his side over mine, so at least we are on the right track.

I will update in a month or so.

Again, thanks to everyone contributing to this site, and especially to Phoenix. I definitely made a more informed decision because of you!

Hi danacc,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you decided to purchase … and for sharing such detailed comments and feedback as well … I appreciate it!

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any additional feedback you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a little longer.

Phoenix

I’ve done a boatload of research to replace our old memory foam mattress from foamsource.com (no longer made), and Sedona Sleep seems like a very good choice given the replaceable topper.
I do have some misgivings:

1. Lack of online reviews. Every other brand has a slew of reviews somewhere. When it gets into thousands of reviews, you can likely trust them. The only reviews I can find are on the company website, relayed by themselves.
  2. How long has this company been in business?
  3. Given their confidence in quality of product, why doesn’t their warranty match the longest in the industry?
  4. Following the above question, customers must pay return shipping cost. This is odd, as every other manufacturer I’ve seriously considered gives a 100 day trial without return shipping cost.
  5. I’m not much of a stickler, but their website could use a good proofreader to instill a bit more confidence.

I’ve written this and will call Sedona Sleep with these questions. I’ll post this topic with their response and my impressions after this call.

After a phone call gave me info I needed I will order a mattress from them.
1&2) They’ve only been making the Sedona Sleep mattress 6 months. This accounts for lack of reviews. I like the company and philosophy enuff to make the leap of faith and buy.
3&4) I forgot to ask about this. He did tell me he estimated it would cost $40-$50 to send the separate topper back for a different firmness and replacement.
5) I didn’t suggest having a proofreader tune up their website.
6) Additional info: He felt rotating the mattress every 6 months wouldn’t do much to prolong the life of a foam mattress. The topper is high quality talalay latex foam. Unique to this company, half will be softer for my GF and the side will be firmer for me. Contrary to what other manufacturers say, "One firmness does not fit all!

MountainSufi:

I’m glad you were proactive and you took the time to call the company to get answers to your questions. That’s often one of the best courses of action when considering a product online. Good for you!

There’s one part of your post that I’d like to comment upon, not for you, but more for those in the future who may quickly browse through this topic:

I really would advise against using online reviews for any meaningful analysis of a product. These reviews are usually made in the short-term, when any quality of item will generally feel better than what is being replaced. Additionally, these reviews are usually offered up by people unqualified to render an educated analysis about the actual composition of the product. And most often they are subjective, commenting upon personal preferences versus the actual quality of the product.

Reviews certainly can be helpful in learning about the reputation of a company (assuming the review are legitimate) and how responsive these companies are to questions or concerns, but otherwise I wouldn’t give them too much credence.

As a retailer, I can go online right now to quite a few different marketing companies and get 500 to 5000 positive reviews metered out over a period of time that I specify, depending upon my budget range. You can look online at some of the mattresses on Amazon that are the absolute worst in quality and durability, and they have 4.8 star ratings, just as an example. There are even other online brands who work hard to scour and cleanse the internet of any reviews that are negative toward their mattress, even going to the point of bribing consumers to change a review or threatening them with legal action if they don’t comply! So, reviews can often be extremely misleading.

Your best bet is to always focus upon the quality of the componentry in the mattress and how it is constructed. That will give you your best chance at success as far as durability goes. Then, conversations with knowledgeable retailers or the owners of the factory themselves will be the most assistive.

I’m glad you were able to get your questions answered, and good luck!

Also, I like this quote:

You are absolutely correct.

Hi MountainSufi,

Not surprisingly (because he is among the most knowledgeable people I know in the industry) I would echo Jeff’s comments about mattress reviews which are among the worst ways to choose a mattress.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular store or business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress so I would be very cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

Arizona Premium mattress is the manufacturer that makes the Sedona Sleep mattress and they have been in business online since 1997.

They are also one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, knowledge, service, and transparency.

Mattress warranties only cover defects in the materials or construction of a mattress and they don’t cover the gradual (or more rapid in the case of lower quality comfort layers) loss of comfort and support that is the main reason that most people will need to replace their mattress. In other words warranties have little to nothing to do with the durability or useful life of a mattress or how long it may be before you need to buy a new mattress and longer warranties are more about marketing than anything else. If there is an actual defect in the material it will usually show up early in the life of the mattress but knowing the quality and durability of the materials and components in a mattress are a much more reliable way to assess the durability and useful life of a mattress than the length of a warranty. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

So called “free” shipping or “free” exchanges are also just about marketing because the cost of returning or exchanging a mattress or individual layers are all built in to the purchase price of a product that offers “free shipping” or “free returns” so the majority of people who don’t return or exchange a mattress are the ones who pay for the minority that do. You can read more about exchange and return policies in post #25 here. Some manufacturers or retailers include the “real” return and/or exchange costs into the cost of their product and some manufacturers or retailers prefer to have them as a separate cost so only the people that return or exchange a mattress or a layer pay for it.

I agree with your comments here but there are many manufacturers and retailers in the industry that are much better at building good quality/value mattresses than they are at building websites.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Update: We have slept on this bed for over a year now, and we love it!

On our previous, obviously aged bed, I had started to have some hip and shoulder pain. I didn’t associate it with the mattress until I had slept on the Sedona Sleep for a few weeks. The pain went away and has not returned. My husband has had back pain for years, and knows well that his sleeping surface makes a big difference. This mattress system is working very well for him. He finds it supportive for his back, and quite comfortable.

We are so pleased that we bought a similar bed for our young adult daughter with the #19 topper. She loves it, too. (She says she finds it quite supportive, and believes I would prefer the 19, but a 19 / 32 split topper is not an option, and I am fine with the firmer 28. Still, I recommend going with the weight and sleeping style recommendations at the site like we did for my daughter unless you are trying to balance between different preferences like my husband and me.)

Hi danacc.

Congratulations on your daughter’s new mattress and topper from Sedona Sleep! You certainly found out from your personal experience now about the great quality/value of the products.
:cheer:

It’s great to hear that your choice worked out so well for you and thanks for returning here to share your sleeping experience with the mattress/topper combo after more than one year … I appreciate it!

I am looking forward to any other future comments or updates you or your daughter might have.

Phoenix