Seeking advice on King mattress under $750 as a side sleeper

As of this week, my Sterns & Foster Full size pillowtop is 10 years old so I have decided to buy something new. I was going to buy something today (black friday) but found nothing under $750 locally so started to search online. I’ve read most of the material on this website (thanks for this massive collection of seemingly unbiased information and forums!) but still have questions.

Due to durability issues, i’m leaning more toward innerspring/memory foam combo or latex because a lot of people report their pure memory foam mattresses indenting within a few months. If that is not typical please correct me. But at this time i’m leaning more toward latex or innerspring.

Here are some facts:

Firstly, I am a side sleeper and about 200lbs 5’10. More accurately i’m a 3/4 sleeper meaning 3/4 on my side and the rest on my stomach with my arm usually above me under the pillow. I am overweight by about 35lbs and keep this mostly in my stomach which translates to heavier indentation around my hips area. I am generally at a loss as to what kind of firmness would be ideal for me because of this.

Secondly, I’ve read in many places that modern mattresses use toxic materials to comply with fire retardant “slow burn” laws. These include arsenic or compounds that mimic arsenic. If this is true, are there king mattresses under $750 that do not contain these?

Thirdly, I’m in Austin, TX and would like some recommendations on where to test out mattresses. I’ve gone to some of the giant chain stores like factory and Mattress firm left them feeling highly pressured and of course finding nothing in my price range.

At this time these are the three mattresses that I liked under $750, one being a member of this forum:

Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress Ultra Plush - King $749
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-California/dp/B0077OC8CA/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=APCUWEOU23BHI

Simmons Beautyrest World Class Corita Plush Super Pillow Top $749
http://www.us-mattress.com/simmons-corita-pl-pt-king-matt.html#ReviewHeader

Sealy Posturepedic Cooper Mountain Plush Euro Pillowtop $649
http://www.us-mattress.com/sealy-pp-cooper-mountain-pl-ept-king-matt.html#ReviewHeader

If anyone could give me some pros and cons of each and answer my questions that would be extremely helpful. It seems there is no tax on any of these mattresses shipped to texas.

Thanks in advance!

Hi MeatCatalog,

I think the first thing I would suggest is to read post #1 here which has a step by step process and includes links to information that can greatly improve your chances of finding the best possible quality and value mattress that is suitable for your specific needs and preferences.

A mattress is only a good as the quality of the materials that are in it and in almost all cases the weak link of a mattress is the quality of the materials used in the upper or comfort layers of the mattress not the materials in the support core (which are usually an innerspring, polyfoam, or latex). All the different types of materials that are used in mattress comfort layers have lower and higher quality versions. This includes polyfoam, memory foam, and latex (the foams that are usually used in the comfort layers). The key is to know how to tell the difference. In the case of polyfoam and memory foam … foam density is the most important part of durability and in the case of latex the type and blend of latex plays the most important role in durability. since the weak link of most mattresses is in the upper comfort layers, this is the part where knowing what is in your mattress is particularly important.

There are no “pure” memory foam mattresses because memory foam is too soft to use as a support material and is only used in the upper layers of a mattress for pressure relief. All memory foam mattresses would have either polyfoam (most common), innerspring, or latex base layers under the memory foam. If the memory foam is lower quality (under 5 lbs density) then it would generally be the weak link of the mattress and the cause of most durability issues.

So what this means is that regardless of the type of materials you prefer, durability is directly connected to the quality of the material, especially in the comfort layers, more than the type of material itself. A memory foam mattress that has an innerspring underneath it for example can still present issues if the memory foam on top is low density.

[quote]
I am generally at a loss as to what kind of firmness would be ideal for me because of this.
[/quote].

A mattress is always a balance between softness and firmness together rather than one or the other. It needs to be firm enough in the deeper support layers to “stop” the heavier parts of your body from sinking in too far so your spine is in alignment when you sleep and the upper layers need to be thick and soft enough to relieve pressure on your pressure points and 'allow" your wider lighter shoulders to sink in far enough. There is more about this in the overviews that are linked in the post I mentioned earlier.

This is true in some cases and not true in others. It depends on the type of fire barrier the mattress uses. You can read about the types of fire barriers that are non toxic and safe at the end of this article and there is more in post #2 here along with and in post #4 here. If fire retardant chemicals are a concern to you then it would be a good idea to make sure you ask about the specific fire retardant methods used in a mattress you are considering.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Austin area are listed in post #2 here.

In terms of the mattresses you mentioned … the only one of that list I would consider would be the Ultimate Dreams which uses much higher quality materials than the other two you listed. They are also the only ones that actually list the materials they use and as the guidelines I linked to earlier suggest I would avoid the major brands (such as Simmons and Sealy) completely because they tend to use much lower quality materials in their mattresses (especially in the most important comfort layers) at every price point and in many cases they don’t disclose the materials they use at all.

Once you’ve done a bit of reading about the different mattress materials and components and know how to eliminate the worst choices (such as major brands and chain stores) … then it’s time to begin testing mattresses by connecting with better manufacturers and sleep shops in your area that have the types of mattresses you are most interested in testing are more committed to “educating” you than “selling” you and who will put your interests ahead of their own. This way you will be in a great position to find a mattress that not only matches your needs and preferences but is the highest possible quality and durability in your budget range as well.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix”]
Hi MeatCatalog,

I think the first thing I would suggest is to read post #1 here which has a step by step process and includes links to information that can greatly improve your chances of finding the best possible quality and value mattress that is suitable for your specific needs and preferences.

A mattress is only a good as the quality of the materials that are in it and in almost all cases the weak link of a mattress is the quality of the materials used in the upper or comfort layers of the mattress not the materials in the support core (which are usually an innerspring, polyfoam, or latex). All the different types of materials that are used in mattress comfort layers have lower and higher quality versions. This includes polyfoam, memory foam, and latex (the foams that are usually used in the comfort layers). The key is to know how to tell the difference. In the case of polyfoam and memory foam … foam density is the most important part of durability and in the case of latex the type and blend of latex plays the most important role in durability. since the weak link of most mattresses is in the upper comfort layers, this is the part where knowing what is in your mattress is particularly important.

There are no “pure” memory foam mattresses because memory foam is too soft to use as a support material and is only used in the upper layers of a mattress for pressure relief. All memory foam mattresses would have either polyfoam (most common), innerspring, or latex base layers under the memory foam. If the memory foam is lower quality (under 5 lbs density) then it would generally be the weak link of the mattress and the cause of most durability issues.

So what this means is that regardless of the type of materials you prefer, durability is directly connected to the quality of the material, especially in the comfort layers, more than the type of material itself. A memory foam mattress that has an innerspring underneath it for example can still present issues if the memory foam on top is low density.

Phoenix,

I want to thank you for all the great info!

I wound up ordering the ultimate dreams latex mattress in a softness rating of 7. Hopefully the free latex pillow is included in the order.

Once I get it and i’ve slept on it a few nights i’ll come back and report my findings or write a full review.

Once again, great website and info!

Hi MeatCatalog,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve received it and had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

If you let them know you were a member here when you made your firmness selection, they will certainly send you the “bonus” pillow. I haven’t heard about an instance yet where it was missed.

EDIT: They have now started to use promo codes for the forum discount so make sure you either call, email, or use their chat to provide them with your member name here BEFORE you order so you can get the code and the discount/bonus.

Phoenix