Seeking help on my next mattress selection - Plushbeds Memory Foam Mattress

Hello everyone,

I recently have tried the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever (Medium) and the 4sleep mattress. With the BME, I felt the medium was a bit too firm and that latex was not the feel I was looking for, with memory foam being a better fit for me. While I liked that latex resembled my old innerspring mattress, I realized that memory foam may be the way to go when I called Brooklyn Bedding and they offered to send me a complimentary memory foam mattress topper. I really like how plush the top memory foam layer felt like, and unfortunately, the 4sleep mattress has a much firmer feel that doesn’t suit me.

I’ve been utilizing TMU to get a better idea of what a next option would be for me, where I stumbled upon the company Plushbeds. Short story is (UPDATE: After typing up this so called ‘short story’, I realized it is definitely not short at all :cheer:), that after talking with one of the sales representatives, he believed the 12 inch Coolbliss mattress would be the best option for me. This would provide a top layer of memory foam with a layer of latex below it to avoid the sinking and trapped feeling, while still maintaining a plush feel… I just wanted to mention that I couldn’t help notice the sales person was a little bit aggressive when I was speaking with him, telling me the sale ends tomorrow and their running out of the free pillows, sheets, etc. He did spend ample time with me though to answer my questions. With their holiday $500 discount and a small additional discount he gave me, the mattress came out to about $1250 with a retail price of $1850 and I decided to jump on it since it comes with a 100 day trial period. I thought at the time, from looking at their natural latex mattresses collection and their certifications, it seems like this is a quality mattress and I have not much to lose by trying it out.

I was wondering:

1. Does anyone have experience with Plushbeds, especially the Coolbliss and Heavenly Plush? I am debating whether I made the right choice. The only difference between the two is that the Coolbliss has 3" 4.0lb GEL foam whereas the Heavenly Plush has 3" 4.0 Soft Memory foam. Everything else is the same barring the texture of the cover. What can I expect these two mattresses to feel like in comparison to each other with that top layer? I am trying to replicate that initially plush soft feeling I experienced when putting the topper on my BME with the strong support below, and unsure of how ‘firm’ the GEL foam would feel compared to the SOFT memory foam, and if it is worth the sacrifice in coolness to achieve that level of comfort. Plushbeds advertises that even it’s Heavenly Plush is cooler than most memory foams as it is, however I do spend quite a bit of time in bed reading and watching TV and have been getting very warm with my BME.

2. Is the price I paid for this mattress considering the quality of these materials a good value? I’m not sure if their ‘amazing’ holiday promotion is really something more common and representative of a price I should be paying anyways for this type of mattress? I guess I’ve grown weary after seeing dozens of online mattress companies tout sales all the time for their products.

Thank you very much in advance. Below are the mattress specifications and links for the two Plusbed mattresses:

12" Heavenly Plush

Luxurious Stretch Cover with Tencel
3" 4.0LB Soft Memory Foam
2" Medium 100% Natural Latex
2" convoluted 2.5LB HD high density support foam
5" 2.5LB HD high density support foam

12" CoolBliss
3" 4.0LB Soft GEL Memory Foam
2" Medium 100% Natural Latex
2" convoluted 2.5LB HD high density support foam
5" 2.5LB HD high density support foam

PS: I am not sure if I allowed to post prices paid so please let me know if this is a violation and I will remove.

Hi ozenfu,

[quote]
I recently have tried the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever (Medium) and the 4sleep mattress. With the BME, I felt the medium was a bit too firm and that latex was not the feel I was looking for, with memory foam being a better fit for me.[/quote]
I’m sorry these mattresses didn’t turn out for you as well as you had hoped, but at least you had the foresight to purchase something that had a good return/exchange option.

The memory foam placed on top of the BME will be a more “gradual” transition into the deeper latex layers, where it 4sleep will be a bit of a different feel with a little firmer feel as you sink into the product, which I think is what you’ve discovered.

You can see some of my comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here . A forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. They generally use good quality and durable materials in their mattresses and they would certainly be a much “better than average” choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses that most people end up buying. However, they do a lot of internet advertising so they do attract a lot of online attention with large “discounts”, so I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other options that are available to you because they may not be in the “best value” range for many of the members here that are aware of the many other similar options that are available to them.

You can see my comments above about the advertising of Plushbeds, and it sounds like you experienced some of that with your phone call to them. At least you did again purchase an item that has a good return/exchange option should things not turn out as well for you as you desire.

The answer to this would be the same as I replied to you in an earlier post, but for the ease of reference… It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Additionally, while other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews or other people’s experiences in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

The top layer of memory foam in the Cool Bliss has a small amount of gel in it, which can assist with an initial cooler sensation or “hand feel” when you first try out the mattress. However, this will tend to even out rather quickly at which point the gel in the foam will become loaded and your body temperature will take over as the main determinant of mattress temperature. In very general terms, gel and/or other thermal conductive or phase change materials can have “some effect” on the sleeping temperature of a particular material but how much of an effect they will have and how long the effect will last will depend on the specific formulation of the material and on the “combined effect” of all the other materials and components of the sleeping system including your sheets, mattress protector, and bedding. Many thermal conductive or phase change materials tend to have a more temporary effect when you first go to sleep at night or over the first part of the night than they will over the entire course of the night. If you desire, you can read more about phase change materials in post #9 here and at the end of post #4 here) and you can read more about the various different types of gel foams in post #2 here.

Overall, the densities of the foams you listed in each mattress are all in the range of better quality materials, with the exception of the 4 lb. memory foam, which I would caution for individuals in a weight range of 200 pounds or so and above.

You can see my comments above about the inability for anyone to accurately predict what a mattress might feel like for someone else. Plushbeds does rate the Cool Bliss just a bit firmer than the Heavenly Plush, and this may be due to the small amount of gel in the upper memory foam layer, which can make the memory foam feel a bit firmer, although all memory foam is a quite plush product as far as ILD goes.

All foams are an insulator to some extent, and it’s not really possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials. There is much more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

The materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for). I also commented a bit above about the advertising practices of Plushbeds, and I would focus more upon the final price you paid, as opposed to any “discounts” you received.

The pricing you listed was for informational purposes regarding your purchase and not promotional in nature, so no worries!

As an additional note, do you still have the BME with the memory foam topper? I’d be interested in your personal opinion of how it compares to your new mattress (once you receive it) side by side.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix!

Yes, I still do have the BME. However, since my last post and after sleeping with the foam topper for a few days I started to develop some lower back pain when on my stomach so had to remove it. I did not experience this issue when placing the foam topper on the 4sleep mattress, however I only slept on that mattress for 1 night with the topper. The BME medium itself is definitely too firm for me as I am having issues with a lot of push back and pressure. Unfortunately, I will most likely resort to returning the mattress.

While I wait for my Plushbeds Coolbliss to come, I am researching more into latex mattresses. I think with the BME, I needed something softer and also a cover that allows me to feel the latex more directly. That, or the possibility of placing the comfort layer as a topper itself that sits on top the cover and below the sheets/mattress protector and allows me to feel the latex even more directly. For this, I am interested in sleeponlatex. I find this company and latex mattress factory compare very similarly. The only issue is that I ‘think’ I am interested in talalay latex as I am trying to replicate that soft plush feeling I had with my memory foam (although, I know this cannot be identically replicated as memory foam is vastly different). However, according to sleep on latex, I learned that even Dunlop can feel very soft, even though it is more dense material than talalay. What really made me want talalay latex was this video by savvy rest. When she pushes her hands in the soft talalay as opposed to the dunlop, it seems to feel much more plush and comfortable for a top layer. So, if Plushbeds doesn’t work out, I am deciding whether I should order just a core 7 inch base from sleeponlatex (Dunlop) and buy a separate 2-3" talalay topper, and if that is all that is needed. (With this talalay topper, I still need to do more research to see the what the difference would be between natural and mixed latex in terms of durability and feel). Or, if I should order the all Dunlop 9 inch base+comfort mattress from them in medium (the comfort layer would then be a soft in this layout). With the second option, I am worried about how the mattress would support me if I still decide I need to go with an additional talalay soft topper because then it would be sitting on top of an already soft dunlop layer. Just for reference, I am a 155lbs and 5’7 and sleep primarily on my side and stomach.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: youtube.com/watch?v=5hTFilYJp5A

Thanks,

oznefu :slight_smile:

Hi oznefu,

This would be quite a bit of plush material for the upper layers of a mattress when sleeping prone, and would generally be contraindicated.

I did not experience this issue when placing the foam topper on the 4sleep mattress, however I only slept on that mattress for 1 night with the topper.
As you mentioned, that’s not enough of a test to try it out, but again you’re probably looking at something that is too soft on the surface for overall support for a prone sleeper.

I’m really worried that you’re starting to wind down the rabbit hole of “theory at a distance” and reading and acquiring information, even before you’ve received and tried out another mattress that you’ve ordered. Unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience with different types of mattress materials and components and their specs and different layering combinations and mattress designs and how they combine together and can translate them into your own “real life” experience that can be unique to you (which would generally be a very small percentage of people) … I would tend to avoid using complex combinations of specifications to try and predict how a mattress will feel or perform for you. When you try and choose a mattress based on complex combinations of specs that you may not fully understand or only based on specs for single layers or components that may not be as relevant or meaningful as you believe they are then the most common outcome is “information overload” and “paralysis by analysis”. To help avoid this, I’m going to try and be as succinct as I can in providing some comments on your statements and try not to complicate some of the theories you’re coming up with, and hopefully I can be more helpful in this manner.

The upper layer of the BME is Talalay latex, and the cover is a stretch knit that is quite flexible, with a small amount of rayon fiber quilted to it. You certainly could order a topper that “only” has a stretch knit cover around the product, but this likely wouldn’t make as much of a difference as a change in the actual ILD of the upper latex layer.

Their 6" latex cores are Dunlop and similar in that manner.

Yes, these are totally different materials, so trying to replicate the feel of memory foam using latex wouldn’t make much sense. But you seem to like a bit of a softer surface comfort, so when using latex you’d probably desire a lower ILD.

Dunlop can be made in plush ILDs, just like Talalay. It is true that for similar ILDs, the Dunlop will feel a bit “firmer” due to the difference in compression modulus.

That would be a personal preference and I know not something that one can easily deduce from a video. Many people do prefer the more buoyant feel in the upper comfort layer of Talalay, but that’s a general statement of course.

I guess I wouldn’t worry about this until you’d actually had a chance to try the mattress that you ordered. But a core with only a 2"-3" Talalay topper would generally feel “firmer” overall that the BME that you’ve considering returning.

There would be very little difference in durability and feel, to the point that very few people could be able to notice the difference. Both types of material would be high quality and durable and the difference would come down to pricing and your own personal preference of components used to make the product.

I don’t recommend mattresses for people, as there are entirely too many variables involved to be able to perform such a task, and also because you are considering entirely too many “what if’s” and potential combinations before even trying out something that you’ve ordered and not even received yet and have had a chance to try.

My best suggestion would be for you to take a break from all of your reading and “reset” how you are going about things. With that in mind, here is a bit of information for you to consider that I’ve “drilled down” to some basic principles.

While it’s not possible to be specific … in very general terms and based on “averages” … Stomach sleepers have the flattest and least “curvy” sleeping profile of all and so they tend to need a firmer mattress yet with thinner and/or firmer comfort layers to reduce the risk of their pelvis sinking into the mattress too much and sleeping in a swayback position which can put considerable strain on the lower back and also lead to lower back pain. Stomach sleeping is the “riskiest” sleeping position in terms of back and neck strain (the head is turned sideways which can strain the neck). Side sleepers tend to need a softer mattress because the body has more curves that need to be “filled in” to provide suitable support (such as the waist) and more “bony prominences” (such as the hips and shoulders) that need to sink in more to relieve pressure when you are on your side and generally need thicker and softer upper layers that can contour to the shape of the body more effectively and more deeply.

You’ve commented that the BME mattress was too hard for you (I’m guessing when on your side), but too soft when using the topper on your stomach. You said there was too much “pushback”, which is a common characteristic of latex, in that it is resilient. But resilience and hardness of the foam are two different things. You’ve also stated multiple times that you prefer the upper comfort layer of memory foam (not as much “pushback”).

So, to put this all together…“comfort” is derived mainly from the upper layers of the mattress. You don’t like too much resilience, and like the feel of memory foam, so a mattress with an upper layer of memory foam would seem logical. As you spend time prone (on your stomach), the mattress can’t be too soft on top, as this would allow your lumbar area to sink in too much and it would hurt your back (as you experienced with the BME and the memory foam topper combination). But in addition to this, you also sleep on your side, which requires of course surface comfort, but more ability to conform because of the difference in width between the hips/waist/shoulders. And of course in both sleeping positions you need good support, which is provided primarily by the deeper layers within the mattress.

A combination of memory foam on top, with a transition layer of latex (not as much latex as the BME has - 4" - because you didn’t like that), and then some sort of a base foam material (poly foam or latex) might, in theory, be a good combination for someone in your particular requirements.

I would give your new mattress a chance first and see if you like that – it may very well be the “cat’s meow”. :slight_smile: If it isn’t, use the feedback you get from sleeping upon that mattress, along with your feedback from the other mattresses you’ve returned, to begin your search anew. But I would wait until you’ve tried your new mattress before further investigating more “potentials”, what if’s" and “maybes”, as it can get incredibly overwhelming very quickly.

I hope the new mattress ends up being exactly what you want!

Phoenix

[quote=“oznefu” post=67772]

I just wanted to mention that I couldn’t help notice the sales person was a little bit aggressive when I was speaking with him, telling me the sale ends tomorrow and their running out of the free pillows, sheets, etc. He did spend ample time with me though to answer my questions.[/quote]

I had the same experience when I called Plushbeds to get more clarification on their latex mattresses. The sales guy really put on the hard sell. I ended up committing to something, but now I’m having second thoughts. I hung up feeling like I had been to the car dealership. I’m not enjoying that feeling.

Not sure if this is OK or not but you might find that shopping with an online store a more comfortable and rewarding experience. Since our stores are online you can’t try out the bed ahead of time so we all have to offer liberal return policies. At Linebacker Mattress we give you 90 days from the day your receive the mattress. And you will NEVER be pressured by anyone at Linebacker Mattress, and other online retailers because we return the beds no questions asked with a full refund, even shipping cost. Because of that we don;t want you to purchase a bed that isn’t right for you.

Hi Linebacker Mattress,

I’ve deleted your posts, as they are promotional and violate the rules of the forum. You’re certainly welcome to contribute knowledge or fact-based information in the future.

Phoenix

Hi kajale,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You can see some of my comments about Plushbeds in post #2 here . A forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up much more information and comments/feedback about them as well. They generally use good quality and durable materials in their mattresses and they would certainly be a much “better than average” choice compared to most of the mainstream mattresses that most people end up buying. However, they do a lot of internet advertising so they do attract a lot of online attention with large “discounts”, and there have been comments of some of their sales people being a little too “aggressive” for some people, so I would make some careful “value comparisons” with some of the other options that are available to you because they may not be in the “best value” range for many of the members here that are aware of the many other similar options that are available to them.

Another option you may wish to consider is to look online and use the experience and expertise of the members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex option included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency. Their detailed knowledge of their mattresses and how they fit with different body types and sleeping positions along with your feedback from local testing, a customer base of many people that they can use as reference points, and any exchange, return, or any options they have available to customize a mattress after a purchase can help lower the risk of an online purchase.

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix!.

There was a glitch in the billing, so I used the chance to just cancel out my order. Will try again with a less pushy company.

Hi kajale,

I’m sorry you had to cancel your order, but of course you want to feel comfortable with any business with which you have dealings.

There are quite a few vendors, local and online, who offer all-latex mattresses. You may wish to start your new search with members listed in post #21 here who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Good luck in your new search, and feel free to post back if you have any new questions.

Phoenix