Seeking local mfg in Houston, TX area

Just found this site while researching a couple of mattresses.

Considering Glideaway Polaris 11″: Memory Foam (Queen)
11" Hybrid Mattress
2″ TruGel™ + Charcoal Advantage Plus Memory Foam
• Aerated for maximum breathability (no density info)
2″ Gentle Support Transition Foam
5″ Synergy Support System
• 7" Individually Wrapped Steel Pocket Coil System, heat tempered and pre-compressed
2" Body Support Base

Also Sleep Science Carina (Southbay International)
11" Queen Gel Memory Foam
2" Top layer 3lb density gel-infused Visco for temperature balancing comfort
2" 2nd layer 4lb density Visco for a plusher mattress
1" 3rd layer latex support
Patented Wedge support system
6" Bottom layer Air Channel base, relief cut urethane core

Would love to consider a local manufacturer!
Thanks

Hi IndieDave,

There is more about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

[quote]Considering Glideaway Polaris 11″: Memory Foam (Queen)
11" Hybrid Mattress
2″ TruGel™ + Charcoal Advantage Plus Memory Foam
2″ Gentle Support Transition Foam
• 7" Individually Wrapped Steel Pocket Coil System, heat tempered and pre-compressed
2" Body Support Base[/quote]

Unfortunately the specs you listed are missing the density of all the foam layers which means that it’s impossible to make any meaningful comments about the quality or durability of the materials or the mattress “as a whole”. If you can find out the missing density specs and post them on the forum then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the mattress and let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern. If for any reason the retailer you are dealing with either can’t or won’t provide you with the information you need then I would assume that they are lower quality materials and I would avoid any mattress that has more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality or “unknown” materials.

[quote]Also Sleep Science Carina (Southbay International)
11" Queen Gel Memory Foam
2" Top layer 3lb density gel-infused Visco for temperature balancing comfort
2" 2nd layer 4lb density Visco for a plusher mattress
1" 3rd layer latex support
Patented Wedge support system
6" Bottom layer Air Channel base, relief cut urethane core[/quote]

The top 2" of this mattress is 3 lb memory foam which is lower density than I would suggest in the guidelines and I would avoid this mattress as well.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Houston, TX area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks for your detailed reply!

Got an email on the foam layers from Glideaway" Angie Tinsley, Karketing Director.
“We don’t typically publicize the exact specifications of our products because it is proprietary information, but I can give you some information.”

Glideaway Polaris 11″: Hybrid Memory Foam

2″ TruGel™ + Charcoal Advantage Plus Memory Foam (3-3.5#lb foam)
2″ Gentle Support Transition Foam (2-2.5#lb foam)

2" Body Support Base

Doesn’t seem too great, but the local mfg direct cos you directed me too had some similar specs. Actually, Texas Mattressmakers, a member here, didn’t have the density posted in the showroom,. and directed me to their website, where I couldn’t find it either! Max offered a 10% discount and did say if not satisfied, we could do up to three exchanges for just cost of delivery, $80 and if still not happy, they’d issue a refund.

Houston Mattress Factory’s owner, Michael was very helpful with the info and spent a long time with me and the wife showing and telling. Said if we brought it back, he’d re-do it to make it softer or harder if we liked.

Hi IndieDave,

Thanks for the update.

I would agree that the density of the top 2" of memory foam is lower than the guidelines I would suggest and I would consider it to be a potential weak link in the mattress. If the “gentle support transition foam” is polyfoam then it’s a good quality/density material but I would also want to know the type and density of the 5" synergy support system as well. In many cases a retailer can provide you with information through their rep that a wholesale manufacturer won’t provide directly to consumers (their customer support services are normally set up to deal with retailers and not directly with consumers).

Most manufacturers or retailers don’t provide density specs on their website or in their showroom because most consumers have no idea what they mean and it would end up confusing them more than helping them. It’s possible that the salesperson you were dealing with wasn’t clear what you were asking but Texas Mattress Makers will provide foam density information for consumers that are informed enough to specifically ask.

As you mentioned they also provide their customers with foam density information so that you can make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of their mattresses.

Regardless of the manufacturer … I would always make sure that any mattress you are considering uses good quality/density materials so that you can confirm that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the design that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix