Seeking lower-priced substitute for Tempurpedic Rhapsody Luxe

My wife and I live in the Washington, DC area. I’m a dense (i.e., heavier than I look) 6 ft. 185lbs., and she is similarly built at 5’5".

After several years of sleeping on Japanese futons directly on the floor, we are starting to not sleep well and are shopping for a Western-style bed. In the past week we have tried out ~100 mattress at major retailers, including the full Tempurpedic lineup. The only mattresses we have been satisfied with have been the Tempurpedic Contour series, particularly the Contour Rhapsody Luxe. Back support is our number one priority, and this bed seems to have a unique construction that works for us.

However, we are balking at the price of the Rhapsody Luxe. Questions:

1. Does anyone know of any other mattress that can match its feel at a lower price?

2. How would the durability compare?

3. For online purchases with full return policies, what does it take prepare the mattress, foundation, and frame for return shipment?

Thank you!

Hi Hypnos,

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

The mattress shopping tutorial includes a link to a list of the better online memory foam retailers/manufacturers that I’m aware of (in the optional online step) and many of them make memory foam mattresses that are designed to be closely comparable to the Tempurpedic lineup in terms of comfort/support and include which of the Tempurpedic mattresses they approximate in their description.

The single biggest factor in the durability of a memory foam mattress is the density of the memory foam and polyfoam layers (particularly the memory foam layers that are closest to the surface which are generally the “weakest link” of a mattress. There is more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress in post #4 here but if the foam densities in a mattress are the same or very similar then the durability will be closely equivalent.

It varies by the manufacturer or retailer so the method and any costs involved aren’t the same but generally you would need to wrap the mattress in plastic and put it in a box and if they pay for return shipping then they will arrange to have it picked up and returned or provide instructions on how to return it.

Foundations and frames typically can’t be returned (they can be used under another mattress) … only the mattress.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Washington, DC area (subject to the “value” guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here but you would need to compare any local memory foam mattresses that aren’t specifically described as approximating a specific Tempurpedic mattress (which are more common with online manufacturers) based on your own personal testing and experience and compare durability based on the density of the foam layers inside them.

There may also be some other mattresses that don’t necessarily “match” the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Luxe that would also be a good choice and there is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that is the most suitable “match” for your specific needs and preferences and how to identify and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for that are involved in each of them in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for the helpful links, and the note about density and durability. Looks like we have more work to do.

Regarding ‘feel’ I should have been more precise. My wife and I are both back sleepers. The reason we like the Rhapsody Luxe is that it seems to support us with equal pressure at all points. The other Tempurpedics Contours are a bit weak in the back, and the other memory foam models we’ve tried have been too weak in the back and uncomfortably firm at other points.

Hi Hypnos,

While “feel” itself is very subjective … what you are describing is a function of what I commonly refer to as PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

While it’s not necessary to know this because careful testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial will do a good job of telling you which mattresses are suitable for you without having to know the “why” behind the “what” … if you are interested there is more about primary or “deep” support and secondary or “surface” support and their relationship to firmness and pressure relief and the “roles” of different layers in a mattress in post #2 here and in post #4 here that may also be helpful in clarifying the difference between “support” and “pressure relief” and “feel”.

Phoenix

Oh dear…I went the Tempur Pedic route a few months ago, tried them all out for a few weeks and also went with the Rhapsody Luxe model. I HATE IT!!!
First off, the off-gassing smell took weeks to get rid of, even with windows open, AC and Fans on.
The mattress is so stiff (much firmer than in the showroom) that I have been getting pain across my shoulders and lower back. I contacted the store and Tempur Pedic directly, and was kept told it takes time to break in.
Well after 10 weeks, I couldn’t stand it any more and told them it would have to go back.
I tried out the other models again, and thought about changing to the softer Cloud Luxe, but then decided to try out other brands.
After about a month of looking, I liked the following…Aireloom Silverton (springs with euro top) and Prana Samadhi (Latex) at City Mattress (South FL), Savvy Rest (latex) at Mattress Xperts. But pricing again is a bit high for me. The thing I like about the Savvy Rest is the latex layers are customizable for you, and are easy to swap out. But it was $4500.
So for half the price I went with the Sleep EZ Organic 10" Mattress at $2100. But I also went with the flat Tempur bases instead of the wood-slat base.
Next week the Rhapsody is being picked up, and the Sleep EZ is being delivered.

If you get a Tempur Pedic I would highly recommend you get it from a place that will allow you to return it if you don’t like it.

If you’re in the DC area, it wouldn’t hurt to pay a visit to Urban Mattress in Vienna. They’re very welcoming and offer a no-pressure (pun intended) atmosphere with mattresses at many price points. They have tempurpedics but also carry some less expensive memory foam options. They probably won’t give you the full specs but if you do some searches here for the exact models you should be able to get the answers. I ended up buying from them because I felt confident in their customer support.