Seeking Recommendation for Bed Stricken

Background
My father has prostate cancer that has metastasized to his bones. Unfortunately, he never had high PSA levels, which is the usual sign of prostate cancer, so it was just caught last year when he slipped on ice and fractured his hip. No treatment has worked thus far, so the oncologists have ceased all treatment, and have projected his lifespan to from a few weeks or a few months. I’m not in denial but we all know that people often outlive those projections as not everyone really knows, so we are trying to make him comfortable but not giving up by a long shot.

As of late, my father has severe arthritic back pain and has difficulty getting up out of bed by himself. The cancer is now believed to spread to his back. He has become bed stricken, getting up only to use the bathroom or to shower, in which, both have become huge endeavors.

In order to try and help him manage, we moved an old full-size Baker Bilt innerspring mattress out of the master bedroom into the garage . We set up an adjustable single bed in its place that a friend gave us with a Sinomax mattress made up of 88% polyurethane foam and 12% gel; however, I can attest from personal experience that I’m always sore whenever I spend the night in that bed. Plus, my father feels he never has enough room as it’s just a single bed. As a result, he has moved over to a five-year old full-sized Sealy Posturepedic Preferred Series Impress Firm innerspring bed that my mother has been sleeping on in the guest room. By the way, I looked at all the mattresses tags in the house so I could reference them in this post. It’s not like I usually know this stuff. :slight_smile:

My mother and I would like to purchase a new adjustable bed frame and a queen’s size mattress for three purposes.

1. The Adjustable Bed Frame would make it easier for him to sit up in bed to eat and drink as well as get up.
    [li]The Queen’s size mattress would give more room than a single[
    [li] A secondary goal is to get a bed that my mother will like as well. She doesn’t plan on sleeping in it at first but may do so or it may be her bed alone if my father passes./li]

At this point, my father is laying in bed all day, and needs someone that he can grab on to so he can pull himself up to get out bed to go to the bathroom. I need to determine what’s the best bed for him to be in, but he is not up for going to different stores to try mattresses out.

Dilworth Mattress Factory
Today, my mother went shopping at the Dilworth Mattress Factory in Charlotte, NC. I tested an Lennox mattress in the store and remarked how it felt like my own personal mattress at my home. The owner looked up my name in his records and confirmed that I had purchased a Lennox innerspring Lennox mattress back in 2000.

We told the owner what we were looking for, and he suggested a Legget and Platt S-Cape adjustable bed with a latex mattress as he believes the innerspring mattresses will not work as well nor last as long on an adjustable bed frame. The recommended mattress was The Performance, which is made up of three different layers of Talalay latex (blend of 60% natural and 40% synthetic). These are the specs that they provided for The Performance model.

[ul]
[li]1.5-inch Soft Layer (ILD 24)[/li]
[li]2-inch Medium Layer (ILD 28)[/li]
[li]6-inch Firm Layer (ILD 36)[/li]

[/ul]Both my mother and I liked The Performance but we preferred The Blue Heaven model which is 6" of firm natural Talalay latex with a base foam. We preferred how firm it was, but the owner said that The Performance was a better choice for someone laying in bed all day since it was softer at the top and better with pressure points. If my father doesn’t feel that it’s firm enough, we can simply change the order of the layers ourselves. In other words, I can open up the mattress and move the 2-inch medium layer to the top and the 1.5 inch soft layer to the middle or I can move the 6-inch firm layer to the top. The idea here is that I had more options available with this tri-layer latex construction.

I also told the owner that I have moved back in with my parents and was sleeping on the couch. Since my father doesn’t like the single adjustable bed, I was considering ordering a Tufs and Needles mattress Twin XL for $375 to replace the Sinomax mattress. He told me that he would buid me a twin xl innerspring mattress if I preferred to put on the adjustable bed but he felt it’s duration would probably be limited to a seven year lifespan on an adjustable bed, so not sure if I should go this route or not.

Both beds would be built and he could get them to us by end of week if we let him know by Monday.

Mattress Firm
Next we visited the chain store Mattress Firm. I told the very kind sales lady that I was looking for an adjustable bed, preferably a latex bed. She told me that they didn’t sell latex beds because that material wore down the fastest. I asked if that were true for Talalay latex and said it was which was why they didn’t carry any latex beds. This information was a disagreement of opinion compared to Dilworth Mattress Factory’s website that states that latex has been known to last 20 years before needing to be replaced. They said that certani innerspring mattresses would work fine with adjustable bed frames. In fact, the prices for a queen sized Simmons innerspring bed with a less featured adjustable frame were about the same as the latex mattress and frame at Dilworth’s.

Mattress Firm recommended that we go with a Tempur Pedic Tempur Cloud Supreme for a person who is laying in bed all day. This mattress is a little higher but in the same price range as the latex bed we were considering. I didn’t expect to like this bed, but I did; however, I think that Tempur Pedic’s Tempur Ergo Premier adjustable bed price is outrageous.

I’ve read that memory foam beds are harder to move in, which is why I didn’t really consider this one, but it didn’t seem harder to move in. The latex bed did have more bounce back than sink in when trying to push off it, but both seemed OK but neither great for moving in.

I know that the major brands are not what this board is about; but I felt that I had to at least try the Tempur Pedic bed considering that it’s supposed to be therapeutic. Plus, Mattress Firms gives you 100 days to return a mattress, which is nice. They also had all beds ready for delivery by tomorrow.

Buying a bed for another person is difficult, therefore, after that long introduction, here’s my inquiry.

QUESTION: Does anyone have any recommendation for a mattress for someone who is bed stricken and has severe arthritic back pain?

Hi electricrelish,

I’m sorry to hear about your father’s illness … and my thoughts are with you in what must be a very difficult time for you.all of you.

I have talked with Alan at Dilworth and he is certainly knowledgeable and experienced and not surprisingly he is giving you reliable information and I would tend to lean towards his recommendations for the component latex mattress (a mattress where the layers can be rearranged or replaced individually) for all the reasons he mentioned. The only thing I would clarify (he may be getting inaccurate information from his supplier because it has been mentioned previously) is that blended Talalay latex is a blend of 70% synthetic and 30% natural rubber but it is a very high quality and durable material. It is also very resilient which would help with ease of movement on the mattress.

[quote]I also told the owner that I have moved back in with my parents and was sleeping on the couch. Since my father doesn’t like the single adjustable bed, I was considering ordering a Tufs and Needles mattress Twin XL for $375 to replace the Sinomax mattress. He told me that he would buid me a twin xl innerspring mattress if I preferred to put on the adjustable bed but he felt it’s duration would probably be limited to a seven year lifespan on an adjustable bed, so not sure if I should go this route or not.

Both beds would be built and he could get them to us by end of week if we let him know by Monday.[/quote]

While there is no way for me to know which one would work best for you in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) between the two mattresses you are considering … the Tuft & Needle is a foam mattress that would probably be a better choice for an adjustable bed than an innerspring mattress (even if it’s made specially to bend at the flex points of the adjustable) and it also has the advantage of being able to test it in your home with little risk because of their return policy so you could see how you like it compared to the innerspring at Dilworth. If you were to try it and decide that you liked the innerspring better you would still have the option to return the T&N for a refund and purchase the innerspring.

[quote]Mattress Firm
Next we visited the chain store Mattress Firm. I told the very kind sales lady that I was looking for an adjustable bed, preferably a latex bed. She told me that they didn’t sell latex beds because that material wore down the fastest. I asked if that were true for Talalay latex and said it was which was why they didn’t carry any latex beds. This information was a disagreement of opinion compared to Dilworth Mattress Factory’s website that states that latex has been known to last 20 years before needing to be replaced. They said that certani innerspring mattresses would work fine with adjustable bed frames. In fact, the prices for a queen sized Simmons innerspring bed with a less featured adjustable frame were about the same as the latex mattress and frame at Dilworth’s.

Mattress Firm recommended that we go with a Tempur Pedic Tempur Cloud Supreme for a person who is laying in bed all day. This mattress is a little higher but in the same price range as the latex bed we were considering. I didn’t expect to like this bed, but I did; however, I think that Tempur Pedic’s Tempur Ergo Premier adjustable bed price is outrageous.

I’ve read that memory foam beds are harder to move in, which is why I didn’t really consider this one, but it didn’t seem harder to move in. The latex bed did have more bounce back than sink in when trying to push off it, but both seemed OK but neither great for moving in.

I know that the major brands are not what this board is about; but I felt that I had to at least try the Tempur Pedic bed considering that it’s supposed to be therapeutic. Plus, Mattress Firms gives you 100 days to return a mattress, which is nice. They also had all beds ready for delivery by tomorrow.[/quote]

Major brands are actually one of the most important parts of what this site is all about but the main focus is to help consumers learn why to avoid them not why to buy them because they either use much lower quality and less durable materials than most of the smaller local or regional manufacturers or in the case of the few of them that do use higher quality materials such as Tempurpedic because they are in a significantly higher budget range than other similar mattresses that use the same or better quality materials and are in significantly lower budget ranges. I would also avoid the major chain stores such as Mattress Firm (see the guidelines here). Some people are also very sensitive to the memory foam in Tempurpedic mattresses and with your father already dealing with health challenges this could be an additional reason to avoid them (see here).

Most of the information you were getting here is complete nonsense and is just a “story” that is being told to you in an effort to sell you any mattress that they can convince you to buy rather than “educate” you … regardless of whether it may be suitable for your father (especially because of the motion restriction that goes with memory foam). It certainly isn’t the type of information that I would consider to be accurate or helpful. If you have spent more than a couple of hours on this website the odds are high that you know more meaningful information about mattress materials than the majority of the salespeople in the mainstream industry that sell them. Latex is the most durable foam material in the industry and as Alan mentioned some people have slept well on a latex mattress for decades (see this article).

There is more about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic).

Finally it may also be well worth considering a wool topper. While there is no way to make specific suggestions that would be suitable for all people because each person is unique and there are so many unknowns and variables involved and so many differences between the needs and preferences of different people … wool has an amazing ability to regulate temperature and humidity and the overall microclimate of a sleeping surface and is a favorite material for many people that are more sensitive (such as many people with fibromyalgia) and can also help prevent bedsores from spending long periods of time on a mattress. There is also some good evidence that it can help people reach the deeper and more restorative levels of sleep. There is more information about wool toppers and some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

Good luck with your choices and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any additional comments or questions you may have along the way. When you have a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer that has your best interests at heart that is close to you such as Dilworth … I would tend to work closely with them and put a lot of weight on their suggestions which come from many years of experience.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=50359]
Finally it may also be well worth considering a wool topper. While there is no way to make specific suggestions that would be suitable for all people because each person is unique and there are so many unknowns and variables involved and so many differences between the needs and preferences of different people … wool has an amazing ability to regulate temperature and humidity and the overall microclimate of a sleeping surface and is a favorite material for many people that are more sensitive (such as many people with fibromyalgia) and can also help prevent bedsores from spending long periods of time on a mattress. There is also some good evidence that it can help people reach the deeper and more restorative levels of sleep. There is more information about wool toppers and some of the better sources I’m aware of in post #3 here.

Good luck with your choices and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any additional comments or questions you may have along the way. When you have a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer that has your best interests at heart that is close to you such as Dilworth … I would tend to work closely with them and put a lot of weight on their suggestions which come from many years of experience.

Phoenix[/quote]
Thanks for your response, Phoenix and for this wonderful site. I found this site earlier in the week as I began my research and have been reading it every day. It’s a lot of information to take in and retain but as another poster mentioned, it’s all very fascinating. I did mention this site to Alan at Dilworth, which of course is why I was asking so many more detailed questions compared to when I purchased a bed from their company back in 2000. Alan mentioned that he had spoken to you as well.

Thank you for the tip about wool toppers and their prevention of bed sores. I will look into this matter more closely.

We are leaning in the direction of the latex bed at this time simply because everything I’ve read has indicated that memory foam is harder to move in for the elderly, which is why I am suspect whether a Tempur pedic bed is a good choice for us; even if it is made up of high quality materials.

Component Mattresses
I was doing some more searching about Latex beds online this evening and found a curious quote from Atlantic Beds:

[i]Many websites selling latex mattresses are sending people individual pieces of latex that customers assemble in their homes as component mattresses. If a website tells you that you can swap layers in and out of a mattress, then they’re selling you individual components that are not laminated together.

The Continuous Need To Be Readjusted:

A 6 inch thick queen size latex layer typically weighs over 100lbs. Even a twin size layer weighs around 75lbs. Not only is latex heavy, but it is very bendable, which makes trying to stuff these layers inside of zippered mattress covers and stack the different layers evenly an extremely difficult task.

The layers aren’t laminated so there’s nothing to hold them together in place. Component mattresses often have to be adjusted and readjusted as the layers shift. Can you imagine the effects of a component mattress when used on an adjustable base?[/i]

QUESTION: Is there a true problem with a “component mattress” with an adjustable bed as Atlantic Beds is suggesting?/li]

Thanks in advance!

Hi electricrelish,

[quote] Would the tri-layer of The Performance model made by Dilworth be considered a “component mattress” if one can change the layer order?
[Is there a true problem with a “component mattress” with an adjustable bed as Altantic Beds is suggesting?/li][/quote]

Yes it would be a component mattress with a zip cover and individual layers that can be rearranged or even exchanged if necessary.

There is more about glued vs unglued layers in post #2 here and the posts it links to but it’s not an issue I would be concerned with and there are thousands of people who use component latex mattresses on adjustable beds with no problem at all in spite of what some retailers will say that only sell mattresses that have glued layers.

Phoenix

I’m very sorry to hear about your father - my own father had very much the same course of his prostate cancer back in 1998-1999. By the time the cancer had spread to his bones, they tried radiation as a palliative therapy without much success. The radiation combined with the bone mets did leave him in quite a weakened condition.

While I really can’t make any suggestions about buying a mattress for your dad at this time, I can tell you what happened in my father’s case - although certainly everyone is different.

He had slept on one of the Dunlop latex mattresses that Sears sold back in the 1960s since he bought it and loved the bed. Eventually, though, it became impossible for him to use his bed any longer and the home health agency that was involved said that the best solution was a hospital bed set up in the living room, where he could use the rails to help him get up when necessary and at night the rails could be raised to prevent him from accidentally rolling out of bed.

He slept in the hospital bed the last few weeks of his life, until he was admitted to hospital for the last few days of his life. For him, it had become a matter of what he needed rather than what he liked. He really needed the rails on the hospital bed raised at night when his pain got to the point where he needed strong pain meds and would have been in danger of a fall from the bed without the rails.

If you don’t have either Hospice or Home Health involved, I will say they were of immense help to our family. People who are accustomed to dealing with the seriously ill patient might be in a good position to help you decide what to do at this point about a bed/mattress.

Good luck, no matter what you decide.

[quote=“Clawdia” post=50374]I’m very sorry to hear about your father - my own father had very much the same course of his prostate cancer back in 1998-1999. By the time the cancer had spread to his bones, they tried radiation as a palliative therapy without much success. The radiation combined with the bone mets did leave him in quite a weakened condition.

While I really can’t make any suggestions about buying a mattress for your dad at this time, I can tell you what happened in my father’s case - although certainly everyone is different.

He had slept on one of the Dunlop latex mattresses that Sears sold back in the 1960s since he bought it and loved the bed. Eventually, though, it became impossible for him to use his bed any longer and the home health agency that was involved said that the best solution was a hospital bed set up in the living room, where he could use the rails to help him get up when necessary and at night the rails could be raised to prevent him from accidentally rolling out of bed.

He slept in the hospital bed the last few weeks of his life, until he was admitted to hospital for the last few days of his life. For him, it had become a matter of what he needed rather than what he liked. He really needed the rails on the hospital bed raised at night when his pain got to the point where he needed strong pain meds and would have been in danger of a fall from the bed without the rails.

If you don’t have either Hospice or Home Health involved, I will say they were of immense help to our family. People who are accustomed to dealing with the seriously ill patient might be in a good position to help you decide what to do at this point about a bed/mattress.

Good luck, no matter what you decide.[/quote]
Thx for your post. Hospice came today but my father doesn’t want a hospital bed, so we’ll play it by ear for now. In the meantime, we want to get the most comfy bed we can.

We made the decision to go with the Dilworth Mattress Factory The Performance mattress (Queen size; 10-inch; 3-layer Talalay Latex Bed) with the Transitional Sleep System TS200 adjustable bed frame with the accessories (wheel castors and 2-inch leg extenders). The bed will be built this week and delivered on Saturday as requested. We’re really excited!

In case you’re interested in the deck-on-deck design of the TS200 adjustable bed frame, I’ve included a link to the user’s manual below.

Transitional Sleep T200 user manual

Hi electricrelish,

I think you’re making a good choice for your father … and congratulations on your new mattress (and adjustable) :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any feedback you have the chance to share once you’ve received it and your father has the chance to sleep on it.

Thanks for linking the user manual for your HSM TS200 adjustable as well.

Phoenix

I slept two nights on my parents’ new 3-layer Dilworth Mattress The Performance Talalay Latex bed because my Dad felt too weak to walk up the stairs, but he finally made it back today. The bed was awesome… I felt very supported,. It will take some getting used to as it’s a very different feel that anything else I’ve ever slept on, so all I can say is that it feels very supportive and definitely has that nice bounce back feeling that latex is known for.

Wow, is it ever noticeable if you don’t have the right pillow, especially as a side sleeper. A mattress that supports the rest of your body will definitely reveal too low of a loft in one’s pillow for sure.

One day, my father got up and then found he couldn’t make it where he was walking to and ended up laying on the carpet and felt too weak to pull himself up due to anemia… Although, he’s really not heavy, he’ s too heavy for my 5 ft mother, so she just stayed in the room with him. She laid on the bed while he was on the floor, and she fell asleep. Someone eventually came over and helped my father get back into the bed. When my mother was telling me the story she remarked how comfortable the bed was considering she fell asleep in it, which I thought was hilarious. While on the floor, my father had no idea she had drifted to sleep.

Hi electricrelish,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I hope that your dad is doing as well on his new mattress as you and your mom seem to be.

You’re certainly right about the importance of a suitable pillow that keeps your head and neck in good alignment and a more “supportive” mattress can often need a pillow with a higher loft.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=51225]Hi electricrelish,

I hope that your dad is doing as well on his new mattress as you and your mom seem to be.
Phoenix[/quote]
Thanks for all your help, Phoenix. I forgot to mention whether my father likes it or not because he’s not the type to give you much feedback unless he can’t stand it. He made a point to crawl upstairs yesterday just so he could get back to his bed. His anemia makes him lightheaded and dizzy when he stands. Getting a blood transfusion is another battle we have going on right now with doctors when we all know he needs one, but I digress. I had offered to move the new bed downstairs in the den, which was my mother’s and my preference, but he said he wanted his privacy. He said he was much more comfortable in the new bed than on the couch, which isn’t saying much, but that’s about all of the feedback he’ll give.

Incidentally, his back pain has disappeared., but it’s not because of the bed. I finally correlated it as a side effect of a Xgeva shot that the doctor was giving him every month to strengthen his bones. He missed a month and his pain disappeared, so I strongly advised him to not take his doctor’s advice and to stop getting the shot. The back pain has not returned whatsoever whereas the doctor said it was the cancer and arthritis causing the pain, so they prescribed morphine, which he no longer needs. Why the doctor could not see that his recommendation was causing the problem is beyond me. It feels like I’m talking to a salesman at Mattress Firm who’s been brainwashed to direct the customer to the wrong solution. Considering that the doctor makes a hefty sum by selling Xgeva is most likely the answer. Again, I digress.

I was thinking of getting another Twin XL mattress for downstairs on single adjustable bed frame that we have. It was going to be for me, but it may be better suited for him, so in case he wants to go downstairs and can’t get back, he will have a bed ready for him… The fact that he prefers the new bed over all the other beds in the house and isn’t complaining about the bed, are the only indicators we have that he likes it, so we’ll take it.

Hi electricrelish,

Sometimes you have to “read between the lines” to find out what some people are thinking but based on the feedback he’s given you he seems to like the mattress which is good news.

Thanks for the additional update and it’s good to hear that you seem to have tracked down the reason for his back pain (and eliminated the morphine) as well!

I can only imagine all the challenges you must be facing with your fathers illness but it appears that you are dealing with them really well and it’s always a good sign when you can still find humor in difficult situations.

Phoenix