Select Foam and CertiPUR

I’ve spent a couple of weeks researching a new foam mattress for me and my wife and have narrowed it down to two, I think.

I was all set on the Restava Astoria because of its advertised similarity to the Tempur-Pedic Allura that we tried and thought was the best compromise for the two of us. Then I came across the Select Foam Aurora-HD which appears by all accounts to be almost exactly like the Tempur-Pedic Allura. I really liked what I saw and the reviews that I had read.

Since Select Foam is on your list of recommended companies, I was just about sold on the more expensive mattress until I realized that Select Foam’s mattresses are not on the list of CertiPUR-US companies as is Restava. I made the mistaken assumption that your list of recommended companies were all certified. Rats!

Do you have any insight as to why Select Foam has not made the list? My guess is that all their foam is imported, although they state that their foam has no chemical smell and he mattress we are looking at also used some percentage of soy based polyols in its production which led me to believe that their foams were manufactured here in the US.

Boy, this goes round and round… :S

Thanks for this fine site, Phoenix and all the great help you provide to the members.

Hi Rockethead26,

All the foam they use is made in North America and as far as I’m aware their foam manufacturer is CertiPur certified as well (although there are some smaller North American foam manufacturers that make some high quality foam that aren’t CertiPur certified). I personally have no concerns about any of the foam made in North America (you can see the criteria I use for memory foam mattresses here) but of course each person may have very different criteria than I do.

CertiPur is an expensive proposition so there are many mattress manufacturers that use CertiPur certified foam that don’t believe it’s worth it to pay for inclusion on the list.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix! That’s good news.