Select Foam Cirrus Luxe return/exchange

Hi all,

It has been a little over 2 months since I purchased the Cirrus Luxe from Selcect Foam and since have decided the mattress is not for me. After the initial “break in” period, I have been waking with low back pain and stiffness and have noticed myself tossing and turning the more I sleep on it. While I appreciate the soft and comfortable feel of the mattress, both my gf and I feel as though we are sinking into a hole when lying on it. I contacted Peter at SF to inquire about the exchange for a different mattress and came away a bit confused. I asked about the Cirrus Supreme, however Peter told me this bed is actually softer than the Luxe. This is different from what their website states. He suggested the Regalis or the Aurora, however when trying their Tempurpedic counterparts in the store, I did not find the Allura comfortable and the Rhapsody seems to have a higher level of conformity, thus “sinking in” more.

Bottom line, I’m looking for greater support for spinal alignment and less of a sinking in feeling but something that still has a “softer” feel. Based on the descriptions on Select Foam’s website and actually talking to Select Foam, I am having a hard time differentiating between the Luxe and the Supreme. I thought I had a fairly good understanding of this based on materials but perhaps i’m missing something here.

FWIW I did test all mattresses for the PPP on their Tempurpedic counterparts at several stores with pictures. What I found was that the same models tended to vary on pressure relief and postural alignment.

For those interested;
I am 6’4", 200 lb, athletic build, side sleeper/back sleeper
She is 5’4", 130 lb, athletic build, stomach sleeper/side sleeper

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated on this. I’d also be happy to answer any questions regarding the mattress, customer service, and the process of buying/returning from Select Foam. Thanks all.

Hi amr2625,

Thanks for the feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

The idea of softness and firmness has many different parts and a mattress can be softer in one way and at the same time be firmer or more supportive (or evenly supportive) in another way. There is more about what I call the different “types” or “species” of softness in post #15 here. There is also more about the relationship between what I call primary support, secondary support, and pressure relief in post #4 here. In my conversations with Peter he clearly understands this so rating a mattress as softer or firmer really depends on which type of softness or firmness you are discussing.

“Overall” … the Supreme would “feel” firmer than the Luxe but it’s also true that the Luxe has higher density materials which would be more conforming and more evenly supportive which means that for some body types it could lead to better alignment. This is all part of the “art and science” of mattress construction.

The HD series use higher density foams yet so they can be even more “supportive” even though they won’t “feel” as soft as mattresses that use 4 lb memory foam. The perception of “overall softness” is very subjective and it’s usually much more effective to focus on PPP rather than just how soft or firm a mattress “feels”.

This is one of the challenges with memory foam because it changes in response to temperature, humidity, and the length of time the material is compressed (as well as on the age of the mattress and whether the materials are new or are already broken in). Different people will also have different perceptions of the same mattress even if they are similar in body type and sleeping positions because each person has their own “definition” of soft and firm.

Based on my conversations with Peter … the good news is that he clearly understand all of this and can help you use your experience on your Cirrus Luxe as a reference point for deciding which mattress may work best for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the response and links. Based on what I’ve read, it seems the comfort layer of the Cirrus Luxe may be too thick for me and I am sinking too deep. I like the soft “feel” of the mattress but am getting no greater benefit beyond the initial pressure relief. Based on this, would my excessive sinking into the Luxe be caused by the top layer of 2.5" 4lb foam or the combination of this with the 2" of 8lb foam underneath it being too thick? Would this make the comfort layer of the Luxe 4.5" total or is the 2" of 8lb foam considered a support or transitional layer? (A little confused by the wording on the website again as it refers to the 2" of 8lb foam for “deep down pressure relief”). This will help me narrow down the specific comfort layer I need.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Regalis HD coupled with a select foam mattress topper to improve the soft “feel” and increased pressure relief?

Thank you again for your time and help!

Hi amr2625,

There is no way to quantify the specific layer that may be causing any issues or know how much each layer is compressing (outside of measurements in a lab) because all of the layers (memory foam and otherwise) interact and compress together and there are many different types of memory foam that each have different properties. This can only be done with personal testing or knowledge and experience with the mattress as a whole “system”. How much you sink into a mattress doesn’t matter as much as how “evenly” you sink in so I tend to use symptoms as a guideline along with the knowledge and experience of an actual retailer or manufacturer who would know more about how their specific mattresses compare than anyone else or any theory that didn’t take into account the specifics of their particular materials and designs.

The thickness and softness of a comfort layer along with the compression modulus of the material (how quickly it becomes firmer with deeper compression), it’s “point resilience” (contouring and conforming properties) and in the case of memory foam the environmental factors of temperature and humidity, the heat produced by each person, the bedding they use, their weight distribution, the temperature sensitivity and response time of the memory foam, and many other factors can all combine together to either produce good or poor alignment and different “feels”. It’s always a combination of factors in terms of how the layers interact together and with each person and the only way to put all the pieces of the puzzle together would be based on your own individual testing or experience or with the help and guidance of a knowledgeable and experienced salesperson (usually in a phone conversation where more nuanced information can be discussed much more easily and completely) who had your best interests in mind.

In general terms … thicker/softer comfort layers will “allow” the heavier parts of the body to sink “down” more before they “reach” the firmer support layers while at the same time they may “stop” the lighter parts of the body from sinking in enough if they are too firm. In addition to this, thicker / softer comfort layers can also provide better support to the parts of the spine that are more “recessed” and need to be in firmer contact with the mattress to help with good alignment. The specific properties of the comfort layers though will also modify and affect how much each part of the body sinks in or sinks down relative to the others because none of the layers act completely independently.

Thinner comfort layers will tend to feel firmer than the same materials in thicker layers because they will generally “allow” more of the feel of the firmer layers below them to come through. All else being equal they will also tend to “stop” the heavier parts of the body from sinking in more than thicker comfort laers. There are also many counter intuitive parts to mattress theory and design because in some cases softer comfort layers can feel firmer than a firmer comfort layer of the same thickness for some people because they may be sinking in more with the heavier parts of their body and feeling more of the firmness of the support layers underneath than they would if the same thickness of comfort layers was firmer. In other words … firmer can feel softer in some cases and thicker softer comfort layers can be more supportive (or more evenly supportive) in some cases.

One mattress that has a certain thickness of memory foam of a certain density may be very different from another mattress that used the same thickness and density of memory foam made by a different manufacturer on the same base layer because of the differences between different types of memory foam (see post #9 here and post #8 here).

More detailed generic information can be useful as a guideline or starting point or to help you know when someone is knowledgeable and experienced but as soon as you find yourself “studying” or trying to use more complex combinations of information as a way to choose a mattress you are most likely well on the way to “paralysis by analysis” or “information overwhelm” or making a choice that may be just as inappropriate as making a choice based on too little information.

You can quickly become overwhelmed with seemingly conflicting or overly complex information if you try to choose a mattress based on individual specs or use them as anything more than a generic guideline (outside of “quality” specs that can help identify weak links or the relative durability of two mattresses).

You will most often be much better off by “connecting with experts” who already have the knowledge and experience that you would otherwise need to take a great deal of time to learn than you would by analyzing individual specs and trying to imagine how they may feel or interact together without the experience and reference points that would make the more technical information meaningful.

The Regalis HD uses high quality materials and has no obvious weak links in the mattress so it would make a good choice for someone that was using the Rhapsody as a reference point. It would be more “supportive” under the heavier parts of your body. For those who wanted some additional softness (based on their personal experience from sleeping on the Regalis by itself) then the Regalis plus a topper could certainly make sense. Your own experience will be the real “test” of how either the Regalis by itself or the Regalis plus a topper will work for you and up until that point the “educated intuition and judgement” of the people you are working with along with your own testing and sleeping experiences and best judgement is the best way I know to make the choices that have the highest odds of success.

Phoenix

Thank you, as this helps me much better understand the complexities of how the different layers work together. I had the opportunity to go back to the store and try several of the different models again. I was curious as to your take on the composition of Select Foam’s Featherlight Supreme with the addition of the latex. It seems to me to have a very good feel of softness combined with support. I did some searching both on the forums here and the internet and can’t seem to find much on it one way or another.

On a side note, Peter at Select Foam has been very helpful thus far in helping me find a solution.

Hi amr2625,

You can see some comments on this type of construction (a thinner layer of memory foam over a more resilient foam like latex or in this case Springtex which is a very high quality polyfoam with “latex like” properties) in post #2 here and post #8 here.

As a personal preference (which may be different from someone else’s preferences) … I prefer the “feel” of thinner layers of a more resilient material combined with memory foam vs thicker layers of memory foam because you sink “in” to the material less and I like a more resilient and responsive feel. I personally like the more resilient material (HR polyfoam or latex) over the memory foam more than under it but other people prefer the “feel” of having the memory foam on top.

The quality of the materials they use is similar or better than the Tempurpedic Weightless collection they use as a reference point and there are no “weak links” in the mattress.

Phoenix