Select Foam Concerns

After doing quite a bit of research on this site and others, I purchased a mattress from Select Foam on August 9th. I followed up the next day with an email into their “questions” email address to inquire about average shipping time. Having never received a response, I called later that week and was told it should ship out the following week. When that didn’t happen, I called the customer service line and was again told it would be yet another week. On August 21st, I called and spoke with Chris who informed me it would be a few more days. On August 28th, he informed me it would be shipped on 8/31 or 9/1. When I still received no shipping information on 9/2, I emailed Chris and received no response. I followed that email with a phone call to him on 9/3. Still no response whatsoever and I can’t even get anyone to answer when I call their 800 number. We are almost 4 weeks out from when I placed my order and I have received nothing but empty promises (and a foundation that does me no good without a mattress). I’m extremely frustrated. To have spent over $2,000 on an internet purchase and received zero communication from the company other than what I have initiated (which is now also going unanswered) is beyond disappointing to me. Their website states that the 90 day trial begins when you place your order. That’s quite concerning when you haven’t received shipping notification and 25 days have already passed. I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to do from here. I was looking forward to the mattress, but now have obvious reservations and am considering cancelling my order tomorrow and disputing the charge to my credit card if necessary. Any insight you all have into this situation is much appreciated.

Hi jgt614,

Thanks for taking the time to share your unfortunate experiences with Select Foam.

It’s very disappointing to me to hear that they are still having issues with a lack of communications and slow customer service and unfortunately you aren’t the only one that has experienced these type of issues after a purchase as you can see in post #4 here and the posts it links to. This is also the reason that I included a link to the same post in their descriptions in the online lists here and here that are linked in the tutorial.

If I was in your shoes and I still wanted to purchase the mattress I would probably call and email them (both) one more time to let them know that if they aren’t able to ship the mattress in a reasonable timeframe (I would say no more than 48 hours) and confirm that the mattress has been shipped to your satisfaction (with a courier tracking number) and also confirm in writing that their trial period will begin when you receive the mattress that you intend to cancel the order.

It would also be understandable if you decided to cancel the order anyway given their lack of communications and followup in which case I would call and email them to cancel the order and request that they issue an immediate refund.

If they don’t respond to either one in a reasonable timeframe (I would suggest 48 hours once again) then I would initiate a dispute with your credit card.

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

I plan on eventually writing up a similar post - but the long and short is that I have had a very similar experience with Select Foam. I ordered a 5.3 lb memory foam topper and they never shipped it. Several weeks and phone calls later, they shipped me a 4 LB topper instead of 5.3 lb. When I told them I received the wrong weight topper, they said it is basically the same as 5.3 LB and that I should just try it out. When I said I did not want 4LB and wanted to return it - it again has taken weeks. I am still waiting on the return shipping label after 5 weeks of waiting.

My sense is that they will get you the product eventually but it will be like pulling teeth and may be the wrong product. All in all, a horrible experience - I will not order from them again and do not recommend them. I do not think they should be a recommended vendor on the site to be honest.

Hi djgoldb,

While it’s not a decision that I would ever take lightly and their mattresses do use good quality materials and are good “value” compared to other similar mattresses … because of the “pattern” of customer service issues that they have experienced over time I am currently in the process of reconsidering their membership here.

Phoenix

NOTE ADDED: Because of ongoing customer service issues and delays Select Foam’s membership has been terminated and I would read the warning here before considering them.

I did receive a follow up today which stated that my mattress should ship Tuesday or Wednesday of next week…and that our 90 day trial will begin when we receive the mattress. If I do not have shipping confirmation by the middle of next week, I will be cancelling my order. It’s unfortunate that the customer service side is so lacking when I have heard such good things about the actual product. I’m still hopeful my situation will be resolved. Thank you for your input, Phoenix.

Hi jgt614,

I completely agree with your thoughts.

I also talked with Matt today who is one of the owners of Select Foam to let him know about this topic (and to reinforce my ongoing disappointment with some of their customer service issues) and hopefully he will be able to resolve your situation and make sure that your shipping confirmation and your mattress are received in a timely manner.

I hope that you have the chance to keep us up to date about how everything works out.

Phoenix

Finally received tracking info on 9/11 with an anticipated delivery date of 9/15. I wish I could say the customer service or communication improved, but neither did. I just hope I’m happy with the actual mattress. I fear the return process should I not be. I am looking forward to trying it with an open mind, though.

Hi jgt614,

It’s good to hear that your mattress has shipped even though it’s later than it should have been (and later than the dates they mentioned previously).

I hope so as well and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Even if a vendor is recommended by TMU, it’s in our best interest to review their reputation with another source, such as BBB, etc.

For the past 24 months, Select Foam has been rated D- by BBB, Miami, FL. for all the reasons stated in the above posts.

Hi PapaMike,

I completely agree that it’s always a good idea to do as much research from reliable sources as possible before making any mattress purchase but I am not a big fan of the BBB for many reasons. You can see my thoughts about the BBB in post #3 and #4 here and points #1 and #5 in the comments here from another member and in post #4 here.

There have been many examples (including some that I know about personally) where good businesses have in effect been held to ransom by a single complaint (such as being given an “F” rating) which “magically” disappeared the day after they joined and paid and was changed to an “A”. While they do perform a service … they are not my favorite business (and that’s all they are) and I would especially take the time to read and watch the article and video here done by ABC News which also has some good information about the BBB that calls their reliability and integrity into serious question.

While I would use a BBB rating as one of many “data points” in my research … I would also take them with a “grain of salt” and I would always make sure that you read the specifics of any BBB complaints (many consumers make completely unreasonable and unjustified complaints there that can have a very negative effect on a business’ rating) and also note the number of complaints before taking them too seriously.

Having said that … in the case of Select Foam … the specifics of the complaints on the BBB would certainly add an additional caution about choosing whether to deal with them.

Phoenix

I am having similar issues with SelectFoam as well.

Now that you have the mattress do you think it was worth the wait?

We finally received the mattress last Wednesday after another delay because they shipped it to the wrong address. While that was frustrating, the mattress was well packaged and it unwrapped nicely. No smell and we could sleep on it that night. So far, we find it quite comfortable.

Hi jgt614,

Thanks for the update … and it’s good to see that you finally received your mattress and that your initial impressions so far are good. I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a little longer.

@WillB,

It’s disappointing to hear that you have also been experiencing delays in receiving your mattress. How long has it been since you ordered it?

Phoenix

I placed my order on August 31st, so it has been over 3 weeks now with no shipment. I contacted them last week and one person told me a couple more days and another person told me mid this week. So I guess I’ll give it to mid this week and if it hasn’t shipped by then I might have to take your suggestion and give them a 48 hour window to fulfill my order or have it cancelled.

Thanks,
Will

Hi WillB,

That’s probably what I would do as well.

I hope you have the chance to let us know whether they ship your mattress in the time frame they said they would.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix.

Yes, I will be sure to post an update with the resolution.

I’m not very hopeful at this point that I will receive anything but empty promises, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Thanks,
Will

So I talked with their CSR name Susan yesterday. I didn’t impose my ultimatum but instead decided to give her one more chance on an estimated ship date. I was a bit annoyed when she asked if she could call or email me back within 24 hours with a response but she had kept her word about this previously so I let it slide.

To my surprise she emailed me around 2pm EST today (well within the 24 hours) with a tracking number. I was even more surprised that when I checked it, it was already on the truck for delivery. Given I am in the same state as them, but I was still surprised.

Anyways, it just got here. I’m happy it is finally here but there was no sign of the “free” pillows I was promised at order time in compensation for being charged tax (since the website says no tax… guess they need an asterisk for Florida).

I’ll start a new thread with my thoughts on the mattress itself. Just wanted to let you know the resolution to the delayed shipping problem… Now I just have to decide if I’m willing to haggle with them over the pillows or not. My order was through Peter (aka Pedro) but his email seems to be bouncing now. Not sure if he left or if that was a tactical move… seems a bit fishy though.

When or if you receive the free pillows, I would be interested in knowing if they have tags on them.

Hi WillB,

Thanks for the update and for letting us know that you received your mattress … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

The pillows may be coming in a separate shipment so I would probably give the pillows a few days but if they don’t arrive then I would definitely call them so that they can send it to you. There shouldn’t be any “haggling” since they said they would send them to you.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix