Select Foam specs?

I see that Select Foam is a recommended brand by Phoenix/Mattress Underground. One of the guidelines states;
“1. Never buy a mattress that includes memory foam without knowing whether the foam has been certified by CertiPur, Oeko-Tex or a reputable testing agency for both chemicals and offgassing. The minimum alternative is to make sure that you can verify that it is North American made. If the outlet you are looking at doesn’t include this information and/or won’t give it to you with a phone call (or if this information isn’t publicly available) … pass them by. There are too many who do to spend any time here.”
I don’t see any certifications listed on their website. Can anyone confirm if all the materials and manufacturing is 100% USA? I also see some descrepancies listed on the website. Regalis HD 12" Main description says “1.5” 7lb Soy SELECT-HD™ Memory Foam " just below that it says “Regalis-HD™ 12” uses an 8lb density breathable Memory Foam" Whats up with that? What is the quality of the base foam? Also in the body of the description one part says “dry-cleanable suede-lined micro-tex stretch cover” and below that is says “The cover is 100% machine washable and has a high-grade zipper for easy removal” One part says micro-tex stretch cover and then it says Dupont COOLMAX cover. I’m not sure what to believe??

Why so many descrepancies on their own site? Makes me a bit leary and wondering if I should still give them a shot??

Hi rb,

Most of these questions would probably be answered with a phone call to Select Foam but I’m certainly happy to make a few comments.

Yes … all of their foam is manufactured and poured in the US. Like most manufacturers they have used various foam manufacturers over the years but all of them have been American as well.

I agree that there are some discrepancies on their site as they have changed the designs or details over the years and added information without always changing or updating some of the “old” information in other parts or sections of the site. This is not uncommon in the industry and many smaller manufacturers aren’t exactly IT experts and are more mattress experts but they have been working on going through their site and “cleaning it up” to eliminate any small details or old or outdated information that is no longer accurate. This is an ongoing process with most sites including theirs which is only partly complete. A phone call will quickly clear up any discrepancies that exist as the information they provide you on the phone will always be up to date.

In the specific case of the 7 and 8 lb gel memory foam they are in the process of changing their Select HD foam to a different high density gel memory foam that they believe is an improvement but this is a very recent change and the website doesn’t reflect the change yet. Their current Select HD foam is 7.2 lb gel memory foam (they list it as 7) and with all the mattresses that say Select HD they will be 7.2 lb gel memory foam. They told me their site should be updated in a few days as this is a very recent change.

Their base foam varies with their mattresses but all of it is high quality (2.2 lbs or higher I believe) but they will provide the specific density for any of their mattresses when you talk with them.

One of their areas of specialty and specific interest is mattress covers and they are always looking for cover materials that are an improvement as new technology or products become available with their suppliers but of course when they change something some of the old descriptions aren’t noticed and don’t get changed. As you pointed out they are not as good at this part of their business but as far as I know the current cover is the Coolmax microsuede (washable) but once again a phone call will give you the most current information.

I certainly agree with you that manufacturers that refine their designs more than others often have information on their sites that is conflicting or out of date but this is also one of the reasons that I suggest to always talk to a manufacturer or retailer in person so that any of these types of discrepancies or any other questions you may have can be cleared up or answered. They are always the most reliable source of information because my own information about a specific manufacturer or mattress can easily be out of date as well if they make changes that I’m not yet aware of.

Of course which manufacturers you are most comfortable dealing with is up to each person to decide but as you know they are a member here which means that like the other members here (and even some manufacturers that aren’t members here) I believe they are among the best quality/value available although I agree with you that discrepancies in websites can be frustrating … until you talk to them :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix;
Is there a certain person at SelectFoam you would recommend talking to for my questions? There aren’t any certifications listed or advertised on their site in writing and the number of discrepancies makes it a bit hard to just take their word for it. You may have dealt with them at greater length and have the knowledge to discern if what you have been told is legit. But for the average semi informed consumer with no previous dealings its a bigger leap of faith. If I hadn’t come across this website (thanks) and read your recommendation I would have passed on them immediately for the poor and confusing info on their site.

Hi rb,

All the people there that usually answer the phone are knowledgeable and helpful but outside of Matt (the owner) Juan and Peter are the ones I have talked with the most that you will likely talk to on the phone.

I certainly agree with you and there are many manufacturers or retailers (including some of the members here) where their site doesn’t fully indicate the quality, value, knowledge, or service behind it. In most cases consumers are drawn to sites that are more “slick” and heavily advertised but which often don’t have the same kind of quality or value in their mattresses as many of the options available here. It’s often the difference between dealing with “marketing people” or “mattress people”.

One of the goals of the site of course is to help people learn more about “how to choose” so they can identify the choices that they may not otherwise realize are good options and look right past in their research…

Phoenix

Thanks for the input. For the record I might as well see if I’m on the right path in your opinion. My wife and I currently have a CalKing Tempur-Pedic Contour Select for about 1 year. This replaced our Classic TP mattress no longer made. We recently got an adjustable split base and are looking for new mattresses. I am 6’4" 200 pounds, one back surgery and probably another soon. My wife 5’8" 170 curvy. We do like firm but recently spending more time in bed with my back thinking I would like something a little “softer” (more pressure point relief). And this thing is damn hot even though we have gotten used to it over the last 10 years. Something cooler would be really great. I am looking at the SelectFoam Regalis. We are both mostly side sleepers but dont want to sink to far in. Does the Regalis sound about right?

Hi rb,

There are too many variables and unknowns to use “theory at a distance” to predict which mattress you will do best with but mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here has more about how to make the best comfort choices. If you are following the steps listed in post #1 here one by one then IMO you are on the right track :slight_smile:

The Regalis is very similar to the Tempurpedic Rhapsody and if you talk with Select Foam they would suggest that you use the Rhapsody as a guideline. I would make sure that you use the testing guidelines in the “read first” post to test carefully and objectively for PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) on the Rhapsody and if it works well for you then the Regalis would likely make a good choice as well and is much better quality/value.

Phoenix

Well I have now read everything there is here on mattress education. After reading everything it seems pretty aparent that latex is superior to memory foam. My problem now is that I had a baseline understanding of memory foam firmness having owned one for 10 years. I have absolutely no idea how I would estimate what kind of layering of latex would be right for me. I have limited mobility and need to purchase online is there an online seller that is preferred or more knowledgable that would be able to get me set up with the right latex bed?

Hi rb,

While there may be many people who agree with you … there would also be many who wouldn’t and the choice of materials really depends on personal preferences. No matter what the pros and cons of each material may be from the perspective of their specifications … if you don’t like how a material feels or performs then it wouldn’t be the best choice or you and there are certainly people that don’t like latex just like there are people who don’t like other types of materials or components as well. Both can be used in a very high quality mattress and in the right design can be the “perfect mattress” for some people. While my own personal preference is latex … there are many others I know who are very knowledgeable that could sleep on anything they wanted that prefer memory foam and others yet that prefer an innerspring with latex or natural fibers for a comfort layer. I would be cautious choosing a material that you haven’t tested in person or aren’t familiar with.

If you do decide to choose latex … Post #2 here has more about how to make the best comfort/support choices and there is a list of the members here that sell online in post #21 here who are all among the best quality/value available. Many of them sell latex mattresses with a wide range of designs and options. When you talk with them they can all provide you with some good guidance based on the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you in terms of body type, sleeping style, and preferences.

Phoenix

rb,

Just to let you know I purchased my Cirrus Luxe mattress from Select Foam. No issues or concerns. I’d order from them again. They very forthcoming with any questions and concerns you may have. I dealt with Juan and Peter, both were very professional.

“1. Never buy a mattress that includes memory foam without knowing whether the foam has been certified by CertiPur, Oeko-Tex or a reputable testing agency for both chemicals and offgassing. The minimum alternative is to make sure that you can verify that it is North American made. If the outlet you are looking at doesn’t include this information and/or won’t give it to you with a phone call (or if this information isn’t publicly available) … pass them by. There are too many who do to spend any time here.”

They don’t appear to be certified. How can the source of materials, the grade and the quality be verified without the certification?
I don’t count a phone call to the people making the claims as a viable verification, that just wouldn’t make sense.

Hi rb,

All their foams are made in North America and I have even had detailed conversations with them about the pros and cons of some of the different foams they have considered from time to time (all of which were American). I am certainly satisfied about where their foams come from but if you don’t count or trust what they tell you (or me) then I can’t think of a way for you to verify it to your satisfaction.

Phoenix