Select Foam vs Brooklyn Bedding

I tend to be a side or back sleeper and do not sleep hot. 6’ 215 with lower and upper back issues. Fiance is 5’3 135, back sleeper.

Narrowed choices down to

Brooklyn Bedding (FREE King Latex pillows + mattress protector + $150 off, 120 day return policy)
Cool Symphony

Select Foam ($150 OFF or FREE foundation, 90 day return policy)
Regalis-HD 12"

Going to Tempur tomorrow to verify Rhapsody is preference over Cloud Supreme (then choice would be BB Cool Supreme OR SF Cirrus Supreme-ES 11")

I need advise on foundation as well. Is something like this necessary or is there a better, potentially cheaper option?

http://www.michigandiscountmattress.com/box-spring-kd-foundation.htm

I have been told by a memory foam manufacturer that plywood is fine under these mattresses. To address the potential lack of moisture, i figured i could drill some 1 or 2" holes all over it?

Or maybe its cheaper to get a new platform bed. Too many options! :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Hi BSPHIPPS,

The choices you are looking at are choices between “good and good” and there are no weak links in either of them so this is when I step out of the way so that each member can make a decision based on the parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them. Post #2 here has more about making final choices when there are no clear winners between them.

[quote]I need advise on foundation as well. Is something like this necessary or is there a better, potentially cheaper option?
www.brooklynbedding.com/accessories/foun...genius-hi-rise-frame[/quote]

A suitable support surface (bedframe/foundation or platform bed) would be necesssary yes but this would probably be fine for either one (although if you buy a foundation separately I would always check with a manufacturer or retailer to make sure the foundation you choose meets the warranty criteria). The foundation thread here also has other options that may be worth considering.

Plywood with holes won’t be as breathable as a slatted or wire grid foundation but it would probably be fine in terms of ventilation. It would also depend on what the plywood was resting on and whether it was stable or could shift when you sleep on it.

A good quality platform bed that was strong enough, had a strong and suitable support surface, and had good center support to the floor would probably be more costly than some of the other options you have available but then you would have an actual bed as your part of your bedroom furniture and decor rather than a steel bedframe / foundation or a combination bedframe/foundation (with the wire grid type) which some people may prefer.

Phoenix

Thank you for the response. You mentioned me having to make a choice between “choices between “good and good””. Is there a “very good” or “excellent” I should research prior to making this decision?

I was unaware of the differences in platform beds. I assumed they would all provide good support. Silly me. :smiley: I apparently undervalued the importance of mattress foundation.

Is there a link that provides details for customer satisfaction between the two brands I have listed?

Hi BSPHIPPS,

“Good and good” is just a term I use to indicate that beyond that point that any differences in the “value” of a purchase would be based on what was most important to each person and there are no real “mistakes” in either choice. “Very good” and “excellent” would be based on your own best judgement and which choice was best for you (regardless of whether it may be best for someone else).

I don’t have any sections for reviews on the site (you can see my thoughts about mattress reviews in post #13 here) but there are many review sites all over the web for those that wish to read them.

A forum search on Select Foam or on Dreamfoam or on Ultimate Dreams (you can just click these) will bring up many forum posts that mention each of them but they would include questions and comments along with many members here who have provided feedback after their purchase. You can also do a forum search for the specific mattress like the Cool Symphony or the Regalis. Both of them are members of this site which means I believe they compete well with the best in the industry.

Phoenix

Hey BSPHIPPS,

what did you decide? I am coming to the same conclusion - BB Cool Symphony vs. Select Foam Regalis HD.

both select foam and BB have free foundation offers right now which is awesome.

Unless I am mistaken, the biggect diference I can see is that the Select Foam has an air channel layer, where the Symphony does not.

$1600 Symphony has:
1" 4lb Gel-Infused Memory Foam,
3" 4lb Memory Foam
8" 2.17lb BB HD Foam Core…

$1800 Regalis has:
1.5" 7.2lb Soy SELECT-HD
2.5" 5.3lb Soy SELECT™ Gel Foam Support Layer
8" 2.2lb orthopedic base foam [I think - they don’t really descibe the core]

Thank you for the heads up on the free foundation offer! I’ve been lurking for months but finally decided to create an account and I will probably pull the trigger on the Brooklyn Bedding Symphony. I’ve been looking for something that replicates the Tempurpedic Rhapsody and the Symphony sounds like a safe bet.

Hi RTR,

Assuming you decide to go ahead with your purchase … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

After looking at those stats, why would you choose Brooklyn over select foam? The Brooklyn bed is 12.5% less cost, but at an overall loss of 20% density in foam. Plus the Regalis seems to be a cooler sleeping bed. Just curious. I am strongly considering buying the Regalis myself, so if there’s something I don’t know then I would love to find out!